VOGONS

First post, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Introduction

On this thread I asked which modern LED monitor would be best for old games, which means old games run on their native O/S like DOS and Windows 98 - the kind of games you build Intel 440BX mobo for. On the thread, dirkmirk suggested Dell U2412M for old games, which is pretty good.

Problem arises when one wants bigger screeen, since I haven't found any computer monitor that is larger than 30". For screen as big as 40", you have to use TV. However, TV is typically 1080p, and I haven't found any HDTV that supports 1920x1200 resolution like computer monitors do. Of course, now we have 3840x2160 (4K) TV, but there are two problems with such resolution. First, it seems 4k resolution is limited to 30Hz refresh rate - at least for now. Second, 2160 is not a round multiplication of 200, which could make 800x600 or 1600x1200 games look blurry. So it seems 4k is not a viable resolution for games - even for modern games.

Gamers who play on HDTV can fall back to 1080p to maintain adequate refresh rate, but then again, 1080p is lower resolution than 1920x1200 or 1600x1200. Moreover, while new games can support 1080p resolution, older games is rather limited in 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, and 1600x1200. Some games like WarCraft III have patch (like this one) to support modern resolution (like 1080p), but of course, that doesn't apply to every old games out there. Also, some old games have non-standard resolution. Dawn Patrol has 640x400 resolution, Mechwarrior 2 ATi 3D Rage Edition has 512x384, and Mechwarrior 2 Matrox Mystique Edition has 640x400. There are also DOS games with 320x240 resolution instead of 320x200. Frankly, I don't know how well do modern HDTVs would support such "non-standard" resolution.

The second problem is refresh rate. I think 3dfx games should have no problem regarding this matter, since you can SET SST_SCREENREFRESH=60 to set the game's refresh rate to 60Hz, which is the common refresh rate of modern HDTV. I figure the potential problem would arise from hi-res, unaccelerated 3D DOS games; games like F-22 Lightning II, Dawn Patrol, System Shock, and Top Gun: Fire At Will. For many people, such games would probably too slow to run in DOSBOX (I still have failed to achieve acceptable frame rate from F-22 Lightning II running in DOSBOX on Intel i5 processor). Those games are more likely to be ran on retro hardware -things like Pentium 200 or maybe Intel 440BX platform- so they don't benefit from DOSBOX's ability to output 60Hz refresh rate. I have no idea, for example, the refresh rate of F-22 Lightning II when running natively from DOS, let alone whether its refresh rate is supported by modern HDTVs.

Modern HDTVs/Monitors

I found what I thought to be the most promising display for old games: NEC P403 and NEC E464. First I thought they were true computer monitors; supporting 1920x1200 resolution like Dell U2412M, but turned out they are actually 1080p. Thus, they are more like TV instead of computer monitor. Moreover, they are not 4k, so gamers who are used to 1600x1200 resolution must fall back to 1024x768 resolution . However, that's also true for every non-4k HDTV out there.

The good news, the specification said that those NEC monitors have vertical resolution range of 50-85 Hz, so I guess they can display (almost?) any DOS game around. Also, the manual says they support 4:3 aspect ratio - either unchanged or squeezed, which means 640x400 games like Dawn Patrol or Mechwarrior 2 Matrox Mystique Edition can be displayed on 4:3 resolution. Both also support VGA60, SVGA60, XGA60, WXGA60, SXGA60, UXGA60*1, and 1920X1080 (60Hz). 😀

NECP403_zps45c133a5.png
NECE464_zps08152c76.png
NEC P403 (above) and E464 (below).

I also checked more mainstream HDTVs like Samsung UHD HU6950 and LG 49UB8300. The first thing I notice is that neither TV has VGA input jack, so retro system owners need to use VGA to composite adapter - which degrades image quality. Worse, the specs of both monitors say nothing about supported refresh rate, so I assume the worst that they only accept "standard modern refresh rates" like 60Hz for 1080p and 30Hz for 4k. I also failed to find the downloadable manuals for both products. 😵

SamsungUHDHU6950_zps27f31766.png
LG49UB8300_zpsdf02c888.png
Samsung UHD HU6950 (above) and LG 49UB8300 (below)

I think it suffices to say that mainstream consumer products like Samsung and LG are unsuitable for old games.

Video Scalers

So if consumer HDTVs were rather limited in resolution and refresh rate, the next hope is video scaler - especially those who can convert VGA to HDMI. I found a product unassumingly named PC/HDTV 2 Way Converter from Video Products, Inc., and according to the manual, the scaler accepts quite a wide variety of resolutions. 😀

The following is the VGA resolutions accepted by the VPI PC/HDTV 2 Way Video Converter:
60,72,75,85 Hz for 640x480
85 Hz for 640x400
70 Hz for 720x400
60,72,75,85 Hz for 800x600
60,72,75,85 Hz for 1024x768
70, 75 Hz for 1152x864
60 Hz for 1280x768
60 Hz for 1280x960
60 ,75 Hz for 1280x1024

VPIPCHDTVconverter_zpsd37ec97c.png
VPI PC/HDTV 2 Way Video Converter.

The converter doesn't accept 320x200 resolution, but we have DOSBOX for such games. It doesn't accept 1600x1200 resolution either, but the output is only 1080p, so I guess it's no big loss, though I hope it can downsample larger resolution to 1080p like the NEC monitor does (probably the NEC TV does some AA while doing so - or so I hope).

Conclusion?

No, I don't think I have reached conclusion yet. For example, is the resolutions and refresh rates supported by the VPI PC/HDTV video converter enough for old games? For example, is there a 640x400 DOS game whose refresh rate is actually 75 Hz, thus unsupported by the scaler? Have anyone tried connecting their pure DOS machine to modern HDTV, with or without scaler? And how about more exotic resolutions like that of Matrox Mystique or ATi 3D Rage?

In a perfect world, there would be a 40" 1920x1200 PC monitor instead of 1080p TV - or better yet, a 50" 1600x1200 CRT monitor. However, such thing doesn't exist. 🙁 And as desktop and living room technology converges, I'm afraid 1080p and 4k becomes de facto standard instead of XGA or SVGA. So I think the former is something we have to cope with. Nonetheless, I hope other forum members could share their knowledge and/or experience in connecting pure DOS machine or otherwise exotic resolutions (like 3D Rage's 512x384).

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 1 of 32, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You write a lot, and a lot of the things I disagree with 😀

My findings stem from mucking around on a 55" 1080P display.

1. Old games will not look blurry when scaled to 4k. On the contrary, the scaler has more pixels to work with, the result will look amazing
2. That scaler does 320 x 200 games of course. This mode is found on the datasheet as 70 Hz for 720x400
3. Why use a VGA scaler when you can get VGA to HDMI scaler which do the same thing, scale VGA to 1080p and have aspect mode correction
4. Forgetting about 3dfx, PowerVR and other cards, you can just use a GeForce with DVI > DVI to HDMI plug > Into TV. It will be a 1080p signal, the TV just needs to have a 4:3 zoom mode and you're set

Since that last thread on monitors, did you actually get a monitor and have you used it or are you still going by what has been said? The reason I'm saying this is there is theory and there is practical results. I think you are over-thinking many things here and you will be surprised with a GeForce that has DVI output and play DOS and Windows games on a TV or Monitor.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 32, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

From past experience, scaling very low resolution ("SDTV" or lower) to high resolution (FHD+) is generally not very pretty. I remember PS1 and similar consoles on my XHD3000 being fairly pixelated looking, and I really can't imagine going up to 4K would somehow improve upon that. Running 480p into a Wega or similar highend SD/EDTV is also sharper (imho) than into a 1080p display, because again you aren't interpolating so much to "fill the screen." I also wouldn't want to convert anything that starts out 4:3/5:4/whatever into 16:9/16:10 - something will be stretched. Modern scalers are clever and put most of the stretch on the "sides" of the image, because they assume TV/film content which is generally centered so you don't notice it as badly, but it's still apparent. RCA used to have a great set of sample frames showing the various scaling "modes" that HDTVs and displays employ in terms of AR conversion, but I unfortunately didn't keep a copy, and I'm not sure if they're still easily available online. And also keep in mind the whole Vert-/Hor+ dichotomy - a lot of older games won't support WS, and many that do are Vert-, so it's actually worse to enable WS, as you will see less of the viewport even if you're running at a higher resolution (so now you're blowing more bandwidth and processing power for less image).

Regarding "GeForce to TV at 1080p" - it depends on the card. In order to get 1080p via SL-DVI you need a card/driver that supports reduced blanking (CVT-R), and it's also worth pointing out that many early DVI cards tend to have issues with very high resolution output (the TMDS transmitters tend not to deliver full SL bandwidth), so you may have problems with image stability or quality. This is all variable depending on the specific card, driver, display, etc but it's worth keeping in mind.

On the AA thing: I'm still trying to figure out how nVidia's "Dynamic Super Resolution" is in anyway distinct from SSAA beyond the marketing. On a TV, I've seen those Sharps that "internally process at 4K" and honestly it's nothing special. They're overly bright/saturated, like all Sharp displays, because of the extra sub-pixels, but that's about it. If you want/need AA, do AA on the graphics card. 😊

Reply 3 of 32, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This past Black Friday I purchased a Vizio 4K TV from Wal-mart. It was a great deal and is future proof. It can accept 4K @ 60Hz through one of the HDMI Inputs. Now I just have to find a PC that can output that resolution and refresh rate!

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 4 of 32, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Great Hierophant wrote:

This past Black Friday I purchased a Vizio 4K TV from Wal-mart. It was a great deal and is future proof. It can accept 4K @ 60Hz through one of the HDMI Inputs. Now I just have to find a PC that can output that resolution and refresh rate!

Only very new graphics cards can do that via HDMI; GeForce 600 and higher and Radeon GCN and higher iirc. It requires HDMI2.0 (HDMI1.4 can carry 4K but not at 60Hz). Of course that says nothing of whether or not they will be powerful enough to handle whatever game at 4K. 😊

Reply 5 of 32, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For testing purposes, I tried running my TV at 1920p30 Hz and you know what, after a while you don't really mind it. For watching TV (I use a USB TV tuner), TV Shows, Movies 30 Hz are fine. Even browsing the Internet (I use a Logitech K400) was ok. 24 Hz however and the mouse becomes really jerky.

For gaming of course you are better off switching to 1080p60.

Vizio is a brand I would love to be able to buy in Australia. I'm always looking at the cheaper end of the market with brands such as TCL, Hisense, Seiki and others. Got my 55" in 2012 and it's a glossy panel which is awesome so I'm not in a rush. Next TV will be 65" or 70" though.

Reply 6 of 32, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The best route is probably a plasma TV. I've found the response time issues of LCD tech to be magnified with old low resolution gaming. Plasma reminds me of a CRT because there is no ghosting. Image retention of plasma is an overblown concern too IME.

Reply 7 of 32, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I use an old Samsung 50" plasma, I think I bought it 2008. I will be really sad when it one day dies because I cant stand LCD TVs.
LCD screens are bad enough as computer screens. Lets hope OLED lives up to the hype.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 8 of 32, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
swaaye wrote:

The best route is probably a plasma TV. I've found the response time issues of LCD tech to be magnified with old low resolution gaming. Plasma reminds me of a CRT because there is no ghosting. Image retention of plasma is an overblown concern too IME.

IR/burn-in depends on the quality of the display IME. Cheap and/or old plasmas tend to be pretty bad about it, but newer quality models tend to be pretty liveable. I still wouldn't want to leave CNN on 24x7 but gaming shouldn't ruin it. 😀

Of course, also keep an eye on the actual specs of the tube in the PDP - some are only 1024x768 (and yes that means non-square pixels). Again, new + nice models can absolutely be 1080p, 3D, etc but it's still worth consideration if you're buying used or similar. 😊

Reply 9 of 32, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Skyscraper wrote:

I use an old Samsung 50" plasma, I think I bought it 2008. I will be really sad when it one day dies because I cant stand LCD TVs.
LCD screens are bad enough as computer screens. Lets hope OLED lives up to the hype.

LCD TVs vary but yeah plasma is pretty hard to beat for gaming. I don't think I've seen a LCD that handles dark action games like FEAR well. Always some ghosting. You don't want to combine that with low resolution and certainly not a noisy analog source like an old console.

Reply 10 of 32, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
obobskivich wrote:

IR/burn-in depends on the quality of the display IME. Cheap and/or old plasmas tend to be pretty bad about it, but newer quality models tend to be pretty liveable. I still wouldn't want to leave CNN on 24x7 but gaming shouldn't ruin it. 😀

Of course, also keep an eye on the actual specs of the tube in the PDP - some are only 1024x768 (and yes that means non-square pixels). Again, new + nice models can absolutely be 1080p, 3D, etc but it's still worth consideration if you're buying used or similar. 😊

I have a ~2008 Samsung 720p (1360x768) 50". I have played a ton of games on it without issue. Image retention happens easily but it goes away. I also watch a lot of 4:3 TV on it without issue.

I have seen some plasmas with major burn in. There's no denying that there are special considerations with a PDP. I wouldn't want to put one into use with kids who might leave it on all night for example. I'm also not convinced that they have the same longevity as a LCD in general so I wouldn't get one for an application where it would be in use continuously.

Reply 11 of 32, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
swaaye wrote:
obobskivich wrote:

I have a ~2008 Samsung 720p (1360x768) 50". I have played a ton of games on it without issue. Image retention happens easily but it goes away. I also watch a lot of 4:3 TV on it without issue.

I have seen some plasmas with major burn in. There's no denying that there are special considerations with a PDP. I wouldn't want to put one into use with kids who might leave it on all night for example. I'm also not convinced that they have the same longevity as a LCD in general so I wouldn't get one for an application where it would be in use continuously.

My Samsung plasma (full HD) also gets Image retention very often but its never permanent.
But if I played Starcraft 2 all day and all night every day and every night I would worry 😀

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 12 of 32, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
swaaye wrote:

Alright I should've clarified what I meant by old a bit better; 2008 is certainly in the "newer" category (but we're in 2015 now, and that's seven years ago 😲). I meant displays from the 1990s and early 2000s ("ten years ago" - except it's more like twenty now 😵). 😊 🤣

Reply 13 of 32, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
obobskivich wrote:

Alright I should've clarified what I meant by old a bit better; 2008 is certainly in the "newer" category (but we're in 2015 now, and that's seven years ago 😲). I meant displays from the 1990s and early 2000s ("ten years ago" - except it's more like twenty now 😵). 😊 🤣

😀
I don't have any experience with plasma displays made before 2006 but yeah I have heard they were more easily damaged and less reliable.

Reply 14 of 32, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Great Hierophant wrote:

Sounds very interesting. I wonder how does it handle 640x400 @85Hz.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 15 of 32, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Higher resolution = more room and more options for scaling. If my main concern was image quality, I would go with the highest resolution monitor/TV I could find.

My main concern is "input" lag though, and I think yours should be as well. Read up on it. Most TVs have terrible display lag (I'm NOT talking about what TV manufacturers list as response times).

Reply 16 of 32, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah the more processing the TV needs to do to the source the more delay. If you can feed it a native resolution signal and disable all enhancements (or use a PC mode), lag shouldn't be a problem.

Reply 17 of 32, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
swaaye wrote:

Yeah the more processing the TV needs to do to the source the more delay. If you can feed it a native resolution signal and disable all enhancements (or use a PC mode), lag shouldn't be a problem.

On many modern TVs, it's still a problem. It is on many monitors too.

On monitors your chances of getting a low input lag monitor is better, but with TVs I definitely would recommend research.

Reply 18 of 32, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Everything you need to know about scalers, although it is console centric: http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/

You don't need a VGA to composite adapter, you need a scaler 😜 Some let you pass through the signal without scaling, but since you are doing an analog-to-digital conversion, you might as well scale it to the panel's native resolution in the process. The less lag, the better.

For those recommending plasmas, the only company that was left making them was Samsung and I think they recently stopped production. A shame because I prefer those displays over LCDs (even circa 2014 IPS LCDs still have viewing angle and black level issues). They also seem to be more repairable when they fail too. That being said, if you can find a higher end Panasonic 1080p plasma used locally, I wouldn't hesitate to pick it up.

Reply 19 of 32, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

These review sites are great for console gamers and whenever a new scaler appears the console community review them. But they never bother running an old 320 x 200 DOS game to see what it looks like 🙁

The issue is that not only does it have to be scaled, it also needs aspect ratio correction because 320 x 200 on modern square pixel displays has a 16:10 ratio and needs to be converted to 4:3.

You just need to check YouTube and 95% of DOS videos are in this wrong 16:10 aspect ratio.

The other issue is that console gamers focus on low resolution images. They don't look at scaling quality at 1024 x 768, 1280 x 1024 or 1600 x 1200. At these high resolutions you can easily spot the weak scalers.