VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

All this time, I never had any idea just how easy file transfers with Bluetooth are. Apparently all you need are Bluetooth adapters on each computer – and you can get a USB Bluetooth adapter for a couple of dollars. Send the file on one end, receive it on the other – boom! No mucking about with cables or passwords or authentication or firewalls or who knows what else.

Has anyone else here been using Bluetooth for file transfers? What's the catch?

Reply 1 of 4, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can use wireless network for file transfer. Setup is just as fast as with Bluetooth.
There are also USB network cables, but require software.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 2 of 4, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bluetooth can be secured/paired, which is ideal if you're in an environment where multiple devices may be operating. Otherwise it's quite simple plug-n-play as you've observed. The other catch is that it's quite slow (at absolute max ~20Mbit (on 4.0 devices), but Bluetooth 1.0 and 2.0 devices will be more like 1-2 Mbit), and has relatively limited range (usually only a few meters). It's great for "simple" stuff like audio devices, input devices, etc but for big file transfers or something high bitrate (e.g. HD video) I'd probably prefer a LAN, or direct connection via some faster medium like USB, FireWire, etc.

Reply 3 of 4, by Splinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm a big fan of Bluetooth file transfer, at least up until XP which supported it flawlessly.
Windows 7 and onwards is all hit and miss with more miss at least in my experience.

http://www.compufixshop.com
Main rig Ryzen 2600X Strix RX580 32GB RAM
Secondary rig FX8350 GTX960 16GB RAM

Reply 4 of 4, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Only used it from android to PC - not sure if there is any way to permanently allow it between paired devices - always have to select "receive file".

PS. The ever popular USB Bluetooth can be a little annoying, blinking away (and they are usually quite bright) - I slung mine in a rear USB port ... does hurt the range a bit.