Common searches

Bought this (Modern) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 320 of 2072, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kithylin wrote:
Looks like Intel skulltrail? I hope you got it cheap... those things use a ton of power and run rather hot. […]
Show full quote
m1919 wrote:

It's happening.

Waiting on this baby to get shipped.
[img]

Looks like Intel skulltrail? I hope you got it cheap... those things use a ton of power and run rather hot.

It's weird seeing a desktop motherboard in a server chassis too. Totally "custom" job there.

I would think almost 99% that it's not the original motherboard for that chassis.

Got the entire the thing 280 CAD shipped. Considering these haven't appeared very often on ebay in working order that's not too bad.

Comes with 16GB DDR2 FB-DIMM, dual Xeon X5482s and a 1200W PSU.

No clue what brand the PSU is, I'll probably end up replacing it. Also won't be keeping the case.

Plan is to eventually grab a pair of X5470s, they have FSB 1333mhz and 10x multiplier. Should be able to get at least 4Ghz out of them, I would think.

Power usage is not a concern as this is not going to be running 24/7.

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z

Reply 321 of 2072, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today I received a 771-to-775-modded Xeon E5450 (3.00GHz/1333MHz FSB/12MB cache/80W TDP) which was to replace a Q6600 (2.4GHz/1066/6MB cache) in my home studio PC. Fits nice with the 8GB DDR2-800 cas5 upgrade, and for the price it was quite right, practically saving me from building a new PC altogether. Felt like avoiding the power hungry X-series, didn't want to risk the motherboard's VRMs. I had to add the microcode for SLBBM manually, as I used an already modified BIOS for the Asus P5KC board which enabled ICH9 AHCI (stock BIOS ROM has no option for AHCI whatsoever). Don't do/plan to do any overclocking, though I have to get a better CPU cooler eventually, since I have one particular since my dual-core days, which doesn't help with quad CPUs a lot, especially right now (hot summer in Greece) 😜

Stojke wrote:

Its not like components found in trash after 20 years in rain dont still work flawlessly.

:: chemical reaction :: athens in love || reality is absent || spectrality || meteoron || the lie you believe

Reply 322 of 2072, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

...so I got this CoolerMaster Hyper TX3 Evo thingie, to replace a Spire Sigor low-profile aluminum no-heatpipe cooler. Would go for the 212 if I had a bigger case, but provided that I won't overclock and that I'm too bored to remove the P5KC to mount a cooler base on its back side, the TX3 seemed more appropriate 🤣 It appears to do the job nicely. I didn't get a second fan for it, but it lines up with a bigger, faster and noisier rear 12cm Sharkoon fan pushing warm air outside. I saw a maximum of 73C when fooling around with Prime95 (34C ambient temperature... HOT!). Will look into proper cable management to improve the airflow inside the case, and also think about replacing the 8800GT with something less powerful, or even passive.

Stojke wrote:

Its not like components found in trash after 20 years in rain dont still work flawlessly.

:: chemical reaction :: athens in love || reality is absent || spectrality || meteoron || the lie you believe

Reply 323 of 2072, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yay! Today is the day my server becomes a real server! Well yesterday.. but I didn't get around to posting it yesterday.

A friend of mine upgraded his server to 8GB ram modules (96 GB) and thus retired these, and so to offset the purchase of his new ram he offered them to me below market for $48 including shipping. So I bit it for my server. They're 4GB each and 48GB total. Go in my dual-socket-1366 server and we were in desperate need of ram with the game servers I host. Now I can virtualize more stuff in the house. Looking to see about virtualizing the router some day, possibly. Anyway, here's the upgrade 😁

r_48-GB-Ram.jpg
Larger: http://www.outfoxed.net/nas/48-GB-Ram.jpg

Only down side is our processors currently are nice 2.8 ghz (max turbo) 12MB-cached full i7 xeons, but they're only on 1066 mhz ram controllers. So later I'll have to upgrade the chips again to get in to 1333 mhz ram. This ram can do it, need to upgrade chips.

Well that's the ram for now anyway. And now I wait until next year for better processors.

Reply 324 of 2072, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bought a second mixer, a XENYX 502 from Behringer. This one is for my lab, it will go right next to my capture computer and let me use headphones while capturing and adjusting both levels conveniently: http://www.music-group.com/Categories/Behring … ers/502/p/P0576

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 325 of 2072, by Private_Ops

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
psychz wrote:

Today I received a 771-to-775-modded Xeon E5450 (3.00GHz/1333MHz FSB/12MB cache/80W TDP) which was to replace a Q6600 (2.4GHz/1066/6MB cache) in my home studio PC. Fits nice with the 8GB DDR2-800 cas5 upgrade, and for the price it was quite right, practically saving me from building a new PC altogether. Felt like avoiding the power hungry X-series, didn't want to risk the motherboard's VRMs. I had to add the microcode for SLBBM manually, as I used an already modified BIOS for the Asus P5KC board which enabled ICH9 AHCI (stock BIOS ROM has no option for AHCI whatsoever). Don't do/plan to do any overclocking, though I have to get a better CPU cooler eventually, since I have one particular since my dual-core days, which doesn't help with quad CPUs a lot, especially right now (hot summer in Greece) 😜

Peaked my interest. That cost me 50 bucks! 🤣

Got an E5450, adapter piece, and an HP Pro 3000 motherboard (G45 chipset) on the way now.

*Motherboard confirmed working per delidded.com

Reply 326 of 2072, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Private_Ops wrote:

Got an E5450, adapter piece, and an HP Pro 3000 motherboard (G45 chipset) on the way now.

Have fun! (you sure will!)

Stojke wrote:

Reply 327 of 2072, by Private_Ops

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
psychz wrote:
Private_Ops wrote:

Have fun! (you sure will!)

Just want to report. Got all my hardware today. Trimmed the socket. Put the adapter on the E5450. Board booted on the first try and detected the CPU. No issues so far.

Reply 328 of 2072, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bought an AMD E-450 powered HP Business class netbook for cheap. Going to be used by an 80 year old photographer for on the go picture storage and photo editing and such. She wanted something with great battery life and compact that WASNT a touchscreen 🤣.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 329 of 2072, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Private_Ops wrote:

Just want to report. Got all my hardware today. Trimmed the socket. Put the adapter on the E5450. Board booted on the first try and detected the CPU. No issues so far.

Congrats! 😁 Run CPU-Z to verify that the BIOS has enabled support for all the features the CPU can do, esp. SSSE3, SSE4.1, VT-x. If it's all enabled, you don't need microcode injection.

Stojke wrote:

Reply 330 of 2072, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bought that B85 motherboard in the ebay thread and picked up a Haswell Pentium as well. Going to help a friend upgrade from his Core2 I think.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 331 of 2072, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bought some cheap PCIe USB 3.0 as well as eSATA controllers. Not sure what to do with them, but I will find a project.

On a local for sales forum someone offered a few FM2+ bundles, will get one. Want to check them out for Windows XP gaming compatibility.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 332 of 2072, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I bought some of these switches:

s-l300.jpg
Filename
s-l300.jpg
File size
6.95 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

to replace the momentary switches in the ATX case that my 486 motherboard is in. This let me turn my Reset button into a Turbo button and also allows me to power on the PC from the case power button instead of a big button connected to a wire hanging out of the case.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 333 of 2072, by FuzzyLogic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
clueless1 wrote:

s-l300.jpg

to replace the momentary switches in the ATX case that my 486 motherboard is in. This let me turn my Reset button into a Turbo button and also allows me to power on the PC from the case power button instead of a big button connected to a wire hanging out of the case.

I'm guessing you are using an ATX power supply with a converter cable. Can you post pics of this setup? I might have to do something like this in the future.

Reply 334 of 2072, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
FuzzyLogic wrote:
clueless1 wrote:

s-l300.jpg

I'm guessing you are using an ATX power supply with a converter cable. Can you post pics of this setup? I might have to do something like this in the future.

I'm working on a post here:
Wading slowly into the 486 waters
Stay tuned...

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 335 of 2072, by ynari

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As briefly mentioned elsewhere, bought a Logitech Trackman Marble. Lists only USB on the latest Amazon listing, and on the cover itself, but the Logitech website says it works in PS/2. It does not come with an adapter.

Take the adapter from my expired MX518, plug it into the KVM - works straight away! It's a bit different to get used to, but seems interesting. It also doesn't upset the KVM like my MX518 did (it works with the KVM, but the menu won't display when it's plugged in. Fine with the Trackman or a standard PS/2 mouse).

Now need to configure it to work in FreeBSD, so that I can hold down a button and it'll do 'mouse wheel' scrolling. Documentation for this in Xorg is lacking on all platforms.

Reply 336 of 2072, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought last week :

Quadro FX 1300.jpg
Filename
Quadro FX 1300.jpg
File size
956.46 KiB
Views
File license
QX9770.jpg
Filename
QX9770.jpg
File size
412.32 KiB
Views
File license

Both work like a charm :

GPU-z Quadro FX 1300.png
Filename
GPU-z Quadro FX 1300.png
File size
30.23 KiB
Views
File license
QX 9770 @ 3,84GHz (+VID Mod).png
Filename
QX 9770 @ 3,84GHz (+VID Mod).png
File size
38.08 KiB
Views
File license

In case of CPU, VID Mod was needed to make it stable.
VID (before mod) = 1,2875V
VID (after mod) = 1,3875V
Vdroop + Load Line = -0,12V on actual CPU (in Cinebench 11.5 Multithread test) 😁

157143230295.png

Reply 339 of 2072, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kithylin wrote:
Yay! Today is the day my server becomes a real server! Well yesterday.. but I didn't get around to posting it yesterday. […]
Show full quote

Yay! Today is the day my server becomes a real server! Well yesterday.. but I didn't get around to posting it yesterday.

A friend of mine upgraded his server to 8GB ram modules (96 GB) and thus retired these, and so to offset the purchase of his new ram he offered them to me below market for $48 including shipping. So I bit it for my server. They're 4GB each and 48GB total. Go in my dual-socket-1366 server and we were in desperate need of ram with the game servers I host. Now I can virtualize more stuff in the house. Looking to see about virtualizing the router some day, possibly. Anyway, here's the upgrade 😁

Only down side is our processors currently are nice 2.8 ghz (max turbo) 12MB-cached full i7 xeons, but they're only on 1066 mhz ram controllers. So later I'll have to upgrade the chips again to get in to 1333 mhz ram. This ram can do it, need to upgrade chips.

Well that's the ram for now anyway. And now I wait until next year for better processors.

Nice. I need to get 48GB into my HP Z800 - I got it with 32gb (8x4GB) witch I found weird - then I noticed the memory is configured in dual-channel instead of the regular triple channel (regular for 1366 anyway), with 2 slots per CPU left unpopulated. Gotta get 4x4GB of ECC DDR3...