Topic actions

Reply 640 of 1944, by AidanExamineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Darkman wrote:
Got the Matrox Mystique version of Mechwarrior 2 for 1.50. […]
Show full quote

Got the Matrox Mystique version of Mechwarrior 2 for 1.50.

IMG_20140929_162248217_zps5aa3860e.jpg

Beautiful! I quite like the Matrox version, but I almost never play it because I have to drag out a CRT. All of my LCD monitors shut off when presented with 640x400.

Reply 641 of 1944, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the Matrox version is quite interesting, So far Ive personally tried the game on 3 cards , the Matrox, the Voodoo and the ATI Rage IIc (I know there the comparison video on YT , but its never the same as seeing it in person)

In some ways I like the Matrox version the best, the 3DFX version runs really smoothly, but is a bit too blurry on some levels . the ATI version is the worst of the 3 , slower and blurry (and this is with a 350Mhz PII , so its not a bottleneck by any means).

from what ive seen the PowerVR version might be overall best , but Ive yet to even find a card on Ebay (its crazy how rare they are at least around here)

Reply 642 of 1944, by AidanExamineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Vetz' video is da bomb diggity.

I have a PowerVR PCX2 card, and you can get the files to modify a standard install of Mech2 to PowerVR version. I haven't gotten around to it yet. The cards are crazy rare though, and their compatibility is very narrow.

Reply 644 of 1944, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

NOS California Games II for PC. I'm a big fan of the first game, on Sega Master System of course. I'll be interested to see how #2 stacks up, but I mainly bought it for the most excellent cover art:

DSCN0890_zps4f7db5a9.jpg

DSCN0897_zps676b6774.jpg

DSCN0903_zps1410ddf1.jpg

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 645 of 1944, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

this brings back memories, California Games II was one of the first games I ever remember playing some 22 years ago and it was on my dad's DOS machine (I think it was 486, also ran Wolf3D and Doom decently a little later) , always remember failing at that hand glider game

Reply 647 of 1944, by dacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh awesome, never played the second game although I was a big fan of the first one. Calgames (my friend and I always used to call it cowgames) heheh child humour!

Edit: Since I'm the one that last posted, I brought some stuff that's been sitting at work for a while home(was hiding things from the wife heheh), didn't realise I had Calgames disk!!

QD1dHYwm.jpg?1

Last edited by dacow on 2014-10-21, 09:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 648 of 1944, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmojo wrote:

NOS California Games II for PC.

Aggro, man!

I bought something very near and dear to me:

p7zEemEl.jpg

These were the very first computer games I ever remember playing, on the Tandy CoCo 2. Played with my grandad, in a house that no longer exists.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 649 of 1944, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

got these 2 games recently

IMG_20141024_132659561_zps4fda73d8.jpg

actually had Indy & the last crusade, but it was a budget rerelease that lacked the extra materials. This one has some wear to it (you can see some of it near the bottom of the box) but its overall is good shape, not bad for £4, has everything included.

Rune I got for 1.50, another example of a game released in 2000 but the European release being in a DVD style case, seems like European publishers went this way much earlier than their American counterparts.

Reply 650 of 1944, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

damn.... it's been ages since I went shopping for DOS... it's a sure way to spend lots of $$$ in a short time - and something I really enjoy ... the problem is the lack of $$$ though 🤣 🤣 🤣
great purchases everyone!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 651 of 1944, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
20141030_165428_resized.jpg
Filename
20141030_165428_resized.jpg
File size
167.18 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I found this a couple days ago at a thrift store for a buck.

Kinda fun, but not too great when you consider you can't explore the ship. I find that this game a little too set on away missions and ship battles leave a lot to be desired...but for 1995, it is a good game.

I do have a boxed version packed away for now, but I thought can't go wrong for $1 for an extra jewel case copy.

Reply 652 of 1944, by AidanExamineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A buck? Dammit! I spent TWO on mine!

I think I might have purchased this on accident. Morbid curiosity mixed with collector's greed mixed with a love for pretty boxes. A potent cocktail that overwhelmed my common sense.
2CKGjIXl.jpg

Reply 653 of 1944, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

U9 is a good game, is your copy complete with all the tarot cards?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 655 of 1944, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No pics since my camera seems to not function properly anymore.

Bought a couple games at a thrift store including another copy of Get Medieval 😁

I also already bought a boxed Yamaha PCI sound card (it said on the box it was complete and working), but I didn't trust it (already bought 2 dead PSU's from the same store..untested of course 🙁 ) so I opened it right after I got the receipt and inside it was a 10mbit ISA nic from 3com. They first asked me if I wanted to take something else but after I told them it was the only one, I at least got my money back.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 656 of 1944, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

Bought a couple games at a thrift store including another copy of Get Medieval 😁

I also already bought a boxed Yamaha PCI sound card (it said on the box it was complete and working), but I didn't trust it (already bought 2 dead PSU's from the same store..untested of course 🙁 ) so I opened it right after I got the receipt and inside it was a 10mbit ISA nic from 3com. They first asked me if I wanted to take something else but after I told them it was the only one, I at least got my money back.

Heh, that PSU story is nothing. I once bought a 305W PSU from PC World (a fairly major chain at the time in the UK, now just merged with Currys), only to get home and find it was a 250W unit that didn't match the box. Took it back to the store... turned out that a guy had pulled it out of a bin and put it in a box and on the store shelves!

Reply 657 of 1944, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Lukeno94 wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

Heh, that PSU story is nothing. I once bought a 305W PSU from PC World (a fairly major chain at the time in the UK, now just merged with Currys), only to get home and find it was a 250W unit that didn't match the box. Took it back to the store... turned out that a guy had pulled it out of a bin and put it in a box and on the store shelves!

You mean this place?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxRYtv16_ps

Reply 658 of 1944, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got a few games off eBay. I already have a boxed version of return to Zork, but it's nice to have a backup. I was particularly happy to get a copy of Quest for Glory Dragon Fire since I have never played it. Same thing goes for Lands of Lore. Wish I could get the boxed versions for the price I got these for (about $1 each).

$_57.JPG
Filename
$_57.JPG
File size
266.77 KiB
Views
File license
$_57 (3).JPG
Filename
$_57 (3).JPG
File size
204.85 KiB
Views
File license
$_57 (2).JPG
Filename
$_57 (2).JPG
File size
195.6 KiB
Views
File license
$_57 (1).JPG
Filename
$_57 (1).JPG
File size
215.17 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 659 of 1944, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

here are most of the games I got recently.

IMG_20141209_134638722_zps7c2cfdb2.jpg

The Last Express was actually still sealed and I got it for £2 , not a bad deal , though I obviously have since opened it since I want to actually play the game.

the only main Wing Commander game Im missing is Wing Commander 4, Im debating whether to get the boxed version or get the GOG version which is on sale and I hear has the better video quality, did they break the game on older machines when fixing it for modern ones?