Common searches

First post, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm not usually into overclocking but I got an email notice for this contest:
http://oc-esports.io/#!/round/osibs_s2r1

Basically anything slot-a and riva tnt this round and I was trying to see if there was any interest to get a team together here.

I have my 1ghz slot A board just sitting, doing nothing right now so I'm probably going to do this, I was just hoping someone would do it with me.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 3 of 18, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is something I should be involved with as Im a clocker and I have all platforms... except för Slot-A...

I miss a Slot-A board as I sold the two I once owned before I got into retro computing. I recently had the chance to pick up an Asus board in good condition for 2 euro locally but for some idiotic reason I diddnt.

Competing with the LN2 crowd is not really doable but not eveybody who runs long distances is able to compete at the Olympics so I do not really see this as an issue.

Last edited by Skyscraper on 2016-01-07, 10:17. Edited 1 time in total.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 4 of 18, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:
I'm not usually into overclocking but I got an email notice for this contest: http://oc-esports.io/#!/round/osibs_s2r1 […]
Show full quote

I'm not usually into overclocking but I got an email notice for this contest:
http://oc-esports.io/#!/round/osibs_s2r1

Basically anything slot-a and riva tnt this round and I was trying to see if there was any interest to get a team together here.

I have my 1ghz slot A board just sitting, doing nothing right now so I'm probably going to do this, I was just hoping someone would do it with me.

I have a couple proper TNTs (Viper 550 something by diamond), but so Slot A board. Do have 2 crappy Slot A Athlons but no heatsinks (dunno if Slot 1 coolers are compatible).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 5 of 18, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

slot A and the 1st gen slot 1 coolers are identical.

that said I'd sell my left testicle for one of the old Alpha brand slot 1/a heatsinks :
c_pf2_3item.jpg

and my right one for a gold finger device.

Reply 6 of 18, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

that said I'd sell my left testicle for one of the old Alpha brand slot 1/a heatsinks :

I'm pretty sure the no trading rule includes trading in testicles.

Last edited by PCBONEZ on 2016-01-07, 11:16. Edited 1 time in total.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 7 of 18, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:

slot A and the 1st gen slot 1 coolers are identical.

I would not trade my gold finger device for your right nut.

SlotA_stuff.JPG
Filename
SlotA_stuff.JPG
File size
4.42 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 8 of 18, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Better cooling than air or water is not really needed here. Unless you have the goldfinger device and/or Athlon >900, motherboard is the limiting factor. Most of them tops out at 110 - 120 MHz FSB.

Btw, I'm already participating in this competition... first place in 3DM99 at the moment. 😀

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 9 of 18, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

yep. I have both a 950 and 1ghz slot a chip. I have one of those thermaltake golden orb heatsinks, it does OKAY, but there is a LOT of room for improvement.

Reply 10 of 18, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Global Win were the school of brute force cooling back in the day. The VOS32 and FOP38 for slot and socket applications respectively.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 11 of 18, by Kodai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Might I suggest to those who are considering joining together for this competition, these ideas. First decide what hardware you are going to use, and collect as many of the same parts as you can. Then contact a machinest on one of the major OC forums to have them fabricate coolers for your mobo, CPU, GPU, and ram. Good old dry ice will be more than enough for under 2Ghz on the hardware I see listed above. LN or HE is overkill on early gen slot a. The biggest problem will be getting the pots made in time, and sealing the hardware from dew buildup. It may be a bit on the pricey side of things. I quit doing it back in '09 because it was pushing $800-900 extra for each new set of pots I had to order. It's fun at first, but after a few years it becomes a grind.

Reply 12 of 18, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The most brutish brute force cooling I remember from back in that day where those ppl that bought used freezers off Craigslist for ~$50 and then built their system inside it.
The cables ran out the side to their desk.
You don't need exotic heatinks or loads of fans when the ambient temperature is below freezing.

Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 14 of 18, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:

The Ebay peltier squad was in full swing in those days as well.

HEY! I WAS ONE OF THEM! Had a p2-400 and ran it at 600mhz. that system hauled ass for its day.

Reply 15 of 18, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
havli wrote:

Better cooling than air or water is not really needed here. Unless you have the goldfinger device and/or Athlon >900, motherboard is the limiting factor. Most of them tops out at 110 - 120 MHz FSB.

Btw, I'm already participating in this competition... first place in 3DM99 at the moment. 😀

But what about the graphics card, they are the limiting factor.

Reply 16 of 18, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can not tell how they score.
What is worth points?

Last edited by PCBONEZ on 2016-01-09, 09:24. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 17 of 18, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I also got the email. I loved to OC old cpus. Last time I checked I was still holding half a dozen World Records. :p
But now I wouldn't risk my only mobo and 1ghz slot A cpu just for the sake of it. There are already too few left...

Reply 18 of 18, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Putas wrote:

But what about the graphics card, they are the limiting factor.

Decent TNT2 will be always limited by Slot A CPU in 3DM99. Current TNT2 record is 14500 points. http://hwbot.org/submission/2166350_christian … pro_14526_marks

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware