VOGONS

First post, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I've been planning a new build, I found one of those single-board computers that is meant as an upgrade to an original system, and was thinking of doing a 1989/1999 build. The SBC will take up to any socket 7 cpu up to a K6-3 500. I was thinking of doing a high-end 286 with this dropped in one of the ISA slots. My question is: do you think there is any good way to run both at the same time, and be able to switch back and forth between the two systems? My guess is that at a minimum I'd need a power supply beefy enough to handle both a 286 mainboard and the K6 on the SBC, and 2 ATX power supply headers (with an AT adapter on one). My idea is either have both active at the same time and use a KVM to switch between the 2, or have it so that flipping an external switch will make one or the other active. Sound cool? I just don't know what would be a good way to do the wiring so that I don't fry one or both of the systems.

The thinking behind this build is to showcase the huge progress in that 10 year period, and also to have a nicely consolidated system where I could drop multiple socket 7 cpus in very easily, if I wanted to swap them out (say, maybe keep a pentium 120, 233 and the K6-500 on hand to be able to "shift gears" so to speak ---- or maybe this will be more of a pain than it is worth).

Reply 1 of 2, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Pretty sure you can't just put a single-board computer in the ISA slot of a desktop motherboard. If it even powers up in that configuration there will be all kinds of conflicts caused by duplicating support chips & resources. The SBC needs what's called a passive backplane which is basically a bunch of ISA slots with no controller chip, CPU, RAM, etc.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 2 of 2, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah no I know what you're thinking and it is not that kind of SBC. It's a Powerleap Renaissance board and is meant to go into an existing motherboard, you just move the power adapter over. I'm just trying to figure out how to selectively power one or the other without having to manually move the damn connector.