VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by fish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, back in the 1990s I accidentally erased a diskette.

It contained a program that could output 1980's music to the PC speaker in a decent way. I suspect it to be a kind of mod tracker. I don't know if it was limited to the speaker. All I know is my 286 had no sound card but still the sound was pretty. The program shipped with the ALF theme and some pop music though this might have been added later by the BBS person who distributed the software.

I never again found it on diskette, in computer clubs, gopherspace, archie or web archives. Does anybody know this product?

Reply 2 of 11, by fish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In order to run Scream Tracker 3.2, you need at least a 386SX, a VGA display and a soundcard. The supported soundcards are Sound Blaster, Sound Blaster Pro, Gravis Ultrasound and all cards that are 100% compatible with any of the above. The FM-options only work on SB and SB-Pro compatible cards, since GUS doesn't have an FM chip. There is no mouse support, since it wouldn't really be convenient in this style of tracker.

You should also have some EMS, since Scream Tracker loads the sampledata into EMS (even with a GUS). The patterndata is stored in conventional (below 640k) memory. If you're running low on memory, the FreeMem display in the main screen will turn red. It would be a very good idea to save your work, since ST tends to turn unstable in low memory situations.

386, EMS - this one is the wrong one.

The Sole Survivor.
Find me on efnet #oldgames

Reply 4 of 11, by fish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

text though it might have had colors through ansi, don't remember.

a second file that shipped with the disk was a pop song with a hook like "forever together we stay" or something like it.

The Sole Survivor.
Find me on efnet #oldgames

Reply 6 of 11, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I remember having a DOS, text-based mod tracker for a while too (that used the PC speaker or one of those do-it-yourself parallel port D/A converters). I think I asked around the MOD scene when I was into it a couple years ago and found out what it was, but it once again escapes my memory.

Reply 7 of 11, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I thought digitrakker had pc speaker support?

Intel CC820 | PIII 667 | 2x128MB SDRAM | 3Dfx Voodoo 5 5500 @ Dell P790 | Creative SB PCI128 | Fujitsu MPC3064AT 6GB + QUANTUM FIREBALLlct10 10 GB | SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-608 | IOMEGA ZIP 100 | Realtek RTL8139C | Agere Win Modem

Reply 11 of 11, by Sol_HSA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'd guess either ScreamTracker 2.x or FastTracker 1.x. If it was text, then ST 2.x. FastTracker was always "graphic". (ScreamTracker 3.x was a total recode)

http://iki.fi/sol - my schtuphh