VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 40 of 105, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
laxdragon wrote:

Things we will never see eh? Probably a 4:3 aspect ratio OLED monitor that has perfect CRT emulation. Otherwise I'd love to see a Mini ITX (or smaller) Pentium III mobo (440BX) with integrated Sound Blaster 16 and Roland LAPC-1 chipsets. Extra points for mSATA support as IDE, and a BIOS level .ISO and floppy image loader via USB stick.

Mini-ITX will probably never happen, but there's Baby AT boards that support Pentium 3; don't have all the integrated features you want though. 😊

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

I don't mind huge 4:3 CRT, as long as it's totally flat. 😀

What I mean is, there are >30" TVs (which aren't generally high resolution) that roughly support what I want, but I'd rather have a 19" monitor or something with those kinds of features. 😊

Reply 41 of 105, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GeorgeMan wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

- An ISA USB 2.0 controller

What to do with that? ISA bus does not even have bandwidth for ONE usb 2.0 port. Actually not even half of it! And remember that it is a shared bus between all the connected devices... 😜

Also, it actually exists http://www.simtec.co.uk/products/EB1161ISA/card-senw-sml.jpg but the drivers are for another discussion 😜

That is true, it would be nice to have for using USB drives on a pre-PCI system, even if the transfer speed is limited.

Reply 42 of 105, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I guess what I would really like to see would be a 1/2 or 3/4 length RAM card that you could popuplate with standard 30 pin simms and put 8 or 16mb into a system, although accessing that much RAM with an 8 bit data bus paired with a 16 bit cpu would probably be slow as heck.

No really, this already exists. The one I have is called Orchid RamQuest 8/16. I have 32MB of EMS memory in an XT, and yes it's slow. There are several other cards that do basically the same thing but they *only* allow 8 or 16MB, not 32MB like the Orchid.

What I would like to see if an adapter that lets you use a Cyrix 6x86 or a MediaGX in a socket3 486 (or a Cyrix 5x86 running at higher speeds).

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 43 of 105, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

1) 27" 8K OLED monitor that matches the best CRTs in every way... or, failing that, a new line of affordable 19"-ish CRTs

2) Voodoo5 6000 reissue made by Nvidia, available in AGP and PCI-e flavors. Modern fab technologies would allow for a massive die shrink on the VSA-100 chips, which I imagine would lead to massive overclocking potential 😎

Like the previously mentioned reissues, this would be a low volume, high margin product.

3) A CD-ROM equivalent of those 1/8" stereo jack to casette adapters that were so popular in the 90s. Essentially a CD-RW with integrated battery and wireless controller that accepts data from a newer machine and burns itself on the fly. Perfect compatibility with even the oldest CD-ROM drives would be key!

4) USB gamepad with analog sticks, analog triggers, and drivers that work with Windows 95 through Windows 8. This may already exist, but I can't find it 😒

PCGames9505

Reply 44 of 105, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think i may have mentioned this in an older topic...A minidisc data system that works like a floppy drive but with larger capacity of course...I know sony had the md data discs but I would want something that would work in dos win9x os2 etc in a 3.5" drive...would be cool to be compatible with older minidisc media as well as new...minidiscs are so much better than cds and dvds IMHO because they have the protective casing and are much smaller...I would pay a premium for something like that.

It would be so much cooler buying a new game that came on a minidisc instead of the ubiquitous dvd.

Reply 45 of 105, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah I agree, minidisc systems would be awesome. I would love to have albums on minidisc too, I always scratch up my albums that are in my car because I'm usually in traffic when I swap out CD's 🤣. Besides having a large floppy disk drive looking thing in my car would be awesome. 🤣

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 46 of 105, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
maximus wrote:

1) 27" 8K OLED monitor

And what do you intend to drive this with? 🤣

4) USB gamepad with analog sticks, analog triggers, and drivers that work with Windows 95 through Windows 8. This may already exist, but I can't find it 😒

Doesn't Logitech make such a device? And I know there's the "retro reproductions" on ThinkGeek as well:
https://www.thinkgeek.com/product/1b4c/

retrofanatic wrote:

I think i may have mentioned this in an older topic...A minidisc data system that works like a floppy drive but with larger capacity of course...I know sony had the md data discs but I would want something that would work in dos win9x os2 etc in a 3.5" drive...would be cool to be compatible with older minidisc media as well as new...minidiscs are so much better than cds and dvds IMHO because they have the protective casing and are much smaller...I would pay a premium for something like that.

It would be so much cooler buying a new game that came on a minidisc instead of the ubiquitous dvd.

Floptical? MOdisc? UMD? Jaz? CRVDisc? Cartridged DVD-RAM or mini-RAM? (or for that matter, cart'd CD or DVD in general)

Last edited by obobskivich on 2014-09-30, 02:37. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 47 of 105, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Coward wrote:

I guess what I would really like to see would be a 1/2 or 3/4 length RAM card that you could popuplate with standard 30 pin simms and put 8 or 16mb into a system, although accessing that much RAM with an 8 bit data bus paired with a 16 bit cpu would probably be slow as heck.

No really, this already exists. The one I have is called Orchid RamQuest 8/16. I have 32MB of EMS memory in an XT, and yes it's slow. There are several other cards that do basically the same thing but they *only* allow 8 or 16MB, not 32MB like the Orchid.

What I would like to see if an adapter that lets you use a Cyrix 6x86 or a MediaGX in a socket3 486 (or a Cyrix 5x86 running at higher speeds).

Yeah, I read your machine description. Is this thing 3/4 length, though, or full length? Even if it fits my length requirements, it probably is impossible to find.

Reply 48 of 105, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
obobskivich wrote:

And what do you intend to drive this with? 🤣

Ha, good reaction 😀

I did a write up on this a while ago - see here. TL;DR: newer machines could output 1080p, and it would look perfect because each image pixel would be a 4x4 block of screen pixels. Older machines could output 1024x768 or 1280x960 or whatever, and it would also look great because the screen resolution is so excessive that pixel interpolation would be minimal and hardly noticeable. Sort of like displaying 320x200 on a 1080p monitor.

obobskivich wrote:

Doesn't Logitech make such a device? And I know there's the "retro reproductions" on ThinkGeek as well:

If Logitech makes this, I would love to know the exact model number or product name. I had a DualAction years ago that failed early and was unimpressive overall. I love my USB-modded Xbox Controller S, but the XBCD drivers are a little rough, especially on Win9x. I'm sure there are plenty of modern pads that fit the bill hardware-wise, but driver support is likely to be unsatisfactory.

PCGames9505

Reply 49 of 105, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Anonymous Coward wrote:

I second that.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 50 of 105, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
maximus wrote:

Ha, good reaction 😀

I did a write up on this a while ago - see here. TL;DR: newer machines could output 1080p, and it would look perfect because each image pixel would be a 4x4 block of screen pixels. Older machines could output 1024x768 or 1280x960 or whatever, and it would also look great because the screen resolution is so excessive that pixel interpolation would be minimal and hardly noticeable. Sort of like displaying 320x200 on a 1080p monitor.

No CRT that I'm aware of has a pixel density approaching that target, so I don't see why you'd need such an absurd resolution (and yes in 10 years you can come back and laugh at this post calling 8K absurd, just like we laugh at old posts calling 1024x768 "high resolution" and such), but I get your reasoning overall. I'm sure someday we'll see it happen - they're already doing 4K on ~24" monitors (well, they've had that for years and years but it doesn't cost $15,000 anymore 😲), and 8K isn't entirely a fantasy (NHK has been talking about it for a while as the "future of HD" and there are viz setups that can do it pretty readily with projectors). Still not sure I'd want to try jumping 1024x768 or 320x200 up to 30MP though. 😲

If Logitech makes this, I would love to know the exact model number or product name. I had a DualAction years ago that failed early and was unimpressive overall. I love my USB-modded Xbox Controller S, but the XBCD drivers are a little rough, especially on Win9x. I'm sure there are plenty of modern pads that fit the bill hardware-wise, but driver support is likely to be unsatisfactory.

I recall them making a series of controllers that looked something like the PlayStation controllers, and advertised at least some of them as having analog sticks. I don't honestly know much more than that - I've never really gotten into gamepads.

Reply 51 of 105, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
obobskivich wrote:

Floptical? MOdisc? UMD? Jaz? CRVDisc? Cartridged DVD-RAM or mini-RAM? (or for that matter, cart'd CD or DVD in general)

Ya I know about all these formats, and I think I've seen a minidisc computer disk drive but it was very expensive and very rare. Just like a lot of the "dream" hardware discussed here, there are prototypes, limited production runs, etc. but part of the "dream" is to have our 'dream hardware' (i.e. my dream of a minidisc format) more widely accepted and used by game publishers, for example, so that they become cheaper and more easily available to us...and like I said compatible with DOS, win9x, os2, etc. Obviously it will not happen with minidiscs but again, I am just dreaming....The minidisc IMHO is just a much better format than DVDs and CDs and than most of the formats you listed...the whole point is that they are small/compact/durable and would fit a drive made for a 3.5" bay and would be cheaper to make than jaz/zip/MO discs/etc...for the most part.

For me, it would just be cool to have a whole library of software in such a compact and durable media format if (again) it was ubiquitous enough to be affordable.

obobskivich wrote:

I love that they have reproduced these controllers. It seems retro console gaming is gaining popularity more and more every year and I think the last 10 years or so of all this retro reproduction stuff is just the tip of the iceberg.

Reply 52 of 105, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Radioshack branded USB to PSX adapters support 98-win8 and work in linux too.
They came with a floppy for 9x, I have 2 of them. Bought them back in the day, you can still find them floating around.

Reply 54 of 105, by AidanExamineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

- An N64 with that stupid filtering disabled, and support for VGA/component/HDMI/DVI output. It would also have an insane cooling setup, and be overclocked to the point that it could comfortably do 4 players and 8 bots on Perfect Dark, at 30fps, with high-res enabled.

Alright, I'm changing mine to this.

Reply 55 of 105, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
obobskivich wrote:
maximus wrote:

Ha, good reaction 😀

No CRT that I'm aware of has a pixel density approaching that target, so I don't see why you'd need such an absurd resolution (and yes in 10 years you can come back and laugh at this post calling 8K absurd, just like we laugh at old posts calling 1024x768 "high resolution" and such), but I get your reasoning overall. I'm sure someday we'll see it happen - they're already doing 4K on ~24" monitors (well, they've had that for years and years but it doesn't cost $15,000 anymore 😲), and 8K isn't entirely a fantasy (NHK has been talking about it for a while as the "future of HD" and there are viz setups that can do it pretty readily with projectors). Still not sure I'd want to try jumping 1024x768 or 320x200 up to 30MP though. 😲

Well there is this...
Dell Previews 27-inch ‘5K’ UltraSharp Monitor: 5120x2880
...I got really excited about it at first, till I realized the lack of available graphics hardware needed to drive things at that resolution, since it requires two DP 1.2 connections each outputting 2560x2880.

Once you go beyond that resolution, it does start to get silly for desktop sized displays. The main reason for wanting such would be to support things like multi-angle 3d.

Eyecandy: Turn your computer into an expensive lava lamp.

Reply 56 of 105, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

- An N64 with that stupid filtering disabled, and support for VGA/component/HDMI/DVI output. It would also have an insane cooling setup, and be overclocked to the point that it could comfortably do 4 players and 8 bots on Perfect Dark, at 30fps, with high-res enabled.

I'd guess an emulator could support this fairly easily. Really wish we'd see more competent N64 emulators by now.

Eyecandy: Turn your computer into an expensive lava lamp.

Reply 57 of 105, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just to add, I'd also like a 3,5 inch optical drive. Granted, it would be almost completely useless but what the heck 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 58 of 105, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kolano wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I'd guess an emulator could support this fairly easily. Really wish we'd see more competent N64 emulators by now.

The Mupen64Plus core for RetroArch?

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 59 of 105, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
retrofanatic wrote:

Ya I know about all these formats, and I think I've seen a minidisc computer disk drive but it was very expensive and very rare. Just like a lot of the "dream" hardware discussed here, there are prototypes, limited production runs, etc. but part of the "dream" is to have our 'dream hardware' (i.e. my dream of a minidisc format) more widely accepted and used by game publishers, for example, so that they become cheaper and more easily available to us...and like I said compatible with DOS, win9x, os2, etc. Obviously it will not happen with minidiscs but again, I am just dreaming....The minidisc IMHO is just a much better format than DVDs and CDs and than most of the formats you listed...the whole point is that they are small/compact/durable and would fit a drive made for a 3.5" bay and would be cheaper to make than jaz/zip/MO discs/etc...for the most part.

For me, it would just be cool to have a whole library of software in such a compact and durable media format if (again) it was ubiquitous enough to be affordable.

Mainstream acceptance would be absolutely cool, but I think I'd have to go with CRVDisc or LV-ROM myself - if it's cool enough for James Bond, it's cool enough for me. 😁

kolano wrote:
Well there is this... Dell Previews 27-inch ‘5K’ UltraSharp Monitor: 5120x2880 ...I got really excited about it at first, till I […]
Show full quote

Well there is this...
Dell Previews 27-inch ‘5K’ UltraSharp Monitor: 5120x2880
...I got really excited about it at first, till I realized the lack of available graphics hardware needed to drive things at that resolution, since it requires two DP 1.2 connections each outputting 2560x2880.

Once you go beyond that resolution, it does start to get silly for desktop sized displays. The main reason for wanting such would be to support things like multi-angle 3d.

They make a 4K that's been available for purchase for a few months now, available in 24" and 27". I think those only require a single DP link back to the host system too. 😊

EDIT:

That was a pain to find; Dell needs to put "Monitors" in an easier to locate spot!
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdet … en&sku=860-BBCD

It isn't quite at the 300 ppi target, but it's pretty similar to the T220, but much more polished for home use, and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. 😀