VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by lucky7456969

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I need to find out about the corresponding api names and parameter list from XP to 7.
I want to move the explorer.exe from xp to 7. any ideas? I just need to build an api hooker...
Thanks
Jack

Reply 1 of 5, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sounds like a complicated project. What exactly is your goal? Would you be able to achieve it by installing the Classic Shell extension instead?

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 2 of 5, by lucky7456969

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am trying to map xp api calls and divert them to windows 7 kernel,
I know that since we can't have 2 active OSes runnning in parallel, and I thought about it
and coming up and say let's only use one kernel and just interface the explorer part of
windows xp to windows 7 kernel instead, so we can have a complete look and feel of
windows xp in 7, more than that is you can use back uxtheme.dll of windows xp
and stylexp is resurrected once again!
And fun part is, to use a virtual desktop, like winpager, dexport and
running this explorer in one VDT and another in second one.
xp and 7 both running at same time, and let's install
Portable Ubuntu with mac theme,
Windows XP, 7 and MacOS all active now

Reply 3 of 5, by lucky7456969

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ClassicShell is good, but is lacking a lot of windows xp important features,
like the explorer doesn't exactly look like xp and the menu is very fake
I want to use xp explorer directly instead

Reply 4 of 5, by lucky7456969

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Anyways, If you're brave enough, you can copy all explorer related files from xp to 7, I've tested it, it works.
the start menu everything, but I cannot get it work completely, just still testing now. report back later

The only problem I've got now is when I stop the windows 7 explorer, and start the xp explorer in windows 7,
windows will eventually spawn a windows 7 explorer anyways, I don't know who is controlling it and who is controlling the
aero interface...

Reply 5 of 5, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lucky7456969 wrote:

ClassicShell is good, but is lacking a lot of windows xp important features,

Such as?

lucky7456969 wrote:

Anyways, If you're brave enough, you can copy all explorer related files from xp to 7, I've tested it, it works.
the start menu everything, but I cannot get it work completely, just still testing now. report back later

I will be surprised if eventually you don't run into seriously broken behavior. Explorer.exe is a very fundamental component of the OS, and not one which was ever designed to be used as a "plugin".

lucky7456969 wrote:
And fun part is, to use a virtual desktop, like winpager, dexport and running this explorer in one VDT and another in second one […]
Show full quote

And fun part is, to use a virtual desktop, like winpager, dexport and
running this explorer in one VDT and another in second one.
xp and 7 both running at same time, and let's install
Portable Ubuntu with mac theme,
Windows XP, 7 and MacOS all active now

I see. Well, for a fun exploratory project, or a technical exercise in Windows internals, I guess yours is quite an interesting idea. I just don't think it is in any way practical for actual normal usage.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys