VOGONS

Thin Client (like) Setup

Topic actions

First post, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok heres what I would like to do, just let me know if its possible or if you have any thoughts on how to go about starting it:

I would like to setup a low end computer to be able to run a game off of my gaming rig. The point? Nevermind that. I would like to know if there is such a program to use the server's (high end computer's) resources like hardware-wise and run a game not normally runable on the low end client.

Is this possible via some thin client software or remote connection? Xp's built in remote service won't help since it gives Direct3D errors (meaning its not using all remote resources). Its almost like I want the low end machine to act like its sitting on my computer.

AND! (yes there is an and) If its possible I'd like to still be able to use my machine by giving the game a lower priority...though not too low as to cut frame rates / lag time. Almost like as if I was running the game on my machine but routed the video output and input( keyboard/mouse) to the thin client.

I know that sounds confusing and lengthy, but I am searching for solutions. I'm sure something like what I ask *is* possible....but I just need a good place to start.

Reply 1 of 6, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had been thinking about something similar, only in reverse. I wanted to setup an old 486 with DOS and Win 3x, but control it from a modern computer. I don't think that there is anything like Remote Desktop for DOS/Win3x. DOSBox is starting to be good enough that I don't feel as much of a need as I once did. A Mac friend of mine used Timbuktu to control a PC from his Mac. The GUI was too slow to be usable, even on a Gigabit connection. XP's Remote Desktop works much better for him.

Reply 2 of 6, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes remote desktop is good...however it simply gives DX errors when trying to run games remotely. Also, it boots me out of my computer.

What is pcAnywhere like? Can 2 people be logged in?

Reply 3 of 6, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

collector & avatar : Go take a look at VNC in its various incarnations (I use RealVNC). If you are really lucky, there might be a Win3x server version too.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 4 of 6, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm...you may be on to something with that one. I'll try it once I get home (I'm at work 😅 )

Reply 5 of 6, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not a chance. You'll never have enough bandwidth to push uncompresesd full-screen sound and video, and not enough power on the other system to compress it in realtime.

Yes, it’s my fault.