VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Evert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, I bought a brand new Fujitech AT form factor case with a 200W power supply. It's quite astonishing: it's never been used or opened and the white paint is still bright and shiny. I got it for $8. The problem is that I need to put some sort of computer in it. I already have a pretty nice Socket 7 PC (AMD K6-3+ 400 ATZ, 256Mb PC-100, AOpen AX59 Pro platform). Should I get another Socket 7 motherboard and build something like a Pentium MMX or should I be more adventurous and build a proper 486 PC?

sigpic2689_1.gif

Reply 1 of 10, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Pics or it didn't happen 🤣

I'd say build a 486 or 386! A 486 is more useful / flexible. 🤣

How did you get your hands on this case?

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 10, by Evert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Since I aim to please, here are some photos:

r93AWWDm.jpg
E3gMbpQm.jpg
mdgav47m.jpg
u3AozjDm.jpg
zkN9D4Mm.jpg

I got the case from a local auction. Guess some people just don't know the value of what they have.

Just out of curiosity, how exactly is a 486 more flexible? Can you disabled caches on it like on the Socket 7 platform and slow it down to 286/386 speeds?

sigpic2689_1.gif

Reply 3 of 10, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Very nice!

486 is more flexible in many ways. Yes, you can disable the cache in BIOS or through software. You also have a turbo button. Then you got a wide range of chips, from 25 MHz to 133 MHz and if you're into a bit of modding, you can mount switches to the front of the machine to change FSB and multiplier (on selected chips).

Last edited by PhilsComputerLab on 2015-09-05, 10:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 10, by Evert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Holy crap there are no words for how awesome that sounds! The case doesn't come with a turbo switch though, so I'm guessing I'll have to make one. How do I even begin to look for a 486 motherboard? eBay is a good guess, but what models are good and which aren't?

sigpic2689_1.gif

Reply 5 of 10, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have the exact same model of case, I bought mine new 1997 if I remember right. Its a great case as it supports both AT and ATX form factors which is kind of rare.

I would not do any modding to the case it self, if you want to add switches in the front, mod a 5,25" fan controller.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 6 of 10, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, or find a replacement bay cover. Another option is mounting the switches on a rear slot cover. You then have to reach around the back, but it's another option.

Skyscraper, when you say mod a fan controller, do have any details? I ran into this issue recently, didn't want to drill holes into the case and the bay covers are mesh type, so I didn't want to destroy them either.

Even better would be ready to drive bays with rocker switches.

EDIT: I do remember someone here having a time-machine and two coloured rocker switches in a drive bay. I looked for this image, but had no luck.

Reply 7 of 10, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

IMHO what you do depends on how the case of your S7 system looks. If it has a turbo button and/or looks more retro, I'd swap your S7 system to this case and then assemble the 486 or below on your older case.

Reply 8 of 10, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
philscomputerlab wrote:
Yes, or find a replacement bay cover. Another option is mounting the switches on a rear slot cover. You then have to reach aroun […]
Show full quote

Yes, or find a replacement bay cover. Another option is mounting the switches on a rear slot cover. You then have to reach around the back, but it's another option.

Skyscraper, when you say mod a fan controller, do have any details? I ran into this issue recently, didn't want to drill holes into the case and the bay covers are mesh type, so I didn't want to destroy them either.

Even better would be ready to drive bays with rocker switches.

EDIT: I do remember someone here having a time-machine and two coloured rocker switches in a drive bay. I looked for this image, but had no luck.

I have an old 5.25" fan controller somewhere with alot of empty platsic perfect for drilling holes, that way there is no need for destroying the original drive bay covers on a new case in perfect condition.

Another good option is a converter meant for putting a 3.5" floppy drive in a 5.25" drive bay. lots of empty plastic on those and if you also use it for the floppy drive it dosnt look wierd.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 9 of 10, by Evert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
alexanrs wrote:

IMHO what you do depends on how the case of your S7 system looks. If it has a turbo button and/or looks more retro, I'd swap your S7 system to this case and then assemble the 486 or below on your older case.

Well, my SS7 system is currently built in a Cooler Master K380 Case (which you will see is a bottom-mounted PSU modern case).

After reading the comments here, I feel somewhat conflicted. I can understand how having the turbo switches and multiplier switches can be handy, but the case is really pristine and I would like to keep it as original as possible. Aesthetically, I think SPDT switches on a PCI Bracket will probably work better.

sigpic2689_1.gif

Reply 10 of 10, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Skyscraper wrote:

Another good option is a converter meant for putting a 3.5" floppy drive in a 5.25" drive bay. lots of empty plastic on those and if you also use it for the floppy drive it dosnt look wierd.

That is an excellent idea!

The CF bay device I use is 3.5" and in a 5.25" adapter. It has space on the sides, perfect for mounting a switch or button on either side. That made my day, I was pondering over a, for me, easy solution for days 🤣