What game are you playing now?

Topic actions

Reply 201 of 6021, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PeterLI wrote:

Cool stuff! C&C is not that easy at times. I played a level yesterday and had to call it a night. I will try again this evening maybe.

I finished C&C last night and it was enjoyable to the last. The final campaign was tuff but fortunately the NOD AI bugged out towards the end and totally stopped harvesting tiberium - I chose to believe that they were having an industrial dispute and rolled in to kick some ass. In saying that though it still took me a good couple of hours to finish them off 😵

Next up for me is either Syndicate, Red Alert, or another play-through of C&C as NOD - I don't think I quite got my fix and NOD have much cooler weapons.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 204 of 6021, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Mirror's Edge.

The combat sucks (good reminds me of thief since it's supposed to suck) but having a hell of a time disarming people whe I have to.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 205 of 6021, by darksheer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just started Hexen - Deathkings of the Dark Citadel yesterday 😀 Damn, playing a mage in the warlock difficulty is more challenging than in the original 😵

Reply 206 of 6021, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Metro Last Light on the PC. On a GTX660 with all the extras turned on. I have never seen a game as pretty as this one.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 208 of 6021, by Synthoridity

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Zaero for Quake 2. I have already played through the original Quake 2 and both its official mission packs (The Reckoning and Ground Zero), so I decided to try out a more obscure addon.

Another unofficial addon for Quake 2 is "Juggernaut", but I heard from some reviews that that one was pretty bad...for now I'll just play Zaero. 😀

Reply 209 of 6021, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Now that my real-life issues are taken care of (for now anyway), it's time to play another old favorite: Corridor 7.

k2DtFSRl.png

I know this game isn't everyone's cup of tea but I quite like it, in particular the FM soundtrack (I know it has CD audio as well but it's not to my taste so I've never listened to it during gameplay).

And why the hint booklets you ask? To find the secret areas more easily, of course 😁 (I know, I know, it's kinda like cheating, but Capstone was offering them for sale at the time so I took the bait and got them 😅 ):

0I1hM2Wl.png

I also happen to have 2 different CD versions of this game.

toBIPl5l.png

The CD on the left is the one I bought back in 1995; the CD on the right I got from an old high school friend in 2003 (he called me and asked if I wanted some old DOS games he didn't want anymore). It has no CD audio and besides the game data files it has a separate folder with an installer for Sprynet Internet Services.

kCPYmg4.png 6cNIuHr.png

Both CDs have the same data files, and I can use either one to play 😀

Now it's time to eliminate some alien swine. Let's see how far I can get before they send me to "another dimension" 😉

EDIT: Here's a Dropbox link to a video I made while playing in Dosbox. It's about 11:20 in length (sorry Youtube fans, I don't have an account there nor do I want one):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ofjst071qznwdvs/cor … meplay.mp4?dl=0

Last edited by JayCeeBee64 on 2014-08-24, 05:21. Edited 2 times in total.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 210 of 6021, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Corridor 7 you say?

New to me so I checked the Wiki... "widely ignored for it's Wolfenstein 3D engine"... Wow! this must be *real* VOGONS material. One more for the wants list haha..

Reply 211 of 6021, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's pretty bad 🤣. Basically a knockoff blake stone with slightly better graphics and some neat features. That boxed copy is rad anyhow though. 🤣

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 212 of 6021, by Holering

User metadata

After spinning my head and making it into mush, I managed to lose my Doom 64 absolution saves (I think I was half way at map 16 and I deleted by accident); dammit. Anyway guess I'll just start over again. This time I swapped rage 128 for PCX5750 so I can up the resolution now (enjoy 1024x768 even on 19", because I get 100hz and stuff stays big 🤣). Doom 64 Absolution is the best version of Doom 64. It's the only one I know of that's not emulated, and is an actual native PC port with better stuff (nobody seems to get caught downloading it free either 🤣; even the developers were interviewed. That's just too cool). It has EAX and it's just the best version period (IMO). Sometimes I don't understand why people have to prefer a console version of a game so much, especially if it's worse (not that the N64 is bad but...). If it's better on the PC, IT'S BETTER ON THE PC. Reminds me of Final Fantasy VII; it's good on the PSX, but the PC is just way way better in every way and there's a pat-set for timidity++ that has vocals for XG midi (an edited xg.lgp). Oh yeah better play some games 😕 .

EDIT:
Forget what I said. The PCX Geforce FX card has kinda bad quality with Windows 95 games. Resident Evil 1 has missing textures on boxes (they look transparent) and Final Fantasy VII has misaligned texture with 8-bit paletted textures (text looks garbled). Only one driver works for the PCX FX cards in 98 and it is somewhat hacked (you have to modify ini for all other Geforce FX drivers for 9x if you use the PCX version and performance is not right). Rage128 PCI gives way better quality for these legacy games and it supports 32-bit color so yeah...

Oh yeah and contrary to what I said, Doom 64 EX may actually be the best port of Doom 64. It has been reverse engineered to some extent, so parts of the original code are ported (instead of a total conversion).

Last edited by Holering on 2014-08-28, 04:31. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 213 of 6021, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Cool JayCeeBee64, I'll have to check out Corridor 7 too.

I'm playing Risen 3, yet another open world fantasy RPG from Piranha Bytes. I love their games but they've been doing the same thing since forever, just polishing the engine and fiddling with the formula each time. It's great fun if you like open world exploration and cracking things on the head with a sword, but the plot is ridiculous, the dialogues embarrassing, and the hero's an ass-hat.

I wish they'd do another Gothic.

Reply 215 of 6021, by mwenek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Found myself using dfend to run dosbox for the first time. Played Wing Commander Armada with my new Flightstick Pro all day Sunday.

Win98SE Box: PIII 850, 128MB, 8 GB HDD, CL Live!, ATI 9600XT, 2x Diamond Voodoo 2 8MB
DOS Box: Intel 80 Mhz P24T Socket 3 OD, 16MB, 128MB CF Drive, Number 9 VLB, SiiG VLB IDE, SoundBlaster 16 ISA/WaveBlaster

Reply 217 of 6021, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jwt27 wrote:

I've been spending waaay too much time in Morrowind again. It's still the best game ever I've ever played, by far.

Do you play with mods or vanilla? I started messing with mod combinations a while ago and ended up driving myself nuts saying "I wonder what that one does". It ruined the experience. Next time I'm going vanilla.

Reply 218 of 6021, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:

Do you play with mods or vanilla? I started messing with mod combinations a while ago and ended up driving myself nuts saying "I wonder what that one does". It ruined the experience. Next time I'm going vanilla.

I have a few "mods" but try to stick as close to vanilla as possible. Most of these just fix bugs/annoyances without really changing the game mechanics or adding new content:

- Unofficial Morrowind Patch: fixes quest bugs and corrects spelling/grammar errors. Seems to add some unused greeting voices, too.

- Morrowind Code Patch: Fixes many bugs in the game EXE and adds many enhancements too. If you're going to install this make sure you read through every option, some of these significantly change the game mechanics. One example being the pickpocket mod, which make pickpocket chance depend on item weight instead of value. Makes sense and works great throughout the entire game... until you get to that one quest where you need to steal a heavy, low-value item.

- MGE XE: makes the game look pretty through advanced lighting effects and pixel shaders. And I mean REALLY pretty, without any "high-res" texture packs (like that "Morrowind Overhaul"... YUCK). It has a distant land option too which I have mixed feelings about; it makes the game world look much better, albeit a little cluttered, but I feel this breaks the exploration aspect since you can now actually see what's ahead of you and where you need to go. Drawing distance set to 2-4 cells (vanilla: 1 cell, MGE default: 10 cells) seems about right but I'm still experimenting with this.

- Solstheim Rumour Fix and Delayed Dark Brotherhood Attack: These are pretty much required if you've installed the expansions before finishing the main game, which makes sense since you need at least Bloodmoon in order to install the latest official patch. The first removes the Solstheim dialog topic from most characters, which IMO breaks immersion, especially with characters that have a unique dialogue (or no dialogue at all). The second prevents Daedric weapon wielding assassins from attacking you right from the start of the game.

- Passive Healthy Wildlife: This makes most "animal" creatures like nix-hounds and cliff racers passive toward you, only attacking if you come too close or if you attack them first. Diseased/blighted animals will still attack on sight, of course.

- Better Dialogue Font: Original font in a higher resolution. Easier on the eyes.

Then you have the official plugins, most of which I think are a little "meh"... The only ones I use are Bitter Coast Sounds, Master Propylon Index and Area Effect Arrows, the others don't really fit in with the rest of the game.

Reply 219 of 6021, by Tiremaster400

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Team Fortress 2 on the vs. ponyville server. Tons of fun and addictive.

I started playing this on my brother's AMD 6 core at my mother's house, but I got sick of going over there and finding him asleep and the computer "locked" half of the time so I looked for a computer at my house that was strong enough to handle Team Fortress 2. I have a first generation Intel dual core 2.5Ghz each core with a Geforce 6800 PCIE with Linux and 4Gb of Ram but I use that for my TV in the den for youtube. I have two old circa 2005 Dell Poweredge 2800 servers. Each one has 2 dual core Xeon processors and 4 Gigs of ram. They are complete boat anchors as they only have PCI-X, one PCI, one PCIE x8 and PCIE x4 slots. They use SCSI hard drives, and are loud when on.

I took a gamble and bought a Geforce 610 PCIE x1 card with 1 Gb of DDR3 memory and installed linux and a Sound Blaster Live! PCI card in one of them and it handles Team Fortress 2 fine, after turning off V-synch and lowering the detail settings. I installed the Geforce 610 into the PCIE x8 slot Been playing every night on the Ponyville server.

So I'm playing Team Fortress 2 online on a Dell Poweredge 2800 Dual Xeon 2 core @ 3.0 Ghz with 4Gb ram, Geforce 610 PCIE x1 1Gb texture memory, Sound Blaster Live! PCI, 486 speakers, pre Win95 keyboard, and a Sony CRT. Don't know what the frame rate is but it is very playable. I only use sniper class.