VOGONS

First post, by fyy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This torrent has 1 or 2 seeds, and a handful of peers. You know, downloading such a massive torrent for such a long time, you feel like you get to know the other people in some weird way. Without this seed online I get about 20 KB/sec. When the seed comes on I get 400 KB/sec+ I was thinking about how funny it would be to pull off a Kevin Mitnick (social engineering) and find the owner of this seed's IP and give him a call to tell him to stay on and that I'm grateful he's still seeding. That would be awesome. Any of you have any torrent stories? 😁

Reply 1 of 32, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No because I don't feel the need to torrent.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 32, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Need it fast for school work -> Download speed 5kB/s -> Downloads after 5 years -> Get password at adfly/34t_5h1t_4nd_d13.com
FFFFFFFF

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 3 of 32, by fyy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

No because I don't feel the need to torrent.

Something tells me you were typing that with your arms crossed and a frowny face. Whats wrong? 😊

Reply 4 of 32, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just haven't had the need to, as it's highly unlikely the rare files I seek for appear in p2p services. Not even in those big repack ones. so as a result I don't have any torrent stories to share.

🙁

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 32, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When Photonicinduction went through a "I don't like Internet fame!" and closed down his YouTube channel I realized I had only downloaded very few of his videos (and I seem to never fully learn the lesson of "If you like something from the Internet, save it, it might be gone tomorrow") so I went looking around for mirrors of the stuff and found one who had saved every video he'd ever done. I 'politely' ran a mass downloader on it and about halfway through the mirror was taken down! I went looking elsewhere and stumbled upon a dead torrent. Seeing that the files matched, I thought maybe if I inject my incomplete stuff into the torrent it might be enough to recreate the complete archive, so I threw it all in, and it was!

Later Photon came back better than ever so it wasn't really necessary, but it was a great reminder that things don't last forever and will disappear before your very eyes.

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 6 of 32, by fyy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
133MHz wrote:

Seeing that the files matched, I thought maybe if I inject my incomplete stuff into the torrent it might be enough to recreate the complete archive, so I threw it all in, and it was!

Haha, that's kind of what I'm doing right now. The torrent itself is from a private tracker, but I also found a public tracker with the same data. The files are the same, but the private trackers root directory is renamed slightly so I can't make them work together at the same time (and private trackers hate that apparently anyways), but what I can do Is pause the download on the private tracker, rename the directory and resume it on the public tracker.

Reply 7 of 32, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
133MHz wrote:

When Photonicinduction went through a "I don't like Internet fame!" and closed down his YouTube channel I realized I had only downloaded very few of his videos (and I seem to never fully learn the lesson of "If you like something from the Internet, save it, it might be gone tomorrow")

He weren't 'avin it. 😜

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 8 of 32, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Probably the last main thing of consequence that I torrented was the LA game patches after they shut down the LA FTP. I will probably never use most of them, but did not want to rely on chance to be able to find them in the future. As far as I know I am just about the only person to grab most of the patches from the Sierra FTP before it went down.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 9 of 32, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
fyy wrote:

This torrent has 1 or 2 seeds, and a handful of peers. You know, downloading such a massive torrent for such a long time, you feel like you get to know the other people in some weird way. Without this seed online I get about 20 KB/sec. When the seed comes on I get 400 KB/sec+ I was thinking about how funny it would be to pull off a Kevin Mitnick (social engineering) and find the owner of this seed's IP and give him a call to tell him to stay on and that I'm grateful he's still seeding. That would be awesome. Any of you have any torrent stories? 😁

I have one torrent that is literally missing part of it. It has been stuck at 59.7% for a month.
I hope another seeder comes on with the whole file because it is almost unavailable anywhere else.

That would be awesome.

Meh. It would probably creep him the hell out.

84 GB is a big torrent. I hardly even have 84 Gigs of free disk space.

Reply 10 of 32, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I remember trying to get Phantasmagoria 2 back in 2006 or so. GOG/Steam and digital distribution wasn't really a thing back then, so the only chance you had to replay a game was to find a copy online. Back then I had no means of ordering online, so I had to go through more piratey ways.
Anyway, I remember finding this one torrent that had maybe a couple of seeders. Phantasmagoria 2 comes on 5 CDs AFAIR, so it was certainly not a small game in size. I was usually downloading at 5 KB/s, sometimes it would rise to 20 KB/s or even 50 KB/s. I remember it taking a little over a month, but it certainly was worth it, I had a lot of fun with that game. The build-up was something else 🤣 .

Another interesting story, I first got a broadband connection back in late 2005. Up until that point, I had to use 56 Kbps Dial-Up, but then 512Kbps became quite affordable. I was so happy that I would finally be able to download a ton of old games that came on CD and I really wanted to play (remember, I had practically 0 means of acquiring said games, unless I happened to run across them on some select stores I had on my list). First thing I ever downloaded with my broadband connection was a demo of The Dig off of the ScummVM website. I think it was roughly 40MB and I was practically awestruck when I saw just how blazingly fast it was done! That game had always fascinated me, ever since I first laid eyes upon it on a friend's computer back in 2001-2002.
I also grabbed the then latest version of ScummVM and played the demo and loved it.
But, this is a thread about torrenting so I should make my story a little more relevant. My first experience of using torrents was just a few days later when I grabbed Azureus (anyone remember that? It later became Vuze) and found a torrent of The Dig and another one of a Bee Gees live performance of all things 😖. A few hours later, I was playing The Dig 😀. I will never forget what big of a change going broadband was.

Reply 11 of 32, by Snayperskaya

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have cool memories back from when IRC was the #2 (just after usenet), like downloading a ISO with dial up (5KB/s yeaaaa). It took me a month and a half to finish it since I only used it on weekends 😀

Reply 12 of 32, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Longest running download I had took 6 months (of almost 24/7 running), forgot what it was.

Reply 13 of 32, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just take my laptop to the library and do my big downloads there because we have a 3g hotspot from 2009 as our home internet.

Main: AMD FX 6300 six core 3.5ghz (OC 4ghz)
16gb DDR3, Nvidia Geforce GT740 4gb Gfx card, running Win7 Ultimate x64
Linux: AMD Athlon 64 4000+, 1.5GB DDR, Nvidia Quadro FX1700 running Debian Jessie 8.4.0

Reply 14 of 32, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ahendricks18 wrote:

I just take my laptop to the library and do my big downloads there because we have a 3g hotspot from 2009 as our home internet.

Unlimited data at least?

Reply 15 of 32, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
smeezekitty wrote:
ahendricks18 wrote:

Unlimited data at least?

Nope, 5gb a month. It technically is unlimited, but if you go past 5gb they (verizon) throttles your connection speed. Right now I'm at a hotel on my laptop downloading torrents and its lightning fast to me.

Main: AMD FX 6300 six core 3.5ghz (OC 4ghz)
16gb DDR3, Nvidia Geforce GT740 4gb Gfx card, running Win7 Ultimate x64
Linux: AMD Athlon 64 4000+, 1.5GB DDR, Nvidia Quadro FX1700 running Debian Jessie 8.4.0

Reply 16 of 32, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

yea i have never torrented, I last used P2P software when WinMX was hot 🤣. What was that 2001?

Reply 17 of 32, by ik777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Use baidu cloud. It supports "http ftp donkey torrent" via my cloud storage when offline, and its crazy 2055GB will store anything else.

After I upload whole my DOS/old windows stuff... every files want read it from me 🤣

file.php?mode=view&id=18662&sid=04a8829a6f765cee36a4ea00998d9f72

Too bad if you are far off china.

Reply 18 of 32, by Lo Wang

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was once temped to get the geocities torrent, but I quickly realized I couldn't even remember one page that I'd have much of an interest in and how pointless and wasteful it would have been for me to store all of that.

That kind of pain (192 kb's per second on the speediest of days) I'd only be willing to endure for something like the dejanews archive.

The closest thing to a p2p story I have was bypassing downloading restrictions in the very early days of kazaa by web-browsing the IP address of a particular user and fooling around with nushi poison on winmx.

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved" - Romans 10:9

Reply 19 of 32, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Lo Wang wrote:

I was once temped to get the geocities torrent, but I quickly realized I couldn't even remember one page that I'd have much of an interest in and how pointless and wasteful it would have been for me to store all of that.

That kind of pain (192 kb's per second on the speediest of days) I'd only be willing to endure for something like the dejanews archive.

The closest thing to a p2p story I have was bypassing downloading restrictions in the very early days of kazaa by web-browsing the IP address of a particular user and fooling around with nushi poison on winmx.

I didn't know that Geocities had a torrent. I actually DO come across Geocities resources fairly often.
But most of them are saved in the internet archive or on reocities or oocities anyway. I certainly don't have the disk space to hold 652 GB of data