VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by AlphaDangerDen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey guys! Soon I'm going to be purchasing a Corsair Obsidian 450D mid-tower case for my main PC. I'm currently using a Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced and it's way too big for my needs, and the features for a full-tower are somewhat lacking compared to the Rosewill Thor V2. I'm a college student who is transferring to a different university very close to my current home at the beginning of next year, and moving out of my parent's house into a dorm room on campus. I'm a PCB designer, coder, somewhat of a gamer, and sometimes I do graphic design, and doing this on my laptop (5 year old Lenovo Thinkpad T400; built like a tank and snappy with 64GB SSD) is almost impossible because it's using a Core 2 Duo and 2GB DDR3 (which is weird for a cheap business laptop but whatever) so it's extremely underpowered. I'm plan on going home on the weekends and holidays, where I have multiple monitors (which is expanding) and can do most of my work. I also host LAN parties with a group of my friends. The problem is transporting this desktop can be a bit of an issue due to size and weight. I'm wanting to know if any members here know of any backpacks that can accommodate a mid-tower, or if it's possible to use a reaaaaally big suitcase.

Reply 2 of 6, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

DFI used to distribute a case carrying strap/backpack with some of their LanParty boards, and as a separate product. This thing:
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?It … N82E16811987001

They're pretty useful to carrying a case around, but it isn't a fully padded case or anything.

Reply 3 of 6, by AlphaDangerDen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
obobskivich wrote:

DFI used to distribute a case carrying strap/backpack with some of their LanParty boards, and as a separate product. This thing:
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?It … N82E16811987001

They're pretty useful to carrying a case around, but it isn't a fully padded case or anything.

Very interesting, too bad DFI doesn't make it anymore, it would've been perfect for my situation.

Although after a bit of research, I did find this:
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/4294/han-39 … =7MMFnT49#blank

It looks okay. The front bezel and rear I/O sections of the case have no straps holding it in place, so if you tilt forward or backward far enough, the desktop could slide out, ouch 😵 Although, a make-shift strap such as maybe a really long belt could fix that issue. I'd probably add extra straps along with the existing straps for reinforcement anyway.

Reply 6 of 6, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PeterLI wrote:

Buy a W530/W540.

You know, I'd actually have to agree with this. Workstation-class laptops seem to fall in line with what you're going to be doing with your new PC. They can do occasional gaming from what I've seen, and their strengths are in CAD and graphic design. And you don't even have to lug a desktop around everywhere.

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt