VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Nic-93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I heard one of my brothers friends uses a similare one for those party's, is that true?
could i use that for network shareing files between other computers to?

Reply 1 of 7, by Solarstorm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, Juniper makes Business grade hardware and they're super expensive.
I don't think you need them on small LAN parties. But the bigger the party the more ports the better it is if you have such beasts.
And of course you can share files over them.
But have in mind that business switches are managed, meaning setting them up is not easy at all.

My YouTube Channel

Reply 3 of 7, by Solarstorm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm not familiar with Juniper at all, so i can't say anything about their PSUs or their smaller devices.
A quick search brought up this PDF http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/hardware/nets … HW_SSG5_600.pdf
It looks like a normal PSU though if you find one with 12V >4.2A and a fitting plug with the correct polarity you should be fine.

My YouTube Channel

Reply 4 of 7, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

More familiar with the 24 and 48 port switches but can agree with what's been said.
If you cant find a PSU, you can always use one of those generic laptop style adaptors that let you control the output and have a number of connections to choose from.

It'll be overkill for a home LAN but nothing wrong with that. It'll need configuring although if you factory reset it should also be OK (but may be on a different IP range) the manual will help out with that

Reply 5 of 7, by Nic-93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote:

More familiar with the 24 and 48 port switches but can agree with what's been said.
If you cant find a PSU, you can always use one of those generic laptop style adaptors that let you control the output and have a number of connections to choose from.

It'll be overkill for a home LAN but nothing wrong with that. It'll need configuring although if you factory reset it should also be OK (but may be on a different IP range) the manual will help out with that

its one of the small versions with 6 ports on it.

Reply 6 of 7, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nic-93 wrote:

I heard one of my brothers friends uses a similare one for those party's, is that true?

Well, depends on what they use it for - ask them?

The SSG stands for a "Secure Services Gateway", so it is basically a home router with a firewall and multiple 100Mbit network interfaces and possibility to isolate certain ports from each others. It can also do VPN, so that you can access your home PC behind a firewall through the unsafe internet, or connect two network locations together securely over unsafe internet.

It is not a pure network switch, and frankly, at a modern LAN party, you would most likely want to connect all LAN party PCs to a switch with Gigabit ethernet speeds.

Nic-93 wrote:

could i use that for network shareing files between other computers to?

Not really, or maybe. It could be possible to configure it as a pure switch, but it would have 100Mbit speed limit. If the switching is done by routing, the throughput will be less.
Computers share files between them, they are servers and clients, and they need to be connected together somehow, like directly or through a switch, and they need to be configured correctly to talk over the network. This box has nothing to do with file sharing itself (but can help PCs a bit, see below).

So it could be useful anyway. You could use it as a router/gateway so that you make a untrusted network for LAN party guests, and still provide them with internet access from your home, and still have a secure network for your own network that the guests cannot access. And the device can also serve IP addresses to guests so they can just use DHCP autoconfiguration. Just add a 8-port or 24-port Gigabit ethernet switch for LAN party guests.