VOGONS

How many computers could you possibly build?

Topic actions

First post, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

if you only had all your current parts available to you?

It doesn't matter if the parts don't match up too well (like if you happen to have relatively few harddrives compared to the rest of your available parts so you'd have to use much smaller harddrives then you'd like), as long as it's a complete system (so no complete computers on the floor without a case 😜).

But of course it's ok to share any details about how this would work out for you 😁

One more note: You don't have to have a monitor available for every single system because in the end it's your personal collection and I figure most people won't be using all of their rigs at the same time anyway 😁 (unless you feel like sponsoring your local electrical company 🤣 ).

I'll start:
First, I haven't done a complete and comprehensive count (past midnight, need to go to bed, etc) so I'll have to guess for a bit (will do a count later if this thread starts picking up speed), but I'd think I'd be bottlenecked by either a lack of computer cases or a lack of good-enough PSU's.
Harddrives I should have enough, but I might end up with sub-1GB drives for systems with MMX chips and such.

With all my current parts (and provided they still function) I estimate I could build around 50 complete systems (all of them towers). Slightly over 20 would have to be AT tower systems and the remainders I'd use ATX (Got plenty ATX mainboards. No BTX cases here and no proprietary ones either, I tossed all those) of which maybe 10 or 15 would have to utilize a micro-ATX mainboard. Sound cards, graphics cards and especially CPU's and HSF's are well represented here, but I might have to use slower parts (both CPU's and especially graphics cards) as I might end up not having enough powerful enough PSU's to go around. I have few sound cards that were made after the live! cards, but most mainboards made after that time period should have onboard sound anyway and I can live with that. I got plenty ISA sound cards (but nothing very special) so I wouldn't have to worry about that.

Optical drives, floppy drives, HSF's and cables should be plentiful also. For OS I'd use MS products, got everything from DOS, Win 3.something, several 95's, several 98's and SE's, ME, NT's, 2k's and XP's to go around. Memory modules I'm also well stocked, but I'd have to compromise as my stash of larger modules is somewhat limited (plenty SDRAM, but only a few 1GB DDR and not a whole lot of 32MB 72p SIMM modules and my weirdo 64MB 72p SIMM modules came out of some server board that I don't have and won't run stable in the other boards. I do have some 16MB 30p but hardly any boards to put them in 🤣 ).

So in short: Slightly over 20 AT systems and slightly under 30 ATX systems, all towers.
Did I miss anything?

So how many computers could you build? Remember you can only use parts that you have at your disposal right now. Be creative 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 1 of 20, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

I figure most people won't be using all of their rigs at the same time anyway 😁 (unless you feel like sponsoring your local electrical company 🤣 ).

Actually I use computers to heat my house in the winter. I don't even turn on the furnace.
The place is well insulated and we have mild winters so it works out pretty well.

My limitations would be cases followed by PSUs followed by RAM.
If cases and PSUs were not an issue somewhere around 150, maybe even 200.
They would have to have minimal RAM to stretch it that far.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 2 of 20, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If I had a case and an AMD Duron (or similarly socketed) CPU, I could build one more computer with parts already on hand, as those would be the only things I'd be missing. I have an old motherboard stashed away somewhere which was made specifically for AMD Duron and compatible CPUs, a Riva TNT2 PCI video card with a surprisingly large amount of video RAM, as it was one of the last TNT2 cards ever produced, and I have a plethora of old mice and keyboards, all of which work but not well.

I also have a spare 21.5" widescreen LED monitor as well which I got NIB for dirt-cheap due to a clearance sale a couple years back, so I can even cover that base. ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 3 of 20, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Just one, based on my Asus CUSL2-C motherboard; needs an ATX case and floppy drive (the Asus board also needs a recap), everything else I already have on hand - two S370 Pentium III CPUs w/coolers, my choice of video/sound/memory/HDD/DVD-ROM, cables, case fans, ATX PSU and even a USB2 card. And since I usually have only one PC running I share the same keyboard, mouse, monitor and PC speakers (I do have spares, but I only use them for a very specific task).

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 4 of 20, by stuvize

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I could do at least 33 before I ran out of good cases mostly ATX a few ATs and some older proprietary designs even a 1980s Zenith data systems AT variant, have had a lot over the past ten years at least 400 most of them were good either got scraped or had the parts sold

Reply 5 of 20, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I gave a few systems away recently, so I am down to 9. 10 counting the one in my trunk waiting to find a new home with a friend. If I had a few more empty cases it would be far more, like 20 maybe.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 6 of 20, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm limited either by PSUs or cases. Not sure about the PSU count. As far as cases, by my count I have enough for 22 computers. I can't believe it's that many. Only about half of those are conventional cases though.
2 EATX
5 ATX
2 MicroATX
2 Baby AT
1 LPX Compaq - I'd have to rig up a PSU that doesn't fit properly, but I think I could do it without buying anything.
4 proprietary cases with working parts - plus another that doesn't have a working PSU so it doesn't count.
2 Macs (G3/G4) - it'll be desperate times indeed. Guess I can install linux though.
2 working laptops
1 Sony PS2 with a hard drive mod, it can be used as a computer, only "useful" function is an obsolete web browser from the days of real HTML
1 Apple IIc - yes it works, 8-bit 5V lead soldered DIP chip computers never break

Out of cases? But I still have cardboard boxes and scissors.

Reply 7 of 20, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

At the moment none, due to lack of any spare cases. Next limit will be PSUs, which I have only three older ATX (with -5 volt) types. Next limit will be motherboards. I have a working Tekram slot 1 board, two Asus socket 754 boards, one moody Asus 939 board, two Gigabyte socket 370 boards with problems (none working floppy controller, etc), and a probably broken Gigabyte socket A board. I will most probably never have any lack of HDDs, controllers, NICs, memory, CPUs, and display adapters for the seven boards I mentioned above. Have only three 3.5" floppies and only two optical drives as spares though.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 8 of 20, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gemini000 wrote:

If I had a case and an AMD Duron (or similarly socketed) CPU, I could build one more computer with parts already on hand, as those would be the only things I'd be missing. I have an old motherboard stashed away somewhere which was made specifically for AMD Duron and compatible CPUs, a Riva TNT2 PCI video card with a surprisingly large amount of video RAM, as it was one of the last TNT2 cards ever produced, and I have a plethora of old mice and keyboards, all of which work but not well.

I also have a spare 21.5" widescreen LED monitor as well which I got NIB for dirt-cheap due to a clearance sale a couple years back, so I can even cover that base. 😉

Oh, I forgot about the keyboards 🤣!

With keyboards counted (and mouses also I think), that would significantly trim my maximum number of rigs to around 10 (maybe 15 at the very most). But I'd probably stack as many cases on top of eachother as possible (one at every single monitor) and use just a single keyboard + mouse for each pile.

Interesting to see that PSU's seem to be as much as a bottleneck as cases are.

PCBONEZ wrote:
Actually I use computers to heat my house in the winter. I don't even turn on the furnace. The place is well insulated and we ha […]
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote:

I figure most people won't be using all of their rigs at the same time anyway 😁 (unless you feel like sponsoring your local electrical company 🤣 ).

Actually I use computers to heat my house in the winter. I don't even turn on the furnace.
The place is well insulated and we have mild winters so it works out pretty well.

My limitations would be cases followed by PSUs followed by RAM.
If cases and PSUs were not an issue somewhere around 150, maybe even 200.
They would have to have minimal RAM to stretch it that far.

150 is really a lot! Where do you keep all of it? 😁
Without cases, I'd still max out at around 100 (and that is really stretching it, and provided all the stuff is in working condition) as last time I counted, I had slightly over 100 motherboards, slightly over 100 graphics cards and over 300 CPU's. RAM would be a similar issue and I'd have to cram as many smaller modules onto every board without it getting unstable. I don't even know if I have 100 harddrives, but many of those are less than 1GB.

Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 20, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

Oh, I forgot about the keyboards 🤣!

With keyboards counted (and mouses also I think), that would significantly trim my maximum number of rigs to around 10 (maybe 15 at the very most). But I'd probably stack as many cases on top of eachother as possible (one at every single monitor) and use just a single keyboard + mouse for each pile.

Interesting to see that PSU's seem to be as much as a bottleneck as cases are.

Wouldn't worry about input devices, as KVMs are probably common for most of us I would have thought? have two here and plan for more 😀

currently have six cases so that limits my builds but many more parts, would be close to 80 computers' worth (on top of the 60 built machines). presently developing a hatred of cables - especially power, IDE and parallel - they multiply overnight it seems and are unsightly!

Reply 10 of 20, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

150 is really a lot! Where do you keep all of it? 😁

I've been rebuilding motherboards (mostly recapping) for a second income (on top of my pension) for the last 10+ years.
I also snap up good deals for later resale when I come across them. I've purchased as many as 36 boards in one order.
And then sometimes I buy boards that won't boot just to see if I can fix them. (A challenge.)
I also do (did) a little bit in the way of building servers for small businesses. 1/3 to 1/2 of my boards are dual Xeon server boards.
HDDs I usually buy in lots of 5, 10 or 20 to keep the per-each cost down. Quite sure I have 150 around.
- I have a big storeroom behind the house.

Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 11 of 20, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good question 😀

If I don't count peripherals, PSUs and cases, of which I have limited stock, I could build:

XT
2x 286-10 (both with co-pros 😎)
a 386SX/387SX-40
a 386DX/4C87DLC-40
a 486DX2 VLB
a 486DX4 PCI
5x K5 or Pentium-class machines
3x Slot 1 machines
a Tualatin (nothing fancy though)
a Socket A rig

So that's 16 complete sets of hardware to play with. I only have free cases for 4 AT and 1 ATX systems though.

Reply 12 of 20, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think I have parts for at least 50 complete systems (not so many cases though) from 286 up to Athlon64. Still thinking of doing some cataloging/inventory of things... but never find the time and always search through boxes when I need something 🤣

In THE end I hope to have these complete systems (nearly there for most):

- 286 MAX (hope to get to 25MHz)
- 386DX-40
- 486SLC-33 ISA
- 486DLC-40 VLB
- 486DX4 PCI MAX (hope at least 180MHz)
- SS7 Pentium 233MMX MAX (hope at least 315MHz)
- SS7 K6-3+ 400 MAX (hope 600MHz)
- P-III 1GHz
- P-III Tualatin 1.4GHz
- P-IV 3.2GHz (Asrock AGP/PCIe)
- Athlon XP-M (from 400 to 2.2GHz) on Abit KT7A
- Athlon64 3800+ (Asrock AGP/PCIe)

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 13 of 20, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cases cases, prefebli smaller AT and ATX desktop cases, because i have many 486 to Pentium III era matherboards, ISA sound cards and all else to make computers. Even multitude of AT and ATX power suplies. Put no worries, i put one 486 computer in dvd player case. And now i just finishing a Pentium III 800 computer, that resides in a VCR case. Pictures are coming soon. But i think 6 486 era, 8 Pentium era, and 10 Pentium II/III era computers. I am a DOS nostalgia freak, so i do not need newer machines, the do not add anithing to DOS. And 8088 286 and 386 era, i really do not need, i can run allmost all this stuff on my undercloked 486, disable cache, and 486@8MHz with unofficial motherboard jumper settings.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 14 of 20, by saturn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

0, none, nothing. I been trying to get rid of all my older stuff that I don't use. all I have left are a few opl3 cards and some 3dfx stuff.

Reply 15 of 20, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I could build 50 - 75 complete systems with cases and PSUs but I "only" own ~20 monitors.

If it wasnt for cases and PSUs the number of computers I could build would be twice as high. I own loads of Socket-3, Socket-7 and Slot-1 motherboards but I also have lots of newer gear, for example I have everything needed to put together 10+ complete Socket-1366 systems, 4 of them are dual CPU machines.

I have a feeling I would have collected even more gear if I owned a house with a basement as my apartment limits my hoarding 😉.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 16 of 20, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tetrium bro, how do you manage to accumulate so many parts? I couldnt do even 1 pc atm. I only buy what i need and its in 7 towers.

Reply 17 of 20, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sgt76 wrote:

Tetrium bro, how do you manage to accumulate so many parts? I couldnt do even 1 pc atm. I only buy what i need and its in 7 towers.

This might be a fun idea for another topic hehe 😁
Long story, but I did need 10 years to accumulate all the stuff I have now (I tossed out some stuff from time to time, but most of it was broken).
But I have to say that the limits of my storage space is reaching it's practical limit for me, so don't expect me to get another 50 cases any time soon...or any time at all for that matter 🤣.

Report spammers here!

Reply 18 of 20, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

But I have to say that the limits of my storage space is reaching it's practical limit for me

I'm there too. I really need to get off my butt and start unloading things.

Reply 19 of 20, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, I just figured out why my storage space has been so cramped lately.

I counted the one part of every system that always uses the most space, which is of course the case itself.

AT cases: 25 (most are the standard smallish AT towers, 2 are a little bit larger (3 5.25in external bays instead of just 2) and one is full height...I mean it's really high, it seems like almost 2 minitowers welded together 🤣

µATX cases: Only 5 that seem somewhat useful (most are Packard Bell cases which tend to need a bit more work to use with other hardware)
ATX cases: 54, most are beige and around 12 or so are a different color (mostly black or silver)

Well, with 84 tower cases, now it's a lot more obvious to me why storage space has become so cramped 🤣! I thought I would have about 50, but I guess I thought wrong. Not that I mind too much though, most are stacked inside the attic and theres a little bit room left where I could still cram a couple more, but at least this latest count would mean that I could possibly build 25 AT systems and 59 ATX systems.

Report spammers here!