VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is a new, cartridge based console due out soon. It's aimed at fans of 16 bit games (SNES/Megadrive (Genesis) etc) and so has similar hardware specifications. And no, I'm not joking, and this isn't a late April fools joke.

And the new console, known as the Retro VGS, is being made to deliberately look like the Atari Jaguar. And NO, I am not joking, they really are (a) making a games console with specifications that would have been outdated twenty-years ago, and (b) making it look like one of the biggest failures in console history.

For details (and to see that I'm not lying!), go to:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/05/retro-v … game-cartridge/

http://venturebeat.com/2015/05/08/this-is-how … o-game-console/

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/235213-new-c … eo-game-system/

Even though I won't be buying one, I hope it pleases fans of the 16 bit systems, and is a success. But I have to say that I really, really can't see how this can be anything other than a total commercial failure.

Reply 1 of 3, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I.... don't get it......

?????

I mean, I understand what's physically going on here, but... what???

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 2 of 3, by calvin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm betting dead on arrival. Unless they have a good toolchain with decent specs to back it up, thus removing the point, there is no way you'll get any games beyond very primitive homebrew stuff, let alone commercial games. Developers don't develop in machine-specific assembly and bitbanging I/O registers of special-purpose processors anymore, it's done in C at the bare minimum, and more likely in high-level engines and frameworks, expecting somewhat modern capabilities.

Oh yeah, and we already have things like cartidges. They're called "SD cards" and "solid state disks." You can freely back up the contents.

2xP2 450, 512 MB SDR, GeForce DDR, Asus P2B-D, Windows 2000
P3 866, 512 MB RDRAM, Radeon X1650, Dell Dimension XPS B866, Windows 7
M2 @ 250 MHz, 64 MB SDE, SiS5598, Compaq Presario 2286, Windows 98

Reply 3 of 3, by Lo Wang

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

"Originally, I just wanted it to be a 2D machine," Kennedy told Venturebeat. "But if we spend an extra five, ten, twelve dollars, can we beef it up enough to go to that next generation? We’re sort of playing that game with ourselves right now, where we want to draw the line for developers and what kind of games we want to see on this thing"

Looks like they're shooting for something a lil bit more modern, a sort of primitive 3D console perhaps, but if that's the case, you can pretty much kiss proper hardware sprites goodbye.

If they indeed take the step, however, hardcore assembly programming won't play much of a role given the speeds even cheap, old CPU's designed for embedded systems have been pushing for sometime now.

Personally, I have no use for it as the premise stands. They either recreate a proper system from the era that no one will care to program for commercially, or make it a low end PC that's not gonna be fast enough to run a port of whatever thing's being sold right now, for if an indie game developing company plans to get any of the invested money back, they can't settle for a single platform, it just isn't going to work.

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved" - Romans 10:9