Leaked Windows 9 screenshot

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 105, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

In the end, sales figures speak for themselves, so I'll just leave it at that. ...not even winME wasn't blamed for low pc sales ffs 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

This. And the fact that Ballmer and the old head of the Windows division lost their jobs over Window 8.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 61 of 105, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

They could have just made the Start menu toggle (so it stays up when you press it) and made it fill the screen with icons you can move around. Start menu 2.0 so to speak.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 62 of 105, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So much they could have done - easily - but chose not to. Microsoft's release statement about striving for a unified cross-platform computing experience is clearly at the root of the problem. It didn't have to be this way.

Reply 63 of 105, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Now, Nadella is pushing for a unified core, rather than a unified GUI. It would make it easier for developers.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 65 of 105, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Even so if you do use as much folders and stuff, is start REALLY that difficult to get used to?
I personally don't see much difference from windows 7 other than that. Everything else remained the same.
I dedicate partitions to large projects (like half life / counter strike mapping), makes it easier for me to keep track of stuff.

I guess for me Windows is no longer about GUI but core performance. I wouldn't mind if it looks like Apple OS either probably 😵

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 66 of 105, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Remember when XP first came out and many insisted that the whole interface looked like a cartoon or something? Of course, the XP Start menu wasn't all that different from the 9x start menu.

I'm inclined to agree that there might feasibly be a better alternative to the Start menu out there, since a fully-occupied Start menu can be time-consuming to navigate, but I've never really tried Windows 8 yet, so I don't know if that's a step in the right direction or not. Certainly, the inclusion of similar features in Office 2013 (where you have to jump entirely out of your document to get to the replacement "File" menu, as if we were dealing with some 80's DOS application) makes no sense.

Reply 67 of 105, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Upgraded to Windows 7 pro at long last. If 9 proves to be good it might see my migration in another 5 years and a new build 😉

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 68 of 105, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stojke wrote:

Eventually people who used windows 95 will die/stop using windows/computers.
No need to "devolve" every one else because they cant get used to something that takes 10 minutes to organize,

I've used Windows 95, and I'm only 20 years old. Then again, I got an early start on computer usage too, when I was 3 years old. Win95 was still the newest version around. 😁

Also, who's fucked up idea was it to impose reinstall restrictions on Windows 9? It'll make it impossible to fix a completely broken install unless you buy a new copy! Hopefully they either change it or someone introduces a crack, because there's no way I'm going to use it if that limitation sticks. I'd rather use Windows 8 and put up with its lack of a start menu.

Reply 69 of 105, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stojke wrote:

Eventually people who used windows 95 will die/stop using windows/computers.
No need to "devolve" every one else because they cant get used to something that takes 10 minutes to organize,

How old are you exactly? This is an incredibly ignorant and offensive thing to say. Personally I'm only 23, and I grew up on windows 95 and 98.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 70 of 105, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^ You didn't understand what I tried to say with that. Sooner or later people will move on, no need to drag something onto others.

Personally I don't find much difference between Windows systems besides some minor graphical things, and of course the different core in NT over 9x. But pretty much from my aspect they are all the same - Double click > App works.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 71 of 105, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Win8 introduced a lot of regressions that hamper playability though, it's beyond just the 'emperor's new clothes' and has little about 'wow you guys should die for not accepting change'.

Like for example, Gamemaker games crashing if they play more than 4 samples at once. The games themselves that are affected are unlikely to be fixed.

I used to think Windows 7 sucked a ton because it lowered quality of video playback, but it turned out to be default 'denoise' settings for the drivers of my new video card. I also thought it sucked because of the tablet interface actions conflicting with drawing tablet latency, which can be resolved through a registry hack. This is probably even more obfuscated in Windows 8 given the touch interface nature. Oh let's not forget the whole lot of problems SDL has for not getting along with some of Win7's new devices, but that's just the fault of SDL, something hard for them to accept, denials with that submit-a-patch-or-you're-forever-wrong attitude.

Right now my only grievance with Windows 7 that's definitely Windows 7 is the automatic gain stuff I can't seem to turn off.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 72 of 105, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Windows 8.1 wouldn't not let me change my Microsoft WMO 1.1's polling rate to anything other than 31-125hz and that was enough for me to go back to 7 Sp1

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 73 of 105, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

Right now my only grievance with Windows 7 that's definitely Windows 7 is the automatic gain stuff I can't seem to turn off.

Automatic gain? (are we talking audio or video?)

Reply 74 of 105, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Audio obviously. If you play really loud files, instead of clipping you hear something akin to dynamic range compression. There is no way to turn this off and the only way to bypass it is ASIO or Hardware OpenAL via ALchemy or actual OpenAL by itself.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 76 of 105, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not aware of anything like that either. Unless you enabled the audio compressor (it's called something different though) in the sound settings.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 77 of 105, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have not experienced it, either. Then again I am using the non official driver for my Audigy, which I believe included ASIO.

Reply 78 of 105, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Same here - haven't experienced that kind of feature/function with my Recon3D or X-Fi. I know they both have a "Smart Volume" function in their drivers that's similar to a DR compressor, but it's an optional feature on both cards.

Reply 79 of 105, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Windows 7 has a "loudness equalization" feature under its audio enhancements, which effectively amounts to dynamic range compression. I don't have it turned on though, and going from Manic Street Preachers' "The Holy Bible" to Merzbow's "Venereology", two albums I've been listening to a lot lately that are at opposite ends of the loudness war, I can definitely tell that one's way louder than the other.

I wonder if anyone's come up with a good DR compressor for Android. I want to bump some of my tunes in my friend's truck, but the volume output on my cheap phone is pitiful compared to his iPhone. Normally I'm just fine with dynamics, and hell I tend to prefer them when I'm listening alone, but there's a reason why radio stations compress the ever loving shit out of their broadcasts; it's for people listening in their cars.