Common searches

History of VOGONS

Topic actions

First post, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think it would be interesting to discuss how far this site has come over the last fourteen years.

It'd be cool if there was a wiki page on this.

Here's what I know just from passive research:

--- Some guys on the VDMSound forums (which I don't think exists anymore... was it simply decided to absorb it into VOGONS at some point?) thought they should make a forum to discuss getting old games to work on new systems. These guys were (who?). They called it OGONS at first.
--- These guys all were fans of Adams's Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and the decision was made to name all the subforums after various stuff in that book.
--- When did the forum actually come online as vogons.zetafleet.com and who was the one who actually set it up? (I could take a wild guess and say: Snover on June 29, 2002 but that's unsubstantiated)
--- The forum began life as "OGONS" and was quickly changed to VOGONS for obvious reasons here: Just letting you know I'm here now...
The members who joined within the first couple days were:
- Snover (was he known as "Administrator" early on?)
- DosFreak
- Stiletto
- Nicht Ser Gut
- Harekiet
- vladr
- Xorcist
- leolo
(which of these were the original founding members? I assume they all came from VDMSound forums)
--- When did this forum become a hub for DOSBox support and development? Did the DOSBox developers just end up congregating here? Were any of the original founders already working on DOSBox when they joined?
--- Somewhere down the line, the original purpose of the forum expanded to include retro/vintage hardware and making that stuff work as well. This has slowly become the primary function of the forum in spite of the title. (when did this start happening? Was it intentional? Did people not want the forum to go that direction, but it did anyway?)
--- Also somewhere down the line the forum was moved from zetafleet to having its own URL, vogons.org. When did this happen?
--- Over the years VOGONS has become one of the most important PC retrocomputing hubs on the Internet.

On a side note, why was the poll feature discontinued? I noticed it showed up on a few very early threads but is no longer in existence. I've often thought it would be nice to have.

Last edited by keenmaster486 on 2023-03-30, 06:04. Edited 1 time in total.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 1 of 26, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Back in 2002 most people were still rocking a Pentium III which on OGONS... sorry, VOGONS it is considered as a dusty old retro computer these days. 😀

I definitely agree that Vogons lacks a Poll feature, this is a great way to visually gather information.

https://zetafleet.com/about.html

Colin Snover wrote:

I also started one of the now-largest retrocomputing communities, VOGONS, in 2002.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/colinsnover

If I would take a wild guess, Stiletto is our man.

my important / useful posts are here

Reply 2 of 26, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So you think that Snover setup a sockpuppet account to hold a conversation with his real account? Here is the very first account. Topic one would have been an automatically generated post from installing phpBB.

Worst Memory Pig...ever

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 3 of 26, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
collector wrote:

So you think that Snover setup a sockpuppet account to hold a conversation with his real account?

Wait... who said that and where? And which account is the sockpuppet? I'm confused 😕

Reply 4 of 26, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice topic. I'll be reading with interest. 😀 And I'll wager I'm the one that brings down the collective IQ of the forum. After I all, I *did* choose the handle "clueless1". 😉

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 5 of 26, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
keenmaster486 wrote:
collector wrote:

So you think that Snover setup a sockpuppet account to hold a conversation with his real account?

Wait... who said that and where? And which account is the sockpuppet? I'm confused 😕

This was a long running joke/idea. look though older posts and you may find people talking about it.

TBH, I been on this site a lot longer then my account has. Unfortunately I stop coming to the site a few years back and forgot my account info, I don't even recall my user name at the time.

Reply 6 of 26, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well dude! There's got to be a way to dig up your old account. Maybe an admin could even merge them.

Surely you remember some topics you posted in or created... do some creative google searches.

Reply 7 of 26, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
keenmaster486 wrote:

Well dude! There's got to be a way to dig up your old account. Maybe an admin could even merge them.

Surely you remember some topics you posted in or created... do some creative google searches.

It would be nice, but I really don't remember much from back then. I had some blood flow problems in my head and suffered some memory loss. I was more of a lurker anyway, I think I had very few posts.

Reply 8 of 26, by bbhaag

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Interesting thread. I always thought Vogons was a direct tie to HHGTTG. I never realized it could also stand for very old games on new systems which makes sense I guess. Pretty cool, I didn't realize this forum dated back to 2002. It's a lot older than I though.

Reply 9 of 26, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I came over from the VDMS forum. Strange that VDMS has been dead for so long now... I wonder what Vlad does these days...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 10 of 26, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dominus wrote:

I came over from the VDMS forum. Strange that VDMS has been dead for so long now... I wonder what Vlad does these days...

Well I came over from 3dfxZone forum, since the forum didn't appear to be very active, so I asked my questions here. Then I got to know people like 5u3 (3dftx stuff), Great Hierophant (MIDI and the likes), and Malik (Sound Blaster things).

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 13 of 26, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I came here because of driver issues with SB-Live on ICH7 using MS-Dos-6.22.
(or something like that, do no really remember that clearly)

On the first post on Vogons, I think I have searched that after sniffing out that it
all started on another forum.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 15 of 26, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A very interesting thread. I didn't know that VOGONS was spawned from VDMSound. I also didn't know that Stiletto is the founder and our gracious benefactor. Thanks!

Me? I think I started lurking around here in 2006 or so. I guess I didn't really consider what I was doing as "legacy" because I had just been continuously using the same systems I always had. There was nothing "retro" about it to me. Sometime around 2009/2010 I actively started making an effort to preserve my older hardware and make archives of my software. That was probably the point that this officially became a "hobby" for me. I don't know why I didn't set up an account here sooner, but I'm pretty antisocial, so that probably explains it. This is also the only forum I participate on anymore.

Reply 16 of 26, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
KT7AGuy wrote:

A very interesting thread. I didn't know that VOGONS was spawned from VDMSound. I also didn't know that Stiletto is the founder and our gracious benefactor. Thanks!

Me? I think I started lurking around here in 2006 or so. I guess I didn't really consider what I was doing as "legacy" because I had just been continuously using the same systems I always had. There was nothing "retro" about it to me. Sometime around 2009/2010 I actively started making an effort to preserve my older hardware and make archives of my software. That was probably the point that this officially became a "hobby" for me. I don't know why I didn't set up an account here sooner, but I'm pretty antisocial, so that probably explains it. This is also the only forum I participate on anymore.

No, Snover started the board, hosted on his zetafleet.com domain. It has since been turned over to Qbix with the domain vogons.org

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 18 of 26, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't remember where I came from...

clueless1 wrote:

Nice topic. I'll be reading with interest. 😀 And I'll wager I'm the one that brings down the collective IQ of the forum. After I all, I *did* choose the handle "clueless1". 😉

Not really. Being aware of one's own cluelessness means you have more clue then any realtime cluelessnessers 🤣

keenmaster486 wrote:

-?- When did the forum actually come online as vogons.zetafleet.com and who was the one who actually set it up? (I could take a wild guess and say: Snover on June 29, 2002 but that's unsubstantiated)
So there. Thoughts, comments, suggestions, criticisms, or philosophical musings, anyone?

I think the zetafleet lasted until maybe a year or 2 ago? Was quite a recent change iirc.

Tetrium wrote:
Hello all! […]
Show full quote

Hello all!

After having lurked on these forums for a long while now, it's time to participate a bit more actively 😉

Recently I've been going through my old AT mobo's and some of those have an ATX power connector. I have no previous experience with actually using an ATX power supply on such a mobo but it seems ATX psu's fit right into AT computer cases.

It seems difficult to find any information about using an ATX psu with an older mobo.
I have a couple 235W units I'm probably not gonna be using anyway as I already have plenty ATX psu's for my ATX mobo's so I was considering using those with my AT mobo's.

Does anybody here have some experience about using ATX psu's with AT mobo's and cases they could share with me?

Edit:woops...maybe I should've posted this in the 'Marvin' forum instead of here? Admin, plz move if you think that´s best

Link to my actual first post ever here: AT mobo with ATX power supply

And apparently I wasn't the only one who was already lurking here for a long time before finally registering 😁
And for some reason I never left, I think the quality of the community has something to do with it 🤣

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 19 of 26, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Anyway, I actually tried DOSBOX way before I joined Vogons. I think it was late 2002 or early 2003, when I tried DOSBOX to play Microprose's Task Force 1942. Of course, everything was very slow, so I didn't bother more.

I also remember trying VDMSound for Quest For Glory IV in the same year. I'm not sure why I didn't try VDMSound for Task Force 1942, it seems the game doesn't run on VDMSound at all.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.