VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry about the misleading topic.

I "bought" some Fallout games (when it was free on GoG), but haven't played them yet. I started playing them last week, and I was suprised that in Fallout 1 and Fallout 2 manual are included some recipes.

The question: what games included some real world recipes? I mean, "mushroom clouds" from Fallout 1 can qualify as a real world recipe (it has readily available ingredients and can be cooked without problems), but the cake recipe on Portal not (not available ingredients unless you're into chemistry, and I guess its not edible). I remember that there was some recipes on Deus Ex, too.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 4 of 7, by CapnCrunch53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, in the Path of the Shell expansion for Uru: Ages Beyond Myst, there is an easter egg which gives the recipe for "D'nied Eggs", D'ni being the name of an ancient city/culture in the Myst lore.

PCs, Macs, old and new... too much stuff.

Reply 5 of 7, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brassicGamer wrote:

Loads of roadkill recipes on World of Warcraft.

I don't remember they were "recipes", but lists of ingredients to make in-game objects. As I said, I'm looking for edible/cookable recipes in the real world.

As I said, this is the "Mushroom Clouds" from Fallout 1:

(preheat oven to 200 degrees Fahrenheit) […]
Show full quote

(preheat oven to 200 degrees Fahrenheit)

* 3-4 egg whites (at room temperature)
* 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
* 8 oz dark chocolate (bittersweet or semi-sweet)
* 1 cup superfine sugar*
* cocoa

Beat the eggs and tartar with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Add the sugar a little at a time while continuing to beat, until all the sugar is in and the mixture is glossy and stiff.

Using a piping bag with a no. 8 tip, pipe out an equal number of caps and stems onto an ungreased non-stick cookie sheet. The caps should be about the diameter of a quarter, and the stems should be about an inch high and the diameter of a soda straw.

Sprinkle cocoa over the caps and stems, and then blow on them to spread out the cocoa more evenly. You may want to do this outside, as cocoa goes everywhere. Bake for 2 hours at 200 degrees.

Carefully remove the caps and stems from the cookie sheet. With a dull knife, snip the top of each stem so it has a flat top surface. Melt the chocolate (in a double boiler or microwave).

Spread the chocolate on the base of each cap with a butter knife or spatula, and use it to glue a stem in place. Put the assembled mushrooms in the refrigerator for 20 minutes to harden the chocolate, then put them in an airtight container.

This recipe can be found on the manual of Fallout 1. It seems cookable, edible and it has readily available ingredients.

AFAIK, warcraft recipes were more like "raw meat + sauce = hunter steak" or the like (sorry, it's been more than a year that I left WoW).

I was looking for more game recipes for the real world.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 6 of 7, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Zup wrote:

I was looking for more game recipes for the real world.

Ahhhh... that kind of recipe. I'm so used to cooking whatever is in my cupboards that a list or combination of ingredients, for me, constitutes a 'recipe'. I guess there aren't that many actual recipes in games then.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.