User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Great....just great.

I'm still using a modem because I can't justify buying cable/dsl if I
am not going to use it efficiently (all that bandwidth wasted) for a
whopping $25 at the least.

So with that being said I like to notice the trends in compression of internet files over the years (as cable/dsl increases, peoples manners in compression decreases), since as I still download some stuff I like to see how far I can compress these files myself.

(I downloaded the SIT files from the site. All tests below were done with the .SIT uncompressed with STUFFIT and recompressed with PowerArchiver/Winrar for .rar)

Check this out:

Marathon 2

A1/SDL Files for Windows

Marathon 2 (Complete)

.sit=27,112,342 (.SIT from Macintosh download from site)
.ZIP=28.9mb (Original file) (Not gonna download it but probly .SIT Zipped???)
.ZIP=20,079,462 (Powerarchiver)
.CAB=17,428,519
.rar=16,123,732 (Winrar)
.7z =15,836,664

Recompressed the .sit with Winzip/PowerArchiver/Stuffit to .zip but I keep on getting smaller files...not the 28.9mb the site reports or the 29,606 that Mozilla reports for the downloaded file. So somehow they have made the 27,112,342m .sit file increase to 29,606,xxx. Thanks guys!

So 56k modem. Average 15meg in 1 hour.

TIME TO DOWNLOAD

.ZIP=2hrs (Original)
.ZIP=1hr 20 mins (PowerArchiver)
.CAB=1hr 10+ mins (PowerArchiver)
.rar=1hr 5 mins (Winrar)
.7z = 1hr+ (PowerArchiver)

Remember these are the Windows downloads. I honestly do not understand how someone can publish something on their site and not compress it as much as they can. I can understand using say .zip over a more obscure format such as .7z for user-friendliness (even tho this is why they invented self-extracting files) but just posting a file without even bothering? It boggles the mind. Using 7zip I have effectively decreased the download time by HALF.....HALF!!!!!!

P.S. - Download time are rough guesstimates. Modem speed due to line fluctuation/server bandwidth cannot be given a truly accurate reading. So don't bitch at my figures. They're good enough.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 1 of 6, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Agreed. Original ZIP compression is obsolete right now. There are a lot of better compressors around: RAR, ACE, 7ZIP, etc... They will always yield better compression ratios than original ZIP (which couldn't do "solid" compression or use dictionaries). On certain cases, the compression benefits are insane.

Reply 2 of 6, by Sol_HSA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Considering the increase in storage space and bandwidth, it would take a very, very good compression technology to break into mainstream.

Compressing down to 50% from zip isn't going to cut it. 10% is more like it, and that kind of generic compression is pretty much impossible.

Saying that original ZIP is obsolete is not really true. It's a good, fast generic compressor. Specialized compression methods for specific kinds of data can easily beat ZIP tenfold, but it's not so easy to do for generic compression.

http://iki.fi/sol - my schtuphh

Reply 3 of 6, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sol_HSA: PKZIP uses multiple compression methods for individual files in an archive as it sees fit. You could make a new archive format that has an array of compression methods more suited to modern file formats and sizes (for all I know, that's what formats like 7-Zip do).

I agree that it would be hard to get it into the mainstream, but BZip and now 7zip seem to be more and more accepted as time goes by. ZIP will always be around, just like MP3 and GIF (versus OGG and PNG, for example).

Reply 4 of 6, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@Sol_HSA: I have had such significant benefits using RAR versus ZIP, so, 😀

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 5 of 6, by Sol_HSA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Compared to zip's "marketshare", rar isn't really mainstream. =)

http://iki.fi/sol - my schtuphh

Reply 6 of 6, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

RAR is widely-used in some circles, but ZIP is definitely king in terms of widespread use.