Common searches

Least lagfest Flash player

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 31, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used to use YouTubeCenter, but I've found that YouTube seems to have been rolling out a lot of changes recently that were causing frequent problems with YouTubeCenter, some of which took quite a while before they were addressed by the YouTubeCenter devs. I guess give it a go, but be aware that it may cause problems and should probably be one of the first things to disable if you run into any.

Eyecandy: Turn your computer into an expensive lava lamp.

Reply 23 of 31, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The problem with finding a version that produces less lag is that Flash player is made obsolete pretty quickly. It isn't long after a new version is released that all Flash content is made to support the new version. Running an older version because it is less resource heavy may leave you unable to view Flash content at all because it won't support all the latest features. You'll be left staring at a black screen with the words "download the latest Flash player" on it. I have machines with Flash player 10 that even have difficulty. Forget trying to access most content with anything older than that. I remember when I first started on the internet Flash player 3 or 4 was the latest version. I wouldn't think anything works with that anymore unless you can still find a website made with 90's technology that was never updated.

Reply 25 of 31, by j7n

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I see I've misunderstood you.

A video player instead of browser is also invaluable for me, when I desire precise control over the video. One generally cannot precisely seek with the Flash based player and its "fat" seekbar nor framestep. If there is something on the video demanding close attention, browser users are often at the mercy of the author to slow down the playback and exactly point out the area of interest.

Even when SMPlayer has to restart download and resync to the stream after seeking, for me it does so more quickly than the Flash player, and I can advance frames in slow motion by pressing or holding down "." or clicking the pause button.

I could swear that DASH playback worked in the program since YouTube switched to separate video and audio, but apparently it does not. I don't find "1080p" to be a quality improvement over "720p", except maybe on mostly still game footage. The bitrate increase (5 mbit over 3 mbit) is smaller than the increase of picture area. It's just blurred blocks.

Reply 26 of 31, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As a side note, something I feel I should point out is I just noticed the CPU usage of YouTube's Flash and HTML5 video players on my 4 GHz computer:

YouTube Flash Player CPU Usage: 5%~8%

YouTube HTML5 Player CPU Usage: 24%~31%

...yeah...

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 28 of 31, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
maximus wrote:

I was recently surprised to learn that YouTube seems to have gone almost 100% HTML5. There was previously an option to opt-in to the HTML5 trial group, but this has now disappeared. Lately, every video I check is using HTML5. I've noticed a very slight decrease in CPU usage over Flash, at least on one of my machines. HTML5 used to be just as bad as Flash if not worse, but it has improved substantially since then.

I expect that the best YouTube performance will be obtained through Chrome, but I could be wrong about that.

what web browser?

EDIT: WHAT THE HELL!? HTML 5 was supposed to be MORE effcient and faster. Not slower.

Reply 29 of 31, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

HTML 5 seems to be working fine here.

0% CPU load playing Youtube 1080p

http://u.cubeupload.com/jonaz81a/769527.jpg

edit. Or that could have been the Flash player, I just noticed it still gets used sometimes.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 30 of 31, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Skyscraper wrote:
HTML 5 seems to be working fine here. […]
Show full quote

HTML 5 seems to be working fine here.

0% CPU load playing Youtube 1080p

http://u.cubeupload.com/jonaz81a/769527.jpg

edit. Or that could have been the Flash player, I just noticed it still gets used sometimes.

When in doubt, right click anywhere on it and if it's the Flash player, there will be an option to see "About" details for Flash. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 31 of 31, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know though if the obvious reduce in video quality at the same settings has something to do with the transition from flash to html5...

Core i7-13700 | 32G DDR4 | Biostar B760M | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 32" AOC 75Hz IPS + 17" DEC CRT 1024x768 @ 85Hz
Win11 + Virtualization => Emudeck @consoles | pcem @DOS~Win95 | Virtualbox @Win98SE & softGPU | VMware @2K&XP | ΕΧΟDΟS