VOGONS

First post, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thought I should share with you a trailer for Silicon Cowboys.

Guess the makers of this documentary might have been inspired by success of the "Halt and Catch Fire" series. Pretty excited about this — I'm not well-versed in the 80s PC history, which is why I'd like to know how come IBM didn't just sue the compatibles into the ground. These days people often state that PC was an open platform from the start, implying that anyone was welcome to make a clone, and IBM almost encouraged this. But it can't be that simple.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 1 of 3, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow!.... большое спасибо.

This looks tremendous, thanks for posting.

I too will be looking forward to this. I'm a massive Compaq Junkie and have been spending what little time I can afford this hobby recently on the Systempro and Deskpro's. Will be very good to see a proper documentary about what I've only read bits about.

Regards to IBM not suing everyone, I guess there may have been ways around it like different system design / architecture... like IBM had MCA whereas everyone else had standard old ISA... until Compaq and the gang of 9 introduced EISA.

Quality post спасибо!

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 2 of 3, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thank you very much, jheronimus! 😁

Can't wait for this documentation !
- I've just set a bookmark in my browser! ^^

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 3, by GuyTechie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Posting to subscribe. 😀