VOGONS

Any of you on Windows 10?

Topic actions

Reply 180 of 228, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Its like some people WANT Windows 10 to fail. Just let MS have this one win, okay? They got enough bashing for the bipolar unpolished UI from Windows 8 already.

Btw I like UEFI on my newer PCs (but it bugs me that my ASUS boards love making the screen blank before showing their logo again to start Windows, I had an h61 Intel board did not do that). I really doubt legacy BIOS will go away anytime soon, though. My modern-ish GTX 760 does not have UEFI firmware, so it needs legacy support to work, my 980, on the other hand, seems to have it.

Reply 181 of 228, by calvin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My DQ45CB board has it, and it has... quirks with AHCI. It was an early implementation though. Let them mature, and it'll be even better than BIOS.

2xP2 450, 512 MB SDR, GeForce DDR, Asus P2B-D, Windows 2000
P3 866, 512 MB RDRAM, Radeon X1650, Dell Dimension XPS B866, Windows 7
M2 @ 250 MHz, 64 MB SDE, SiS5598, Compaq Presario 2286, Windows 98

Reply 182 of 228, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I MIGHT upgrade if DX12 is any good, but as it currently stands, I have no plans to "upgrade" to Windows 10. Win7 serves me just fine.

Reply 183 of 228, by Godlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PeterLI wrote:

I will probably skip it. Windows 7 is the new XP. 🤣

Same to me 😀

5xv2YSm.png
ASUS P2B-F, PII 450Mhz, 128MB-SDR, 3Dfx Diamond Monster 3D II SLI, Matrox Millennium II AGP, Diamond Monster Sound MX300

Reply 184 of 228, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am pretty satisfied with w10 so far. You just need to be patient and patch it a lot... xD

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 185 of 228, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't really have a choice, since I want to develop DX12 code. But so far it's been quite decent. Perhaps not yet as rock-solid as Win8.1 so far, but nothing major.

I really do think Win7 is the new XP, because what happened with WinXP was that a lot of people had no idea about Vista, not the good parts either. So when they finally upgraded to Win7, they were amazed by all sorts of things that weren't new to Win7, but had been in Vista as well (such as IO prioritization).
What I see happening now is that people are still on Win7, and have no idea about Win8.x, which is more lightweight and boots a lot faster, especially on UEFI systems. So when they finally upgrade to Win10, they are impressed by this... But the joke's on them, because they could have had this for years already.
I've upgraded two old laptops from Win7 to Win10, and they run better now. Might get a few more years of life out of them. One of them is my mom's, which was getting rather slow with Win7. I told her that if she were to buy a new laptop, she'd get Win10 on it anyway, so we might as well put it on the old one and get used to it like that, it got the free upgrade anyway. It seems to work okay for her. It certainly is quite a bit faster (both Win7 and Win10 are the x64 version. It's an old Pentium DualCore (budget Core2 Duo) 2.2 GHz system with 3 GHz and a slow HDD).

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 186 of 228, by yuhong

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Scali wrote:

The whole problem here is that we've had UEFI for many years, and Windows 7 didn't support it.
Windows 7 is horribly outdated. With Windows 8 we finally had proper UEFI support in the OS, so booting became a lot more modern and streamlined.
I don't find it strange that the latest hardware doesn't bother with that crappy old legacy BIOS stuff anymore. Why would you even want to run Windows 7 on the latest hardware anyway? (please think before you answer anything related to some irrelevant differences in the UI).

Win7 and even Vista SP1 does have some support for UEFI, but it is not as good as Win8's support.

Reply 187 of 228, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Apparently the "spy update" is coming to Windows 7 and 8? Microsoft doesn't seem to fail at this foot shooting thing.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 188 of 228, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

Apparently the "spy update" is coming to Windows 7 and 8? Microsoft doesn't seem to fail at this foot shooting thing.

Yep, disabled win7 updates because of it. Hopefully its not already on there.

Main: AMD FX 6300 six core 3.5ghz (OC 4ghz)
16gb DDR3, Nvidia Geforce GT740 4gb Gfx card, running Win7 Ultimate x64
Linux: AMD Athlon 64 4000+, 1.5GB DDR, Nvidia Quadro FX1700 running Debian Jessie 8.4.0

Reply 189 of 228, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is a list of updates I'm currently avoiding to keep my Win7 system clean:

KB2505438
KB2952664
KB2976978
KB2990214
KB3021917
KB3022345
KB3035583
KB3050265
KB3068708
KB3075249
KB3080149

Anybody got any others to add to the list?

Reply 190 of 228, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Take a look at this shit;
http://www.redferret.net/?p=18686
So MS is pushing out an update to mess with pirated windows. I'm thinking they want everyone to upgrade to "free" win10 (even pirates) for a bigger plan...
Anyway, Its a good thing I disabled windows updates last week like I said earlier. I wouldn't pay an effing dime for MS's shitty OS (and it's a good thing I never had)

Linux: AMD Athlon 64 4000+, 1.5GB DDR, Nvidia Quadro FX1700 running Debian Jessie 8.4.0

Reply 191 of 228, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
KT7AGuy wrote:

Maybe jam a rabbits foot into one of your USB ports for good measure. You can try garlic too but I'm not sure if that works on Microsoft, I might be thinking of Nosferatu.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 192 of 228, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ahendricks18 wrote:

So MS is pushing out an update to mess with pirated windows. I'm thinking they want everyone to upgrade to "free" win10 (even pirates) for a bigger plan...
Anyway, Its a good thing I disabled windows updates last week like I said earlier. I wouldn't pay an effing dime for MS's shitty OS (and it's a good thing I never had)

The 'bigger plan' is to make money; it always has been. It's not a conspiracy, it's business.

Here you are pirating MS's OS - bragging about the fact - and in the same sentence you go on to complain about the quality of it? For reals?

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 193 of 228, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bragging? I wouldn't say so. I was quite satisfied with windows, up until 10. I used just about every other version, save for ME or 2k. I have bought actual licenses too, BTW.

Reply 194 of 228, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:

Maybe jam a rabbits foot into one of your USB ports for good measure.

Apparently, such a thing actually exists.

badmojo wrote:

You can try garlic too but I'm not sure if that works on Microsoft, I might be thinking of Nosferatu.

I'm pretty sure they won't be happy until you're willing to undergo a full background check and TSA-style screening in exchange for the latest version of solitaire. 🤣

In all seriousness though, keeping your system at Win7 and GWX-free is legit. Until I am perfectly satisfied with Win10, it will remain on test machines or otherwise. Even then, I'm not quite sure I want to sacrifice my retail Win7 key for the "free" Win10 upgrade.

I'm still trying to figure out what > 75 million people are getting in exchange for their privacy that they weren't already getting with Win7/Win8. It couldn't possibly be the nagware that prompted them to upgrade, right? People couldn't possibly be upgrading just because they got a little notification for it in their systrays, right? Surely they weighed the pros/cons of such an upgrade before committing. There's no way that MS could have learned this shtick from any other company, right?

aol_s397m4_diskjpg.jpeg
Oh, wait... 😒

If you aren't a paying customer, then you're the product. Facebook and Google learned this business model more than five years ago. MS is just playing catch-up at this point.

Reply 195 of 228, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ahendricks18 wrote:
Take a look at this shit; http://www.redferret.net/?p=18686 So MS is pushing out an update to mess with pirated windows. I'm t […]
Show full quote

Take a look at this shit;
http://www.redferret.net/?p=18686

Isn't that particular update (KB971033) from 2012? I'm definitely disturbed by all the sh!tty "updates" lately. I may end up going back to Linux, at least for my Internet-connected PC. And then just keep my Windoze PC unplugged from the net for gaming only.

WIP: 486DX2/66, 16MB FastPage RAM, TsengLabs ET4000 VLB
Check out my Retro-Ghetto build (2016 Update) 😀
Commodore 128D, iBook G3 "Clamshell"
3DO M2, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, NES, SNES, N64, GBC

Reply 196 of 228, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
KT7AGuy wrote:
This is a list of updates I'm currently avoiding to keep my Win7 system clean: […]
Show full quote

This is a list of updates I'm currently avoiding to keep my Win7 system clean:

KB2505438
KB2952664
KB2976978
KB2990214
KB3021917
KB3022345
KB3035583
KB3050265
KB3068708
KB3075249
KB3080149

You know that most (if not all) of those relate specifically to the CEIP, which you are free to opt out of.

Nobody has yet presented any compelling evidence to the contrary.

The closest thing so far is that one Czech blog that every news source is linking back to directly or indirectly. (Their advertising impressions must be skyrocketing!) And the extent of their evidence is "We captured this with a program." without any screenies, logs, capture files, anything. They have a list of hostnames. Whoop de doo.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 197 of 228, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, I know that in Win7 I'm still free to opt out of the CEIP. KB3035583 is the big bad GWX update. I still prefer not to install those other updates

Fortunately, MS is only offering these up as optional updates. Diligent Win7 users will be able to avoid any updates they prefer not to install. I posted my list of updates I wish to avoid. Some may agree with it, others may disagree. While running Win7, we are all still free to say "no, thank you". Win10 users no longer have that choice.

To the Win7 users who are freaking out lately: Don't install the GWX and CEIP/Telemetry updates. Problem solved! It's really that simple! I've even listed them all for you. You still have the power of choice and nobody is holding a gun to your head.

Eventually, I'm sure that some hackers will come up with ways of disabling the forced updates and telemetry in Win10. When that happens, I will consider putting it on my main desktop PC. Until then, I'm sticking with Win7 and eyeballing Linux as a potential replacement.

I don't buy Microsoft's claims that the forced updates and telemetry stuff are absolutely necessary. We've had them disabled for the last 20 years and have somehow been able to function without them. I highly doubt that Win10 is something so special as to require this stuff. There's no reason for them to make this stuff mandatory and the excuses are lame.

Reply 198 of 228, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The real issues lie in all the users out there who get automatic updates automatically installed.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 199 of 228, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Windows 10 will allegedly work differently than older versions, because MS will not rollout major upgrades anymore, but keep pushing them continuously. Basically:

MS creates an update -> Internal testing --a while later--> Windows Insider users on "Fast ring" --a while later--> "Slow ring" --a while later--> Normal home/Pro users --a while later--> Enterprise users

If not enough people are getting the updates in previous circles this model doesn't work, though I'm sure MS would have contingency measures as risking Enterprise users would be too problematic for them. On the other hand this also gives MS a bigger testing group, one more diverse than MS could reproduce themselves. Each group of users "filter" things out, sending MS info to ideally correct bugs before the update is released to the outer "layer" of the system. Btw Pro and Enterprise users can postpone updates, and I'm sure there is one edition of Windows that can postpone them as much as the user might want. I, for one, choose to trust what Microsoft is doing now. As far as privacy goes its not like Google doesn't monitor every search result you click on anyway, regardless of your OS or browser.