VOGONS

Anyone else use RSS?

Topic actions

First post, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just wondering if anyone else out there reads RSS newsfeeds. What reader/aggregator/whateveritscalled do you use, and what feeds are you subscribed to?

Not to plug it, but I use forumzilla (http://forumzilla.mozdev.org/) which is a plugin for Mozilla's Mail/News component (or Thunderbird, the standalone version). It's kind of klunky, but it's nice that it integrates into Mozilla so A) I don't have to have yet another program running on my system, and B) reading RSS feeds looks exactly the same as reading e-mail or Usenet newsgroups. It's also efficient at loading articles because it uses Mozilla.

I might be interested in checking out other RSS readers though if anyone feels strongly in favor of some other one that's out there. I tried a few that were kind of bloated and used Internet Explorer for displaying articles, which I now can't stand.

Oh, and these are the feeds I subscribe to:

While I'm on the subject of news sites, it just occured to me that I'm not aware of the existence of a good news site for the abandonware/old games community like there is for console games. It would be cool if there was a site that posted news about stuff like DOSBox, SCUMMVM, MT-32 emulators, VOGONS, Home of the Underdogs and anything else going on regarding old games.

*** PRACTICAL TOPICS-PER-POST LIMIT EXCEEDED - TERMINATING POST ***

Reply 1 of 6, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

adventuregamers.com??

Anyway.
Both Firefox and Thunderbird have built-in RSS feed readers.
Trunk versions of the Suite should also have RSS feed readers now after the landing of FF/TB (1.8 was branched before the landing; 1.9 will be the first branch with the new features).

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 2 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've been thinking more and more (uh oh) about game reviews and gaming news.

I haven't been satisfied with most reviews I've seen. They don't seem to mention what I deem important.

1. Game installation media/method.
2. Copy Protection methods
3. Save Game method
4. Save game destination
4. Game size/# of media.
5. Problems with games due to distribution method: Has anyone but me wondered why no game review mentioned STEAM in a bad way? (Well we all know why...$$$$) but in EVERY review that I have read it's all been praises....no disparaging remarks at all.
3. Which API? Opengl/DX
4. Game Engine used
5. Sound engine used

I'd like to tie all this up into my Game Compatibility list. Problem is I have my hands full just testing compatibility......which means by the time I focus on the things I listed above it will be 2050.

As for RSS....that would be a cool thing for VOGONS to have....along with a main site (RSS eats up too much bandwidth tho). Once I get a job Id even like to provide some of the $$ depending on if I get a good enough job or not.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 6, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Snover: Interesting - I'll have to keep an eye on that site

DosFreak: RSS wouldn't mean much for a forum (i.e. VOGONS), unless someone wants to tag noteworthy threads or something. And I would argue that RSS can actually save bandwidth if implemented correctly because everyone could download just the titles of articles and then load only ones of interest instead of loading a whole page with summaries of all recent articles (like most news sites have for their main HTML page).

And what's with your avatar? Is it a coincidence or did you change it because of my post? 😀

Reply 4 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nah, changed it 'cause I got tired of the ugly Vogon look. Kept on getting questions from people wanting to know if I was the Dosfreak from 3Dfiles. Found that pic in my stash that I'd saved from a thread on 3dfiles that was discussing the possibility of making a 3dfiles OS. heh.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 6, by fish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't use an RSS reader but I use RSS to incorporate headlines into my group's web site.

Reply 6 of 6, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh baby, these pages are so lean and mean that the XML overhead of a feed is probably the same as the overhead from the XHTML. 😉
(Okay, not. But still. It's possible to do an RSS feed of the last n threads pretty easily, but I don't know how useful it would really be...)

Yes, it’s my fault.