VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey there Vogons community, SpooferJahk here and I wanted to create this forum thread for a project I am working on that might interest my fellow DOS game fans. I am a huge fan of the original Alone in the Dark trilogy for DOS, and one thing that I always wanted to do was to play the games in my native language of English but with the French voice acting. Admittedly the English audio was dreadful and I was quite surprised at how much better the French voice acting was when I watched a playthrough of the trilogy on YouTube from user POLE7645. Now I understand the games had different dubs for the respective languages that they were translated in, but I consider the French voices to be the standard ones since the games DID originate from France after all, and again the French voice dub is great since I understand the voice actors come from the theatre scene.

This is where my project comes in, I have seen undub projects for many different Japanese games for the consoles but I haven't found any PC related ones at all, so I felt like taking a dive and work on this thing. Most of the voice acting is located in the Redbook Audio on the disc and it is just a matter of making a custom CD image with the voice tracks intact, and other voice acting that does not stream from the game itself is stored in a .PAK file in the main game files. So it is just as simple as replacing a file and running the game with an altered CD image in DOSBox or a burned CD if you are running it on an actual DOS machine.

I am not sure how I can share this project, seeing that it does require sharing a small bite sized chunk of the main game files and making a custom CD image for the game using alternate tracks in the Redbook Audio. Whether it is okay or not to share I can't say, but I wanted to start this thread to spark some interest and share my progress on this. If there is a method I can share this without causing issues, let me know.

Reply 1 of 10, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SpooferJahk wrote:

I always wanted to do was to play the games in my native language of English but with the French voice acting.

So you want them to speak english with a french accent ?

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 2 of 10, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I believe SpooferJahk wants to inject English language parts in the French version...
I am a great fan of AITD but for me the CD versions weren't to my taste, nothing beats the AdLib tunes of AITD1 and AITD2... the voice acting just made it worse ... I only have the ENG versions though, any chance of a link to these yt vids?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 10, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Davros wrote:
SpooferJahk wrote:

I always wanted to do was to play the games in my native language of English but with the French voice acting.

So you want them to speak english with a french accent ?

keropi wrote:

I believe SpooferJahk wants to inject English language parts in the French version...
I am a great fan of AITD but for me the CD versions weren't to my taste, nothing beats the AdLib tunes of AITD1 and AITD2... the voice acting just made it worse ... I only have the ENG versions though, any chance of a link to these yt vids?

An undub project is essentially a modification to a version of a game, namely the English version in this case, to restore the original voice acting into the game with the English text without having to do a full blown retranslation. Most of the time this is done to a lot of console games of Japanese origin because the English dub is incredibly poor in comparison to the Japanese one. There are undubs of games like Final Fantasy X, The Shin Megami Tensei Persona games, Mega Man X4, and many other assorted titles like those. In this case I want to inject the French voices of the DOS Alone in the Dark Trilogy into the English versions for the same reason the games mentioned above, the voice acting in the version from the country it originated from sounds like it had a lot more effort put into it compared to the English dub that I am used to.

Here are some examples of the French voice acting that I am mentioning:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKpAyc_GvPg&t=5m45s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOzI7EqOSUw&t=1m52s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AXAx-23g9U&t=2m50s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEZiLWpvl_I&t=53s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH4-UE-on00&t=17s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC-x4_f3JGs&t=1m56s

Now while the French voice acting is not perfect admittedly, it has a lot more conviction to it compared to the English voice acting.

Reply 4 of 10, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

isn't the voice acting CDDA tracks? I had a look on my AITD1 cd, the 3 last CDDA tracks are :
track 17 - female intro voice acting
track 18 - male intro voice acting
track 19 - the 1st letter on the attic ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKpAyc_GvPg&t=5m45s )

I couldn't find a CDDA track for J. Hartwoods journal ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOzI7EqOSUw&t=1m52s ) and there is not anything extra in the game dir, it's still 5MB. Maybe there are more version floating around or something , mine are the original CD releases, not the trilogy set:

th_CIMG1772_resize.jpg th_CIMG1790_resize.jpg

and these are my floppy versions that I prefer because of the AdLib music 😊 😊 😊

th_CIMG1771_resize.jpg

having said all that, wouldn't be very easy to swap the CDDA tracks in the ENG version with those from the French? I don't see why it won't work... 😕

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 10, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

Right on brother, floppy versions all the way for me too!!

Reply 6 of 10, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
carlostex wrote:
keropi wrote:

Right on brother, floppy versions all the way for me too!!

I dig them too, but something about the CD version's music hooks me a bit more, I can't explain why though.

keropi wrote:
isn't the voice acting CDDA tracks? I had a look on my AITD1 cd, the 3 last CDDA tracks are : track 17 - female intro voice acti […]
Show full quote

isn't the voice acting CDDA tracks? I had a look on my AITD1 cd, the 3 last CDDA tracks are :
track 17 - female intro voice acting
track 18 - male intro voice acting
track 19 - the 1st letter on the attic ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKpAyc_GvPg&t=5m45s )

I couldn't find a CDDA track for J. Hartwoods journal ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOzI7EqOSUw&t=1m52s ) and there is not anything extra in the game dir, it's still 5MB. Maybe there are more version floating around or something , mine are the original CD releases, not the trilogy set:

th_CIMG1772_resize.jpg th_CIMG1790_resize.jpg

and these are my floppy versions that I prefer because of the AdLib music 😊 😊 😊

th_CIMG1771_resize.jpg

having said all that, wouldn't be very easy to swap the CDDA tracks in the ENG version with those from the French? I don't see why it won't work... 😕

It will work, I just want to make a version to share that isn't sharing the whole game basically, not to mention some of the programs I use for making images are a bit picky when it comes to making an audio cd image so I have to do some extra work to get it to function right. Plus, the versions of the games I got in French I nabbed from an undisclosed source (You can guess what territory we are going here with that statement) are not so great rips and I have to do the extra deed of fixing the audio tracks and fix the issue of the next track playing on the track that is currently playing.

Reply 7 of 10, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Rather than modifying a disc image, since you would be playing in DOSBox anyway, why not just use discrete audio files and mount them in DOSBox via a CUE file? Seems like it would be far easier to do during development, too.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 8 of 10, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
collector wrote:

Rather than modifying a disc image, since you would be playing in DOSBox anyway, why not just use discrete audio files and mount them in DOSBox via a CUE file? Seems like it would be far easier to do during development, too.

That's what I am going to do now that you mention it.

Reply 9 of 10, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

UPDATE 1

I am working on the first game at this moment and unlike the later two games, the voices are stored as .VOC files on the CD itself and the only way to get it working is through making a modified ISO that not only includes the necessary files for the game to load with the CD, but to load the French .VOC voice files in the proper order. I know that the image I have of the French version works just fine with the English executables and loads the voices right but to get it to load the French files WITHOUT having to use an image of the full game, is going to be a fun challenge.

Reply 10 of 10, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The cue can specify an ISO of the data files required for loading and still specify separate audio files for the audio tracks.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers