VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One of the first games I remember playing on the PC way back in the day. A true classic!
http://www.pcgamer.com/day-of-the-tentacle-re … shots-revealed/

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 3 of 13, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One of the best adventure games ever created, a game in the small group of those that define the genre. I don't have any objections and I won't judge graphics etc as long as it doesn't change the game itself.

Reply 4 of 13, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
F2bnp wrote:

Not a big fan of how this looks. It's as if someone used a HQ filter and blew the game up to 1080p.

I have to agree.
You could probably get the same results form SCUMMVM.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 5 of 13, by GoblinUpTheRoad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Pretty silly really, DOTT was a nice looking game in it's original form, doesn't need any enhancements.

I wish they would stop remastering the classics and start making some new games instead, like a DOTT sequal maybe...

Reply 7 of 13, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
philscomputerlab wrote:

You can toggle between old and new graphics.

But that's not really the point.
If you look at the Monkey Island remakes, the graphics were actually redrawn in higher detail while keeping true to the style of the game. This DOTT remake just looks like they've scaled the graphics and applied a filter.
(They also added speech to the Monkey Island remakes, which doesn't really apply to DOTT as it had speech with the original release).

I hate to be negative but this really just seems like double-fine is looking to ride the nostalgia wave for an easy cash in.
Maybe the final release will have some surprises... time will tell.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 8 of 13, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Fair enough, I'm looking forward to it being released. Would love to see a remastered version of Fate of Atlantis though.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 9 of 13, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Looking forward to it. I never had it, but a friend used to have it and used to go round his and watch it. Might pick this up 😀

Cyrix Instead Build, 6x86 166+ | 32mb SD | 4mb S3 Virge DX | Creative AWE64 | Win95
ATC-S PIII Tualatin Win9x Build :- ATC-S PIII Coppermine Win9x Build Log [WIP] **Photo Heavy**

Reply 10 of 13, by Beegle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
philscomputerlab wrote:

Would love to see a remastered version of Fate of Atlantis though.

This.

The more sound cards, the better.
AdLib documentary : Official Thread
Youtube Channel : The Sound Card Database

Reply 11 of 13, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DonutKing wrote:
But that's not really the point. If you look at the Monkey Island remakes, the graphics were actually redrawn in higher detail w […]
Show full quote
philscomputerlab wrote:

You can toggle between old and new graphics.

But that's not really the point.
If you look at the Monkey Island remakes, the graphics were actually redrawn in higher detail while keeping true to the style of the game. This DOTT remake just looks like they've scaled the graphics and applied a filter.
(They also added speech to the Monkey Island remakes, which doesn't really apply to DOTT as it had speech with the original release).

I hate to be negative but this really just seems like double-fine is looking to ride the nostalgia wave for an easy cash in.
Maybe the final release will have some surprises... time will tell.

We'll see. The graphics are indeed re-drawn, maybe they look better in action? Hopefully, they got an assortment of extras such as commentary which will really appeal to old fans. Plus, I'm sure they've recorded the soundtrack and probably redone the voices (this could be bad though 🙁 ).

Reply 12 of 13, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I really don't get the distaste for the remastered art. Like, what else would you expect? It's a cel-shaded cartoon game. It's going to look the same save for the absence of large pixels. I think the original art is fine, but it's nice to see the game in the way Tim always imagined it looking in his head. It's just going to appease the new players anyway. Nobody is going to play a 320x200 game or pay full price for it in today's community of gamers.

Also, there are other things to look forward to like developer commentaries and other bonus extras. There's the completely rerecorded digital soundtrack, as well. That's the big thing I'm really waiting for.

The voices are not redone, they recovered the original recordings in high fidelity.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 13 of 13, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MusicallyInspired wrote:

I really don't get the distaste for the remastered art. Like, what else would you expect? It's a cel-shaded cartoon game. It's going to look the same save for the absence of large pixels. I think the original art is fine, but it's nice to see the game in the way Tim always imagined it looking in his head. It's just going to appease the new players anyway. Nobody is going to play a 320x200 game or pay full price for it in today's community of gamers.

Also, there are other things to look forward to like developer commentaries and other bonus extras. There's the completely rerecorded digital soundtrack, as well. That's the big thing I'm really waiting for.

The voices are not redone, they recovered the original recordings in high fidelity.

My problem with the remastered art is that it tries to replicate the original to a fault. I feel like there should be added detail and not this glossy kind of look. It kind of reminds me of those DragonBall Z Blu-Rays. I'd really like to see how it all ends up though, before passing judgement.

Really happy to hear that the original recordings were recovered. Did they announce this recently?