Topic actions

First post, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

AMD is considering breaking up/spinning off the company:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/exclusive-advan … -230631292.html

Truly, the end of an era. My current system is an Intel box but I have a Radeon card in it. Intel will have sky high prices forever if AMD goes away.

**edit** - I guess it is not as bad as declaring bankruptcy, if they were to spin off the graphics division it might be easier to compete with Intel. Declaring bankruptcy or de-listing the stock would truly be bad.

Reply 2 of 21, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I hope they call the spun-off GPU division ATi again.

I still say ATi... old habits die hard I suppose.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 3 of 21, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It should split. AMD processors are a much better investment for the money, especially the cheap A10 series.
They need to have diverse technology in order to compete with other companies and also to create a standard them self's.

Lets not forget Russian processors as well. The more companies in the game = better for end user.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 5 of 21, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It ain't happening for quite a while. The article says they are looking at their options, nothing more.

The main issue for AMD is that they have to share R&D funds with the GPU division. I don't know if this would be a good idea or not.

Reply 6 of 21, by Chaniyth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SquallStrife wrote:

I hope they call the spun-off GPU division ATi again.

I still say ATi... old habits die hard I suppose.

I totally agree with you on them naming it ATI Technologies Inc. again if the graphics division splits. I always say ATI as well when speaking of the Radeon graphics cards. Saying "AMD Radeon" to me just feels and sounds weird.

All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and when they catch you, they will kill you... but first they must catch you. 😁

Reply 8 of 21, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stojke wrote:

Lets not forget Russian processors as well. The more companies in the game = better for end user.

OMG don't kick the dead dog, Russian CPUs are based on 65 nm process, priced several times higher then top-end Intel CPUs and can't cope with Libre Office while running Linux. The way it works in Russia, billions are invested, 10% is used for development and 90% is stolen. Russia will never be competitive on CPU market, unless corruption stops being a major problem.

Reply 9 of 21, by Chaniyth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
F2bnp wrote:

Why? At this point in time, AMD has been using the Radeon moniker roughly as long as ATi was using it.

Considering i'm 34, I've always known the original company as ATI. Many of us grew up knowing the company as ATI as well, which is the biggest reason why.

All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and when they catch you, they will kill you... but first they must catch you. 😁

Reply 10 of 21, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RacoonRider wrote:
Stojke wrote:

OMG don't kick the dead dog, Russian CPUs are based on 65 nm process, priced several times higher then top-end Intel CPUs and can't cope with Libre Office while running Linux. The way it works in Russia, billions are invested, 10% is used for development and 90% is stolen. Russia will never be competitive on CPU market, unless corruption stops being a major problem.

Not going in to politics: I do not think beeing competitive is the goal for Russias CPU (and other hardware) development projects. I think its more about the defense and information sector having access to hardware without "undocumented features" they do not know about.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 11 of 21, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Skyscraper wrote:
RacoonRider wrote:
Stojke wrote:

Not going in to politics: I do not think beeing competitive is the goal for Russias CPU (and other hardware) development projects. I think its more about the defense and information sector having access to hardware without "undocumented features" they do not know about.

Well, that's what they originally advertised 😀 They planned building the CPUs in Russia and I even heard rumors of them buying a complete outdated plant from AMD for this production. However, when the CPUs finally appeared, they were all manufactured by a 3rd party firm from Taiwan. Not exactly something I would do if I were paranoid about all the undocumented features. Besides, CPUs alone are not enough: the whole system has to be home-made, from mobo and memory to HDDs. Anything could feed precious information to The Enemy 😈

Anyway, all I meant to say was that these processors are far from being "in the game".

Last edited by RacoonRider on 2015-06-21, 04:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 12 of 21, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Skyscraper wrote:

You mean so they can have their own set of "undocumented features"?

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 13 of 21, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Russia doesn't have the economy needed for CPU production nor the vast amount of R&D money needed for design. If you look at the US only Intel can afford to make CPUs here in the US.

Anyway ATI was viable before the merger and they can split it off easily enough. The way patent sharing is done between AMD and Intel I don't think they can split off the CPU section under another company legally.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 14 of 21, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
collector wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:

You mean so they can have their own set of "undocumented features"?

Well of course! 😀

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 15 of 21, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

By the way, our plant has Department #1, which protects national secrets. And they are only allowed to use mechanical typewriters. The thing is, "protected" computer would cost a lot of money and would have to be inspected over short periods of time, so why bother 😁

Reply 16 of 21, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RacoonRider wrote:

By the way, our plant has Department #1, which protects national secrets. And they are only allowed to use mechanical typewriters. The thing is, "protected" computer would cost a lot of money and would have to be inspected over short periods of time, so why bother 😁

Typewriters 🤣
A lot of things you hear about Russia is apparently true. How much safer is a typewriter compared to a non-networked computer?

Reply 17 of 21, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Give it some time, it will spark others to start producing as well.
In my opinion we should have all had 32core RISC processors by now if Amiga didn't die.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 18 of 21, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
smeezekitty wrote:
RacoonRider wrote:

Typewriters 🤣
A lot of things you hear about Russia is apparently true. How much safer is a typewriter compared to a non-networked computer?

Depends on how and where you store the paper and if you trust the person with the paper and if the agency has taken measures to prevent removal and\or capture of it.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline