VOGONS

Common searches

Any of you on Windows 10?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 81 of 228, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
brostenen wrote:
Yet another reason for not doing the switch, falls into the cookie-jar.... ;-) Perhaps this Win10 thing is better left to ordina […]
Show full quote

Yet another reason for not doing the switch, falls into the cookie-jar.... 😉
Perhaps this Win10 thing is better left to ordinaery people and corporations.

If this update thing is going to do more harm, I am glad that I am done being
everyone's personal "you can call him at all time" supporter.
Not that I hate resquing data, or fixing peoples Windows, because they clicked
on this "you are a winner" thing. I just don't want to every week, for free.

I'm just curious. Are you in favor of forcing people to get vaccinations against their will? If you're in favor of forced immunizations because of "herd immunity", then why wouldn't you be in favor of forced updates to Windows? The same concept of "herd immunity" to head off viruses and malware before they can become more widespread applies.

Reply 82 of 228, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had 10 preview on a laptop [which has an 8 licence] and a desktop [no underlying 7/8 licence], to try out the 10 experience. I have a low end Lumia too.

I got sick of adverts and distractions from apps so I've turned the desktop off, unplugged it and wrapped it in cellophane - aka mothballed. I am now much more productive, sticking with Vista and 7 on my main machines - ain't broke so not getting fixed. Slightly annoyed that Sunless Sea ran on this but wouldn't run on near-identical hardware running 7 [apparently an unfindable, corrupt font causing the problem]. But that became boring so not a massive loss; just wonder if this is an indication 10 is more stable.

My laptop is still running 10 Pro, seems to not be an insider build [it had been...], even though I didn't have "8 pro". 8 had been ok while the touchscreen worked, but once that failed, it became an annoyance. 10 is a lot better for this laptop.

I'm really quite a convert to Windows Phone + Onedrive though - pictures immediately backed up to cloud and accessible from other devices.

Reply 83 of 228, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm still using 7 on my desktop ATM. I usually use the original OS on the computer I am using, save for my windows 7 desktop, which had 8.1 until a recent HDD failure so I replaced the OS. But the main thing I dont want, aside from mandatory updates (our internet sucks), is ads. My mom's kindle fire (HD?) has ads on the lock screen. Even though she has amazon prime, she still gets stupid ads on the lock screen. IMHO that's really lame and if it were my device I would send it back, or root it. So, if MS were to do that I just would stop supporting them.

Main: AMD FX 6300 six core 3.5ghz (OC 4ghz)
16gb DDR3, Nvidia Geforce GT740 4gb Gfx card, running Win7 Ultimate x64
Linux: AMD Athlon 64 4000+, 1.5GB DDR, Nvidia Quadro FX1700 running Debian Jessie 8.4.0

Reply 84 of 228, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ahendricks18 wrote:

the main thing I dont want, aside from mandatory updates (our internet sucks), is ads. ... So, if MS were to do that I just would stop supporting them.

I'm feeling the same. I thought this was limited to google stuff ie android but I get ads on Windows Phone games by Microsoft now. Or rather I don't as it caused me to uninstall them.

Reply 85 of 228, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would only use Windows 10 if I had proof if it does not have the NSA backdoor vulnerability introduced in Windows 8. I was reading that in Germany - the Techs think Win8 is to unsafe to use so they stuck with Win7 instead. If Windows 10 is the same as Windows 8 on that issue, i'll skip Win10 and use Linux after 2020 (Win7 end of support date) At least most Linux distros value your privacy, except Ubuntu. Remember the Amazon search integration? That ruined privacy for Ubuntu.

This link tells of the nsa integration as well as other security threats by nsa
http://bgr.com/2013/08/21/microsoft-windows-8-nsa-back-door/

Dedicated Windows 95 Aficionado for good reasons:
http://toastytech.com/evil/setup.html

Reply 88 of 228, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The NSA doesn't need backdoors to access your computer. As long as as an average person is sitting in front of it, it may as well be wide open. Doesn't matter if it's the NSA or a kid in a basement somewhere. If the german goverment really cared they'd get the source code from MS the same as the russians did. Instead sounds like they just don't want to spend any money on new software which is fine but don't lie about it.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 90 of 228, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Amazingly, no one ever brings up the two reasons why I turn off automatic updates on all of my main systems.

1. I want CONTROL over when my updates happen. If an update interrupts something I'm doing, it completely throws me off and now I'm distracted and less productive. Not to mention, I don't want critical updates starting moments before a thunderstorm hits, especially since when you go to shut down it may take far longer to do so as it does more update stuff. :P

2. Updates occasionally cause major issues. I'd rather wait at least a week or two to make sure nothing's in the news about certain updates, THEN apply them. :B

On a related note, I've seriously been considering replacing Avast with something else because it not only has been popping up ads far more often than it once did, but whenever there's a major program update, which isn't often thankfully, it completely disregards your update settings and automatically updates itself, which completely disables its virus protection functions until you reboot the computer! Not pleasant if you're in the middle of something you can't interrupt. >_<;

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 91 of 228, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gemini000 wrote:

On a related note, I've seriously been considering replacing Avast with something else because it not only has been popping up ads far more often than it once did, but whenever there's a major program update, which isn't often thankfully, it completely disregards your update settings and automatically updates itself, which completely disables its virus protection functions until you reboot the computer! Not pleasant if you're in the middle of something you can't interrupt. >_<;

Avast 4.8.1229 doesn't do any of this.

Reply 92 of 228, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jwt27 wrote:

Avast 4.8.1229 doesn't do any of this.

Maybe so, but I'd be weary about using a heuristics and detection system six major versions out of date, even if the new definition files still work with it. >_>;

...presuming such an old version even worked on Windows 8.1 Pro. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 94 of 228, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gemini000 wrote:

Maybe so, but I'd be weary about using a heuristics and detection system six major versions out of date, even if the new definition files still work with it. >_>;

If the alternative is a bloated adware program running in ring 0, I'd rather have no virus scanner at all 😀

Reply 95 of 228, by Tiger433

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I used Avast and I have much problems, older games like Diablo 2 and UT99 run normally at second time, at first I see nothing and I must end game process, like Avast blocked some files of Kadu or Libreoffice, slowdown my main pc with Pentium Dual Core E2180 with 2GB ram, so i changed to AVG and I have no more problems with anything and my pc run more smooth, I use 7 and I never change to 10, because I don`t like his startmenu and his privacy settings from 10 and rest of options. DX12 is nothing to me because I have old DX10 videocard and I don`t change because all my pc is enough for me for everything.

W7 "retro" PC: ASUS P8H77-V, Intel i3 3240, 8 GB DDR3 1333, HD6850, 2 x 500 GB HDD
Retro 98SE PC: MSI MS-6511, AMD Athlon XP 2000+, 512 MB RAM, ATI Rage 128, 80GB HDD
My Youtube channel

Reply 96 of 228, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jwt27 wrote:
Gemini000 wrote:

If the alternative is a bloated adware program running in ring 0, I'd rather have no virus scanner at all 😀

Well, Windows has had virus/malware scanning built in since Windows 7 (Windows Defender), and available as a free installer for XP/Vista (Microsoft Security Essentials).
I just keep those up-to-date, since they're not as intrusive as most other solutions, which tend to kill your computer's performance and cause issues with certain software and/or drivers.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 97 of 228, by Tiger433

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

And Avast use all ram and almost stopped my computer by using 1,5-1,8 of my 2gb ram when I downloading Baldurs Gate by GoG Galaxy and Avast repeat that after minute and use very much hardisk also. That Defender can defend computer of viruses ?

W7 "retro" PC: ASUS P8H77-V, Intel i3 3240, 8 GB DDR3 1333, HD6850, 2 x 500 GB HDD
Retro 98SE PC: MSI MS-6511, AMD Athlon XP 2000+, 512 MB RAM, ATI Rage 128, 80GB HDD
My Youtube channel

Reply 98 of 228, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Scali wrote:

Well, Windows has had virus/malware scanning built in since Windows 7 (Windows Defender), and available as a free installer for XP/Vista (Microsoft Security Essentials).
I just keep those up-to-date, since they're not as intrusive as most other solutions, which tend to kill your computer's performance and cause issues with certain software and/or drivers.

Actually, Windows Defender is included since Vista. In fact, in post-Vista editions some of its built-in functionality was removed, as it was thought that Microsoft Security Essentials, the more complete solution, will fully replace it. The Windows 8 version basically re-integrated MSE's standalone capabilities and renamed it once again to Windows Defender. Confusing, yes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Defender

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 99 of 228, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Scali wrote:

Security Essentials user here for years and never had a problem. I can say honestly that I trust Microsoft with my meager and very boring online existence. You folks who are concerned about NSA back doors, etc need to take a step back and reassess your relative importance in the scheme of things.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.