VOGONS

SC-55 vs VSC vs MS Synth

Topic actions

First post, by Synthoridity

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Many already know that the Virtual Sound Canvas does not sound as good as the real SC-55, but I previously made a comparison video, for those who want to see how similar/dissimilar the VSC is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70mHubXP9Wg

Although some instruments do sound the same, others sound quite different. I am wondering whether or not the VSC actually uses a ROM dump from the SC-55. Some samples are noticeably different, and some parts such as the sweepiness on the Halo Pad are missing completely. It seems like they are errors, possibly from dumping the SC-55 ROM incorrectly, or maybe the differences were caused by software limitations at the time?

The Microsoft GS Synth uses a Roland Sound Canvas sample set, and appears to be the same one from the Virtual Sound Canvas. However, there are also a few differences, such as the Synth Drum. The MS Synth's Synth Drum seems "dumbed down", possibly a result of being converted from a different format.

The VSC and MS Synth are obviously not that great compared to an SC-55. The VSC is better than the MS Synth though; it has effects like reverb, and has more GS instruments than the MS Synth.

Reply 2 of 6, by Synthoridity

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Can you still purchase VSC? And does it run on Windows 8.1?

I just recommend buying a Sound Canvas and a USB midi adapter. It's a worthwhile investment 😀

The VSC is no longer sold by Roland, but there are still copies on eBay...I think. I installed the VSC on Windows 95 and Windows 98. The original VSC won't install on Windows 7 64-bit (and also most likely will not work on Windows 8/8.1 either), but there's an "unofficial" release of the VST plugin version which can be used in a host application that supports VST instruments. Edit: I almost forgot that an SC-55 can apparently be used easily on newer systems. 🤣 The VSC on the other hand doesn't sound good, is hard to find, is problematic to set up, has compatibility issues with newer Windows, etc.

Reply 3 of 6, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What is the difference between Roland VSC-MP1 and Roland VSC 3.23?

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 4 of 6, by Synthoridity

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Stojke wrote:

What is the difference between Roland VSC-MP1 and Roland VSC 3.23?

Roland VSC-MP1 is a boxed "multi-pack" release. It includes the VSC standalone soft synth, plus a DXi version and a VST version. According to Wikipedia, the MP1 release is the only version of VSC that is compatible with NT-based OSes (2000, XP).

Reply 5 of 6, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I agree that using hardware virtually always beats emulation: it simply works. 😀

Reply 6 of 6, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

But still, for games an music system that is only 16MB in size is amazing.
I tried to find software copies of the program MP1 version but nothing.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"