VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm just curious about how well (or not so well) it works vs something like Steam. Or is it just an intermediary, like you buy the game and then they give you a Steam/GOG/Origin/whatever code?

Reply 1 of 5, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some games they give you a Steam/Origin code, but some games (such as Manhunt 2) require you to go through the Amazon Downloader, which is a exe, and you run it, choose where you want the install files stored, and the let it download and run the installer. Pretty decent imo.

Reply 2 of 5, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does it require some Amazon client software to be running for the non-Steam/Origin/whatever downloaded game to work? Or just to install? (is it like Amazon's MP3 thing where you need their little plug-in for downloading, but once it's downloaded, you just have a normal mp3 file?)

Reply 3 of 5, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
obobskivich wrote:

Does it require some Amazon client software to be running for the non-Steam/Origin/whatever downloaded game to work? Or just to install? (is it like Amazon's MP3 thing where you need their little plug-in for downloading, but once it's downloaded, you just have a normal mp3 file?)

It doesn't have a client, it downloads through a standalone Downloader though.

Reply 4 of 5, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got Return to castle wolfenstein off amazon as a download and it was through steam.

Main: AMD FX 6300 six core 3.5ghz (OC 4ghz)
16gb DDR3, Nvidia Geforce GT740 4gb Gfx card, running Win7 Ultimate x64
Linux: AMD Athlon 64 4000+, 1.5GB DDR, Nvidia Quadro FX1700 running Debian Jessie 8.4.0

Reply 5 of 5, by Foxhack

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ahendricks18 wrote:

I got Return to castle wolfenstein off amazon as a download and it was through steam.

Again, it depends on the game and the publisher. For example:

This Sega Genesis pack includes Steam codes. This one does not. (It also has a few different games, but that's not the point.)

The listings usually say if a game is downloaded through Amazon or if they give you a Steam key (or Origin, sometimes!)