Talk about overkill.

Topic actions

First post, by saturn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I found this and just had to post it.
umhset_photo.jpg

Aplenty its enzotech Unicorn ram cooler, does anyone know of any ram that gets hot to the point this is needed? I know ddr2 can get warm when overclock but dang that's overkill.

Anyone have other overkill cooling and heatsinks photos they like to share?

Reply 1 of 17, by Roman78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well.. i have some memory coolers but they didn't fit on the mainboard with the scythe mugen cooler. Mine are a little bit smaller but much higher, have those in a box somewhere.

Just googled it, mine looks like these:

zura-148_zura_148_2g_800x800.jpg

Reply 2 of 17, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, those Unicorn things for RAM are just silly.

How about some actual datasheet info.
The first group is all Kingston KVR and the watts are given as the maximum
1Gb PC133 Registered is 10-11 watts/stick
1Gb DDR-400 is just under 4 watt/stick
1Gb DDR2-400 is just over 1 watt/stick
1Gb DDR2-800 is about 1.4 watt/stick
2Gb DDR3-1333 is just over 1 watt/stick
8Gb DDR3-1333 is just under 2.5 watt/stick

The following FBDIMM are Samsung
1Gb PC2-6400 FBDIMM can be 7.8-12.9 watts/stick (idle vs active)
2Gb PC2-6400 FBDIMM can be 9.3-16.4 watts/stick (idle vs active)

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 3 of 17, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Basically I don't think consumer grade RAM needs heatsinks at all and (especially with those fancy 'stylish' ones) they may actually hurt because they block airflow.

Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 4 of 17, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

From jwt27's "ultimate" 440BX machine thread:

The Thermalright HR-05-SLI

[build log] My attempt at building the "ultimate" 440BX machine.

A chipset cooler, probably meant for Nvidia nForce boards.

The Thermalright HR-03

[build log] My attempt at building the "ultimate" 440BX machine.

A passive GPU cooler for Nvidia and ATI video cards. As I said before, it's big enough to be used as an auxiliary oil cooler in a car. Look at the last pic for a size comparison 😈

If you want more craziness, look at the Thermalright products webpage:

http://www.thermalright.com/products.html

Enjoy! 😁

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 5 of 17, by saturn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PCBONEZ wrote:

Basically I don't think consumer grade RAM needs heatsinks at all and (especially with those fancy 'stylish' ones) they may actually hurt because they block airflow.

I 100% agree, unless your over clocking or have some special ram you don't need anything more then a srtip of metal or good air flow.

Reply 6 of 17, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I find these tall RAM cooler quite annoying as they often interfere with the CPU cooler. I prefer the very low profile RAM sticks to be honest.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 7 of 17, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
philscomputerlab wrote:

I find these tall RAM cooler quite annoying as they often interfere with the CPU cooler. I prefer the very low profile RAM sticks to be honest.

I agree with that.

I think what happens is people see server RAM with heatsinks and they think: "Oh goody. If I get RAM heatsinks my RAM will be heavy duty just like server RAM".
What they miss is that server RAM slots are normally spaced (estimating) 3 or 4 mm apart specifically to allow room for airflow between the heatsinks. (See attached pic).
But consumer boards tend to have some of the RAM slots smacked right up against each other like shown in the Opening Post pic. No room at all for airflow on one side.

Reply 8 of 17, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For some reason whenever I see consumer RAM for sale which have these enormous heatsinks mounted, that the manufacturer put them there because their modules won't even run well on their stock ratings or something 🤣!

And I had a bit of the same problem with the MUgen HSF, my RAM modules had to fit below that enormous thing 😁

And for some reason those very low profile modules don't appeal as much to my either 🤣

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 17, by saturn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PCBONEZ wrote:
I think what happens is people see server RAM with heatsinks and they think: "Oh goody. If I get RAM heatsinks my RAM will be he […]
Show full quote

I think what happens is people see server RAM with heatsinks and they think: "Oh goody. If I get RAM heatsinks my RAM will be heavy duty just like server RAM".
What they miss is that server RAM slots are normally spaced (estimating) 3 or 4 mm apart specifically to allow room for airflow between the heatsinks. (See attached pic).
But consumer boards tend to have some of the RAM slots smacked right up against each other like shown in the Opening Post pic. No room at all for airflow on one side.

That and servers often are in small cases with little ventilation (blade server) And servers have a different type of load too.
Your gaming PC is not going to have ECC ram and sure is not going to be maxing it out 24/7 like a server might be.
Anything more than a strip of metal is a waste, but some just like the looks. For me a system full of shinny cooper looks cool when done right.

Reply 10 of 17, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
saturn wrote:
That and servers often are in small cases with little ventilation (blade server) And servers have a different type of load too. […]
Show full quote
PCBONEZ wrote:
I think what happens is people see server RAM with heatsinks and they think: "Oh goody. If I get RAM heatsinks my RAM will be he […]
Show full quote

That and servers often are in small cases with little ventilation (blade server) And servers have a different type of load too.
Your gaming PC is not going to have ECC ram and sure is not going to be maxing it out 24/7 like a server might be.
Anything more than a strip of metal is a waste, but some just like the looks. For me a system full of shinny cooper looks cool when done right.

Ah, yeah. I've built servers that use 128 Gb RAM. I've never messed with dedicated gaming machines. (For that sh*t, I'm here to learn.)
Even small chassis servers have a lot more airflow than consumer PCs. They use high capacity fans and ducting.
Blades like I think you mean use cabinet cooling with high capacity AC fans.
ECC and Buffered is not the same thing BTW.
I would rather have it be cool than look cool.
The problem with exposed copper is it is usually either coated with something (which hurts cooling) or it oxidizes and looks like crap fast.

Reply 11 of 17, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The better quality copper coolers are nickel anodized. With an application thickness as low as it is, I doubt conduction is much of a problem.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 12 of 17, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Provided good enough case ventilation modern RAM doesn't really get that hot even when OCed and overvolted:

6899_25_ddr4-memory-overclocking-report-beginners-guide_full.jpg
http://www.tweaktown.com/guides/6899/ddr4-mem … ide/index4.html

I'd better place those sinks on top of naked FETs like that one to the right:

KRmdnoUu.jpg

Let the air flow!

Reply 13 of 17, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, I don't think it's ever needed. It's just a marketing technique for gullible buyers, who think that if it has a big heatsink, it is somehow better. Well, that and looks for the geeks.

I myself have a set of 4 OCZ Reapers in my desktop PC. Bought them before I realized it was silly.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 14 of 17, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr_st wrote:

Yeah, I don't think it's ever needed. It's just a marketing technique for gullible buyers, who think that if it has a big heatsink, it is somehow better. Well, that and looks for the geeks.

I myself have a set of 4 OCZ Reapers in my desktop PC. Bought them before I realized it was silly.

The problem is that most higher clocked non-"value" sticks comes with those, as useless as they are. When I built my Haswell system all decent 16GB@1866MHz (I'd be happy with 1600MHz, but they were at the same price range) kits I could find had heatsinks... I just never bothered removing them.

Reply 15 of 17, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
alexanrs wrote:
dr_st wrote:

The problem is that most higher clocked non-"value" sticks comes with those, as useless as they are. When I built my Haswell system all decent 16GB@1866MHz (I'd be happy with 1600MHz, but they were at the same price range) kits I could find had heatsinks... I just never bothered removing them.

I use primarily Kingston KVR for anything past PC133. (Well, I'll use what I can get but that's the first one I look for.)
Except for the FBDIMM few of the KVR have heatsinks.
Also compatibility problems with KVR are few and far between.

Reply 16 of 17, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a few DDR2 KVR sticks. Never had any trouble with them (neither have all my Kingston flash drivers)... but I don't think I found any 1600MHz+ sticks when I was building my system, or else I would've snatched them instead.

Reply 17 of 17, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
alexanrs wrote:

As long as you find those with slim, low-profile heatsinks, they are not a problem, and they do look a bit nicer. As long as you don't expect miracles from them, you're fine. 😀

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys