VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

http://datacent.com/datarecovery/hdd/samsung/HD501LJ

I had the same sympthomes with burned pcb on a HD321KJ drive.. But these pcbs keeps burning.. What happening it that the solder pads will change from a normal color to a black burned color.. There is also a chances that the controller will likely be dead or burned as well.. The drive wont even recognized anymore.
These drives are very vulnerable for power surges and power overheating..

This drive is from the T166 series.. Please dont buy nor use them.. Its just a wast of time and probably a high chance of failure rate..

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 1 of 12, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I always try to avoid samsung hdds Ive had lots of bad luck, but their ssds are the bomb

Motherboard Reviews The Motherboard Thread
Plastic parts looking nasty and yellow try this Deyellowing Plastic

Reply 3 of 12, by mattrock1988

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
nforce4max wrote:

Well I hope that their 2.5inch drives are not fucked, got two 2TB in my main thinkpad w520. 😢

Same here. I have a Samsung Spinpoint M9T 2TB 2.5 inch SATA drive in my ThinkPad T450s. It serves as the disk for my entire /home partition on Fedora.

Granted, it's a post Seagate-acquisition Samsung design, so who knows. My luck has been very good so far. *knocks on wood*

Retro PC: Intel Pentium III @ 1 GHz, Intel SE440BX-2, 32 GB IDE DOM, 384 MB SDRAM, DVD-ROM, 1.44 MB floppy, Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti 4600 AGP, Creative SoundBlaster AWE64 Gold, Aureal Vortex 2
I only rely on 86box these days. My Pentium 3 PC died. 🙁

Reply 4 of 12, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

is that only with new Samsungs?

I have one 80GB for my RetroPC,

And 3 Story Stations (2TB each) for Backup.
But they only run for maybe 2 Hours when Updating Backups, not 24/7.
The external case is still cold then.

Reply 5 of 12, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been using an HD103SJ (1TB) since I bought it new probably 6 years ago. Was used in my daily driver before migrating to my server. Maybe rather then tempting fate I will choose a different model...

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 6 of 12, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know the T133 and T166 series Samsungs weren't that great, but the rest of their stuff seems to be very solid. Been using F3 series drives, namely, the HD103SJ and HD754JJ, in my main system for a very long time now (~6 years or so) and they have never given me problems. In addition, their older stuff seems to be pretty much bulletproof - I've been using several older Samsung HDDs in my retro systems, such as a 3.2GB SV0322A in my Pentium Pro, and all have not given me any issues ever since I started using them.

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 7 of 12, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had good experiences with Seagate's 400GB and 1.5TB drives and used them for years, despite hearing of the issues. I've now got huge stack of them just gathering dust; all working when pulled.

Reply 8 of 12, by MrMateczko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a Samsung SP0822N, performs wonderfully fast for it's age (and IDE limitations), and it's reliable after many tortures I've already done on it.
I guess it's just these models, mistakes happen to everyone.
And of course, we have the amazing SSD's from them gaining critical acclaim.

Reply 9 of 12, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I haven't had a failed Spinpoint at this point and I've been using Spinpoints for maybe 10 years now (all bought new).
But it's always a good idea to make regular backups anyway.

And even though the described symptoms on that webpage may be real, don't forget that the creators of that page seem to make their living from people paying them to recover data, so expect them to make you panic a bit when reading it 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 10 of 12, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I used 2 x Samsung HD203WI Spinpoint EcoGreen F3EG 2TB 5400RPM 32MB drives in my system since 2010. Funny enough, both of them recently died within a few months of each other. These were low-power drives and maybe that had something to do with it (never had luck with the WD Green drives either). I used them for just plain storage - not RAIDed or anything either..

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 11 of 12, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

*shrugs*

HDD brands are, in large quantities, and over large spans of time, no better or worse than each other.

Some people have "nothing but bad luck" with X brand, and will swear never to touch them, while the next person will *only* ever use X brand.

There will always be dud models, bad batches and so forth. It's inevitable that an individual might end up with a series of drives from a specific brand that don't work.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 12 of 12, by Snayperskaya

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Data recovery companies tend to use a generic article for describing known problems for lots of models and manufacturers. I've had nothing but good experiences with Samsung HDDs. I have even some very old ones (20GB IDE) that still work flawless. Tried fiddling with the URL and came to this: http://datacent.com/datarecovery/hdd/samsung/HD501LOL haha

PSU quality plays a great role on durability of a HDD, but there's some models that are prone to defects due to poor voltage regulating circuits. I've seen my fair share of 80GB WD Caviars with fried PCBs.