VOGONS

First post, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi all!

Looking to beef up my DOS benchmark suite and instead of batch files, I'm considering a nicer menu interface. Does anyone have experience and can recommend a program?

It should work on old and very modern machines and easy to use.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 1 of 10, by ZanQuance

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A quick search led me to another Vogons thread here perhaps one of those might work?

Reply 2 of 10, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yup, just wondering if anyone has used one of them and can make recommendations or which ones to avoid. That sort of information 😀

Reply 4 of 10, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote:

medley, it's not fancy and looks like a pimped DOS batch but it's really easy to work with, small and fast . I use it regularly for various tasks, it gets the job done...

Sweet I will check it out first!

EDIT: Looks great so far!

Reply 5 of 10, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was wondering a bit, what is the problem with CHOICE and using ANSI for beefed up menus?
There are more modern ANSI implementations that allow to load and unload on demand.
Considering that 'ANSI-BBS' were very common and did all their menu stuff with it.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 6 of 10, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm sure it will work great, I just don't have the time to figure it all out.

With the program Keropi linked, the menu is already finished. Thanks for the tip BTW. I already use it in a new benchmarking project making my life a little bit simpler.

Reply 7 of 10, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One remark: On a very slow PC like an XT class machine 3DBench 1.1 does not give a reasonable score (like 280 fps). 3Dbench 1.0 works however and shows correctly about 0.5 fps.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 8 of 10, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
elianda wrote:

One remark: On a very slow PC like an XT class machine 3DBench 1.1 does not give a reasonable score (like 280 fps). 3Dbench 1.0 works however and shows correctly about 0.5 fps.

Yes, both version will be available with a bit of an info.

Reply 9 of 10, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've always wondered about this. I've been some videos where someone tested multiple games and looked like they had them all setup to run from a bootmenu but the video never covered the subject. I always assumed they were built manually and always thought about putting together my own.

Reply 10 of 10, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Rhuwyn wrote:

I've always wondered about this. I've been some videos where someone tested multiple games and looked like they had them all setup to run from a bootmenu but the video never covered the subject. I always assumed they were built manually and always thought about putting together my own.

Yes that's basically what the did. You can also use a commander, like Norton commander, but it's not quite the same.

The one Keropi linked is very straight forward, perfect for me 😀

Others can have sub-menus and all sorts of other extras. But so far I'm happy. The options all fit on a screen, but if I ever run out of space I will look for an alternative.