VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm sure here on VOGONS there must be quite some talented and expert people doing programming and i would like if possible some critcism/advice. But before that a little of my history:

During early 2014, from late March to early June i took a programming course. It was one of those things i had to do officially because i was unemployed and receiving social security benefit. Because i was always curious about programming, and i had experience with ARMA 2 game scripting language i thought this was good to keep me occupied.
So, i was told it would be a C++/Java introduction course. Thing is was was really taught was more of a mixture of C with C++. In 3 months we never learned anything from C++ STL or any OOP for that matter. Funniest thing is that instead of that we were given mostly was C functions from C libraries. One funny moment during a class was when i claimed that i could compare strings with the '=' operator. The guy teaching us told me i couldn't do that because string is not a primitive data type but a composite one, which i replied: "I know but isn't this a C plus plus course?"

Anyway we had to build an automobile database project trying to use every knowledge that was given to us the best way possible. Me, personally because i wanted to build a functional program that would work, instead of a mess that would crash by even a user input error, i went on my own studying the STL libraries and try to implement things a little better. First i was given criticism by using an STL container, but after i explained how i could implement my own dynamic container using C arrays he cut me some slack. I ended up getting the highest grade and i was pretty proud of what i had achieved. I was specially happy with myself because everyone disliked pointers so much and i absolutely love them, and my program uses them extensively. In fact i think i completely scrapped "pass by value" in my program.

Since last july, i barely did any programming. Firstly i don't think i'm ready to take a programming job, i feel like my knowledge is far from being enough. I know that i have the potential, but nowadays i can't find anything that gives me motivation to study or practice more. I'm kinda cursed with my conscience: "You don't know enough, you won't be able to take this kind of job. Get real!".

A good idea would be for me to try and get back on track. Maybe try to develop some kind of simple tool for DOS, yeah DOS not only because i would like to do something useful for my retro hobby but also because i can't do GUI stuff. All i can do is simple CLI. Baahhhh....

So i throw this question for everyone out there, including those without any programming experience: What kind of Command Line Interface DOS tool or whatever would you like to have? Uhhh by the way i don't think i can write any kind of drivers at this point...

Now exclusively for the programming fellas out there, i would like some thoughts/criticism about my C++ project. If any of you guys won't mind to spare 5 of 10 mins of your life to take a look at my 1000 lines of code project, i'll be keen and eager to send my source code via PM to anyone interested in giving some criticism. I wanna be judged. 🤣

Well enough ranting for now. I'm hoping ripsaw8080 checks this thread out. 😎

Reply 1 of 22, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There's... not really a whole lot of stuff left to do in terms of DOS utilities. Not to mention if you're looking for practical experience, coding for DOS isn't going to cut it anymore. You'll gain syntax experience for sure, but nothing in terms of working with the operating systems in place or in terms of things like TCP/IP networking or such. Heck, some of the things you have to worry about when writing DOS code are obsolete by today's standards, such as allocating near and far memory pointers.

If you're going to code for DOS, do it for fun, not for any practical reasons, and just code something you yourself would want to have. There may be some other people who'd enjoy what you make too, but do it because it's something you want, not because it's something everyone else wants.

Otherwise, if you're looking at programming as a career potential, stick with modern operating systems and coding languages/environments.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 2 of 22, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I always thought a DOS cataloguing utility would be nice. Something where I could enter data and a brief description to keep track of all my books. Also an additional stipulation would be that it has to run on a PCjr which has a 4.77mhz 8088 cpu and 640k ram.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 3 of 22, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was specially happy with myself because everyone disliked pointers so much and i absolutely love them, and my program uses them extensively. I

That's pretty funny. It seems like most people always struggle with pointers but I picked them up pretty quick.
Anyway, if there is something needed, it will probably end up being something you need yourself

Reply 4 of 22, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
King_Corduroy wrote:

I always thought a DOS cataloguing utility would be nice. Something where I could enter data and a brief description to keep track of all my books. Also an additional stipulation would be that it has to run on a PCjr which has a 4.77mhz 8088 cpu and 640k ram.

I could do that. Problem is that i don't own a PCjr and i would have to use an emulator. But thanks for the idea.

Gemini000 wrote:

If you're going to code for DOS, do it for fun, not for any practical reasons, and just code something you yourself would want to have. There may be some other people who'd enjoy what you make too, but do it because it's something you want, not because it's something everyone else wants.

Otherwise, if you're looking at programming as a career potential, stick with modern operating systems and coding languages/environments.

The whole idea was doing it for fun, but at the same time to do something that would be somewhat useful so to speak. I would probably stick with C and i can't do any x86 assembly. Far too complicated for me.

Reply 5 of 22, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe consider command-line Unix stuff instead of just DOS? Unix and C/C++ go together like peas and carrots.

That will certainly open up more job opportunities. I mean, do the DOS stuff if you like but it is not going to be marketable.

As far as your motivation, it sounds like you have it but maybe you've just hit a slump. It seems like you have a real passion for it, and everyone has to start somewhere. Don't let the lack of credentials stop you, programming is one of the few areas where what you can do matters more. Granted, you will face an uphill battle but you can still make your own way.

Reply 8 of 22, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

how about vb.net (just remembered there is also c++.net)
you can create cli applications with it plus if you do decide to do gui programing its easy everything is visual want a scollbar drag one onto your form
a cli hello world program (in vb.net)

Module Module1

Sub Main()
' The classic "Hello World" demonstration program
Console.WriteLine("Hello, world!")
End Sub

End Module

plus its free
http://www.visualstudio.com/downloads/downloa … nloadFamilies_4

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 10 of 22, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The full version of Visual Studio 2013 was recently released as "freeware", check out the Community edition.
If you're going VS then have a look at C# too. I think it's pretty awesome.

Reply 12 of 22, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
smeezekitty wrote:

One reason to shy away from C# is poor portability

True. That said i fuckin' hate Java. I admit Java is awesome for OOP but i hate its syntax. Verbose piece of crap.

Reply 13 of 22, by mbbrutman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There are lots of different types of code that one can get paid to write. I've been paid to write Java, C++ for the internals of an operating system, C++ for firmware, a little FORTRAN, assembler, etc. And then I write code at home for DOS.

To me, writing code for DOS is very similar to writing code in an embedded environment. A real embedded environment, not one where you are given Linux as a base. When you write for DOS you get full control of the machine and its resources. Which means that anything that if anything goes wrong, it was your fault. It is a challenging environment to debug in too.

You are not going to get a paying job with DOS projects on your resume. But the skills that you use doing DOS projects certainly are usable elsewhere. So yes, do a DOS project for fun. But think of it as general brain training.

I don't have a suggestion for a specific utility to write. I write DOS networking utilities (mTCP) for my projects. (Somebody earlier said you would be missing out on TCP/IP - I beg to differ.) The best projects are those that people think are crazy; there is where you have to be clever and really stretch the brain.

Reply 14 of 22, by vlask

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Graphics card speed benchmark that will work on vga cards as well as cga/ega/hercules cards so we can compare them. That would ofc require different program settings. Only one i found is Diag which can do these tests, but nowhere any info what these results mean.
So benchmark with basic settings working on all cards except text only MDA - if you separate tests then it could be run even on MDA (text speed + basic color tests for all cards - emulating basic games, something like 3dbench - could be 2d) and advanced tests for vga and never cards (256colors, hi color, higher resolutions). best will be with ability to write results to txt file.

Not only mine graphics cards collection at http://www.vgamuseum.info