VOGONS

First post, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was on eBay looking at typewriters, and I see auctions for "typewriter keys". As you may know, many people strip the keys off old typewriters in order to decorate things with them.

This is along the same lines as those people who strip old hardware for gold. A lot of good hardware gets ruined because people cut off the pins for the gold. Of course, if the hardware is bricked then it's OK. But those people really don't care whether it still works or not; they simply can't see past the ends of their noses looking for that shiny yellow.

Also there are some people who ruin good hardware to make "art". I saw a piece of "art" once which was nothing but a plastic tube full of old hardware. I saw several good CPUs in there, memory, cache chips, you name it. But the tube was completely sealed up! Eventually that piece of "art" will be thrown away, and then that old hardware will go to the landfill or be recycled just like so many others 🙁

Anyone else feel their blood boil when looking at stuff like this?

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 1 of 17, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

*shrugs*

At the end of the day, they're just things, objects. Getting upset about it is just wasted energy.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 2 of 17, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Waah! Somebody's enjoying this old junk in the wrong way! That's not the way I'd use it!!!

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 3 of 17, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It may not boil but sometimes my heart just hurts. 🙁

On the other hand, I try to understand that to those people, our beloved stuff is the
same as a broken coffee machine or an old toaster (remember that cartoon ?)

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 17, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I do not care. Thousands of tons are recycled / land filled annually.

Reply 5 of 17, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xjas wrote:

Waah! Somebody's enjoying this old junk in the wrong way! That's not the way I'd use it!!!

Basically.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 6 of 17, by ScoutPilot19

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There's especcially sad situation with Soviet Compuers from that point of view - as they content of very big ammount of gold, palladium, etc... They were speccially hunt in the 1990s, when the people here were just surviving in many cases, by the criminals and so called "nekrofily" - people who destroy old hardware for gold and etc... And it's our history, about which many dont'k even imagine now - it's almost lost - it's common thing, that in England or the USA people care about their history - architecture, cars, aircraft, computers, steam boats... And we always lose almost everething ...(( Today spoke with a collector, who spend a lot of effort and money to preserve the history - War time letters, all kind of things and, of course, computers and calculators - here's his site - http://rk86.com/frolov/

))

Reply 7 of 17, by ScoutPilot19

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

And also few years ago was making serie of photos about the steampunkers - who imagine, that they live in the "alternate XIX century" - they are nice and beautiful people, but they are known to dissasemble watches, alarm clocks and typewriters to make their stuff...

Reply 8 of 17, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yar reading about the environmental impacts of coffee pods angries up my blood somewhat, but seeing people find a creative use for otherwise unwanted old hardware doesn't really register a reponse at all.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 9 of 17, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Over population will kill the world.

Reply 10 of 17, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ScoutPilot19 wrote:

There's especcially sad situation with Soviet Compuers from that point of view - as they content of very big ammount of gold, palladium, etc... They were speccially hunt in the 1990s, when the people here were just surviving in many cases, by the criminals and so called "nekrofily" - people who destroy old hardware for gold and etc... And it's our history, about which many dont'k even imagine now - it's almost lost - it's common thing, that in England or the USA people care about their history - architecture, cars, aircraft, computers, steam boats... And we always lose almost everething ...(( Today spoke with a collector, who spend a lot of effort and money to preserve the history - War time letters, all kind of things and, of course, computers and calculators - here's his site - http://rk86.com/frolov/

ScoutPilot19 wrote:

And also few years ago was making serie of photos about the steampunkers - who imagine, that they live in the "alternate XIX century" - they are nice and beautiful people, but they are known to dissasemble watches, alarm clocks and typewriters to make their stuff...

Uhm, I don't know much about those people, but I don't think they rip apart those things that are in a good contition or contain
aluable material, but more the type of things you'll find on the road side.
You know, these things which get recycled anyway sooner or later.
Anyway, sad about these Komputers from the former eastern bloc. 🙁
These big and clunky machines were a inspiration for so many science fiction novels, I think.
And I do also appreciate the way you/your people were able to wire up so many discrete parts together to working machinery.
I mean, just look at those photos. It was actually possible to repair these without a lab and a special SMD tool kit (sample photo).
Assuming that you had access to such things, of course. I don't think they were a common thing in the average household.
Anyway, I hope he's able to preserve as much as he can.

(Btw. for some reason I've got the urge to install a copy of DCP on my PC/XT now.. 😉 )

badmojo wrote:

Yar reading about the environmental impacts of coffee pods angries up my blood somewhat, but seeing people find a creative use for otherwise unwanted old hardware doesn't really register a reponse at all.

Yes, the coffee pods garbage is an annoying thing. And I'm sure, people will notice this sometime.
And they they will realize the creative use at the latest when they sometime hit their nose(s) against a huge sculpture
made out of rubb.. err.. I mean.., old hardware on an art show . 😀

PeterLI wrote:

Over population will kill the world.

We need more worlds, then.

Edit: Corrected wrong quote.

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 11 of 17, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jo22 wrote:

I don't think they rip apart those things that are in a good contition or contain
aluable material, but more the type of things you'll find on the road side.
You know, these things which get recycled anyway sooner or later.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

More often than not when I'm down at the recycle center digging through various MB's and cards, there are quite a few perfectly good cards (in good shape, not scratched up or bent or anything) which have had the pins cut off, apparently for the gold. Those cards could have been sold for more than the value of the gold in them 😐

Reply 12 of 17, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ah, I know what you mean. I once found an old Colour Genie EG2000 by EACA/Trommeschläger this way (it's a beautiful little machine, btw.):
It was thrown away by an university. What an irony, don't ya think ? Out Of all people, the intellectuals had to do this. 🙁
Luckily, I was there at the right time and was able to pick it up and save it.

But in my previous post I was thinking of steampunkers on their search for more classical stuff, like old umbrellas, alarm locks,
a bike with no wheels (tires), broken weighing machine, crushed typewriters, vintage television set (they have cool dials!),
or broken CB radios and stuff like that.

Guess the meaning of value is rather relative or something personal sometimes. This comic explains it rather well, I think. 😁
It reminds me of that old dialogue: a)"What are you buying ?" b)"Worthless junk." a)"Ah, okay, sir. And what are you sellin' ?" b)"Precious antiques!"
ME_311_OldJunk-640x199.png
Source: http://libertarianstandard.com/2011/04/26/mim … E2%80%99t-want/

//My video channel//

Reply 13 of 17, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In the same way, vintage camera enthusiasts and collectors get upset when Star Wars fans buy an authentic Graflex camera flash handle and gut it to turn it into Luke's first lightsaber. As a result, when one of them tries to buy one from said enthusiasts, they hike the price up really high.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 14 of 17, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
SquallStrife wrote:

*shrugs*

At the end of the day, they're just things, objects. Getting upset about it is just wasted energy.

This.

And to add to it.
They bought it, they can do what they want with it.

Reply 15 of 17, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jade Falcon wrote:

Absolutely, but we're also free to criticize if they play-dough it in their overclocking adventures.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 16 of 17, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:
Jade Falcon wrote:

Absolutely, but we're also free to criticize if they play-dough it in their overclocking adventures.

Precisely.

Reply 17 of 17, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keenmaster486 wrote:
gdjacobs wrote:
Jade Falcon wrote:

Precisely.

I'm absolutely with you on this. It made my blood run cold. *shudder*

However, *sometimes* it is necesarry to damage old stuff. Just think of "crash tests" for cars.
I'm sure they will also perform these tests with vintage cars or caravans.

Btw, I've once seen an educational video where they exposed a Desktop PC (running W3.1) to a strong radio beam (essential a big microwave oven).
It was kind of shocking to me. First, the CRT started to flicker. Later, Windows 3.1 went crazy and showed a blue screen.
But it didn't completely crash. After they switched the machine of, the blue screen went away and the PC seemed working fine again (brave ol' 3.1!).
I think the video was about the importance of RF shielding in electonics products or the Faraday cage. Anyway, this was 20 years ago..

//My video channel//