VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Holering

User metadata

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/argon-ocelot … ming-mouse.html

I don't know what to think honestly. It has nine programmable buttons and I've never tried it. I use mouse left handed (o ; l k for FPS) and I've cleared Nightmare mode on Quake 3 (and unlagged servers), and Doom Alien Vendetta Ultra Violence. It certainly doesn't look like a serial mouse. Most mice I see look really advanced and all, but this thing literally looks like a real-life killing device; no joke!

Here's a quote (hope guru3d has no problem with this):

Ergonomic and ambidextrous, with nine programmable buttons and 8200 DPI, this mouse is a real machine to destroy opponents. The rubberized surface and the internal 128k memory in which to store up to five different profiles, make oceloteWorld Argon is a precision machine inside and out.

Does this look like a murder weapon?

Reply 1 of 12, by Yasashii

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

*speaks with a movie trailer voice*

9 programmable buttons that you will never use!

Internal memory to store profiles which will be utterly useless unless you won't be the only user of the mouse!

8200 DPI Laser Sensor which will work like crap unless it's on a perfect and expensive mouse pad!

Ok, on a more serious note, get a simple optical mouse with decent DPI (about 3000 will suffice, really), preferably with buttons to adjust the DPI so that you can lower it when you're sniping. Don't get into this laser nonsense. Those mice are really picky when it comes to surfaces on which they work well. An optical mouse will do fine on almost anything.

The most important thing of all is the shape of the mouse, and the way of holding it for which it was designed (if you are a fingertip holder, you will want a small to medium sized mouse and if you are a palm holder you will want a big and wide one, etc. If you don't know what I'm on about, read about it online)

Last edited by Yasashii on 2014-08-20, 21:31. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 12, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Internet? Multimedia? Gaming? With the new super programmable 9 button Master Mouse System you can even use it as a telephone!
More memory than your average 80s home computer! Hell, you could even rig an monitor to this sucker and use it to play some Bomb Jack 2!
8200 DPI Super Ultra Laser Sensor! It even cuts solid steel!

Pretty useless. I owned almost every one in CS GO using an crappy Genius 400DPI optical mouse.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 5 of 12, by Living

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stojke wrote:
Internet? Multimedia? Gaming? With the new super programmable 9 button Master Mouse System you can even use it as a telephone! M […]
Show full quote

Internet? Multimedia? Gaming? With the new super programmable 9 button Master Mouse System you can even use it as a telephone!
More memory than your average 80s home computer! Hell, you could even rig an monitor to this sucker and use it to play some Bomb Jack 2!
8200 DPI Super Ultra Laser Sensor! It even cuts solid steel!

Pretty useless. I owned almost every one in CS GO using an crappy Genius 400DPI optical mouse.

pic0069b.gif

Reply 6 of 12, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Reminds me of those "Razer Mice" - the color feature might be neat, but otherwise looks like an answer to a question nobody asked. At least it isn't this bad: http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-mice/razer-naga (and yes that's really 12 buttons on the side). They aren't very ergonomic IMO (I've actually seen this one in person).

Reply 7 of 12, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought a razer naga a couple of years ago - was a big improvement for World of Warcraft, would really recommend for that. and doesn't take much getting used to in my experience.

Not used it much with other games - it wasn't much use in Diablo iii, was ok in Path of Exile.

The naga has buttons on the side though, which makes thumbing them easy.

Reply 8 of 12, by 2fort5r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Holering wrote:

Does this look like a murder weapon?

If it's heavy enough, sure. You could whack someone over the head with it. A high-tech pool-ball-in-a-sock. But for fights in server-rooms rather than back alleys.

Account retired. Now posting as Errius.

Reply 9 of 12, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ratfink wrote:

I bought a razer naga a couple of years ago - was a big improvement for World of Warcraft, would really recommend for that. and doesn't take much getting used to in my experience.

Not used it much with other games - it wasn't much use in Diablo iii, was ok in Path of Exile.

What actual benefit does it have to having 12 buttons on the side? (I don't play World of Warcraft; this is a serious question)

Reply 10 of 12, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
obobskivich wrote:
ratfink wrote:

What actual benefit does it have to having 12 buttons on the side? (I don't play World of Warcraft; this is a serious question)

You easily end up with 10-20 "moves" your character can make or spells thy can cast, plus there might be different potions or other consumables which effectively are additional moves/spells.

Normally you have action bars in the screen [or either 10 or 12 moves each, six bars in all], and you can assign keys to the individual items; I suppose the action bars are just a way if visually confirming which buttons are assigned to which key [as well as a reminder of what spells you have].

Moving fingers across a keyboard to the right key seems more difiicult [to me] than rubbing your thumb over 12 buttons over the side of a mouse. Must confess that the first six buttons on the side are a lot more useful than the other six, which are easier to miss-click. The naga made my gameplay better - though people will argue it's all just keyboard mashing anyway, it's just easier and less stressful with the naga.

The naga is especially thelpful when you have "spell rotations" or sequences that are common, or where you have say half a dozen spells you use repeatedly with different cooldowns on each - they are all handy for whenever they are off cooldown. You can't run all your spells on the naga [or at least I can't] but it seems good for the common ones. For less used ones you just use the usual keyboard bindings.

Probably not everyone's cup of tea, but I found it easier than trying to memorise keyboard keys!

The naga buttons are by default just the same as keyboard 1, 2.. to 0, -, = [UK keyboard]. Can't recall if you can reprogram them - which you might want to do if for some reason you wanted keyboard 1-9 to be things you didn't want on your naga buttons.

As to why this matters to gameplay: any reductions in delays in pressing buttons increases your dps, which means enemies go down faster or get crowd-controlled more effectively [immobilised in whatever way your character can do]. Or raises your healing, so your pals live longer. But it also just makes playing easier all round.

Reply 12 of 12, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ratfink wrote:
You easily end up with 10-20 "moves" your character can make or spells thy can cast, plus there might be different potions or ot […]
Show full quote

You easily end up with 10-20 "moves" your character can make or spells thy can cast, plus there might be different potions or other consumables which effectively are additional moves/spells.

Normally you have action bars in the screen [or either 10 or 12 moves each, six bars in all], and you can assign keys to the individual items; I suppose the action bars are just a way if visually confirming which buttons are assigned to which key [as well as a reminder of what spells you have].

Moving fingers across a keyboard to the right key seems more difiicult [to me] than rubbing your thumb over 12 buttons over the side of a mouse. Must confess that the first six buttons on the side are a lot more useful than the other six, which are easier to miss-click. The naga made my gameplay better - though people will argue it's all just keyboard mashing anyway, it's just easier and less stressful with the naga.

The naga is especially thelpful when you have "spell rotations" or sequences that are common, or where you have say half a dozen spells you use repeatedly with different cooldowns on each - they are all handy for whenever they are off cooldown. You can't run all your spells on the naga [or at least I can't] but it seems good for the common ones. For less used ones you just use the usual keyboard bindings.

Probably not everyone's cup of tea, but I found it easier than trying to memorise keyboard keys!

The naga buttons are by default just the same as keyboard 1, 2.. to 0, -, = [UK keyboard]. Can't recall if you can reprogram them - which you might want to do if for some reason you wanted keyboard 1-9 to be things you didn't want on your naga buttons.

As to why this matters to gameplay: any reductions in delays in pressing buttons increases your dps, which means enemies go down faster or get crowd-controlled more effectively [immobilised in whatever way your character can do]. Or raises your healing, so your pals live longer. But it also just makes playing easier all round.

Wow - lots of detail. Thanks for explaining. 😀 I was thinking it was more of a "Mach 20" kind of product in response to Logitech/Microsoft/etc adding 1-3 extra buttons to their mice (usually default to things like page up/down or browser back/forward but can be assigned in a given application to some other task (limited to keystrokes generally)).