VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's bulk trash month again and I found a nice, clean Medion 9322c, P4 system. It's complete except for not having a hard drive. I figured this wouldn't be a problem, just slap in a spare hard drive and install Windows.

Unfortunately, I've been unable to locate the drivers or a manual for this system. The Medion web site has absolutely no references to it at all. I used the contact link and go an automated response which said i could reply for more help. I replied and the response I got back told me to go to the web site. When I replied that I'd already checked the web site, I didn't get any further response.

A general Google search just turns up scam sites that want you to install their malware, supposedly to download the drivers, but there's no way in hell I'm going to do that.

The system has an integrated card reader and a strange GeForce4 MX440 graphics card. I only know the model of the card because it's on the sticker on the front of the case. The card itself really has no identifying marks on it. What it does have is an audio connector, which is connected to the audio unit in the front of the case. This unit not only has audio jacks, but also a 15-pin gameport connector. I've never seen that in an integrated audio solution before, nor have I ever seen an audio cable going to a video card.

It's a nice looking system and seems like it would be a good little system if I could find the drivers for all the components.

Anyone have any ideas?

Reply 1 of 4, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd start booting it from a Knoppix linux distro. On a console, throw lspci and lsusb commands. The first one should list you every PCI device connected to the system, and the second should list every USB device (alternately, you could use a PCI list program from Windows or DOS).

Using that info, you could try downloading drivers from the devices manufacturer.

EDIT: If your audio is onboard, lspci won't list it. I have no reliable way to know what audio chipset has a board, except opening the computer and looking for the chip.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 2 of 4, by calvin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Zup wrote:

I'd start booting it from a Knoppix linux distro. On a console, throw lspci and lsusb commands. The first one should list you every PCI device connected to the system, and the second should list every USB device (alternately, you could use a PCI list program from Windows or DOS).

Using that info, you could try downloading drivers from the devices manufacturer.

EDIT: If your audio is onboard, lspci won't list it. I have no reliable way to know what audio chipset has a board, except opening the computer and looking for the chip.

It'll list audio if it's connected to PCI - which on a P4 systems, it very likely is. (If not a card, on the chipset.)

2xP2 450, 512 MB SDR, GeForce DDR, Asus P2B-D, Windows 2000
P3 866, 512 MB RDRAM, Radeon X1650, Dell Dimension XPS B866, Windows 7
M2 @ 250 MHz, 64 MB SDE, SiS5598, Compaq Presario 2286, Windows 98

Reply 3 of 4, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
calvin wrote:

It'll list audio if it's connected to PCI - which on a P4 systems, it very likely is. (If not a card, on the chipset.)

If it is a PCI sound card, lspci will list the sound card. But if it is connected to the southbridge (i.e.: most onboard sound cards), it will detect the board chipset but not the real codec (ALC, Realtek, those things) behind it. I guess ALSA could retrieve this information, or maybe checking the sub-IDs (that are shown using the verbose option) should help... but I prefer to open the case and locate the codec on the board.

Thanks for remembering that lsusb and lspci will detect USB and PCI devices, but they won't list any ISA device. I guess you won't find many ISA cards on P4 systems, but I used ISA cards on earlier systems (i.e. Ahtlon).

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 4 of 4, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

http://www.hw-museum.cz/data/vga/pic/big/Medi … ce4_MX460_F.jpg

I have one of these Medion GF4mx 460 cards, has the odd audio type connector, always wondered about it.

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME