VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Untitled.png

I don't get it, 4 people use that network and are fine with the speeds. Just crazy.

Reply 2 of 21, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
PeterLI wrote:

It all depends. I played AOE2HD for months on an iPhone with a T-Mobile throttled WIFI hotspot connection (<128KBPS). No issues. 😀

Email, web browsing, efax, downloading and uploading files from a remote server.

Reply 6 of 21, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If that's what they're used to, then no biggy. They probably all aren't hitting it hard at the same time, or they'd notice. If they were, then a decent QoS setup would probably make them happy again. Most routers have some basic QoS capability, for sure DD-WRT or Tomato, and if you have a linux or bsd-based firewall, you are in heaven. 😎

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 7 of 21, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

No QoS and they mostly use it at the same time.
How they get by is beyond me. I never even had them complain about it.
Most of the sites they use are web portal sites with lots of js and flash junk.

I guess they do get payed by the hour.

Reply 8 of 21, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's insane! I print files over network printer that are anywhere from 1.5-5 Mb in size! I can just live with the 5-6 Mbps I get to my office (others get around 15-20 Mbps).

Reply 9 of 21, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When I first had Internet, 28.800 baud had to do.
Then I upgraded to 33.600 and later to 56K, I even made the V.90 -> V.92 step 😁
Finally over 10 years ago I got 1Mbit/s broadband

I now have 25Mbit/s and that is not fast enough 😁

Reply 13 of 21, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jade Falcon wrote:

I was remotely working on a computer on this network today, did a speed test.
No one was on the network... 468ms ping .6dl .1up

Good enough for UT99 😉

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 14 of 21, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
clueless1 wrote:
Jade Falcon wrote:

I was remotely working on a computer on this network today, did a speed test.
No one was on the network... 468ms ping .6dl .1up

Good enough for UT99 😉

Yeah but the test server was less then 10miles away.

Reply 15 of 21, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Arctic wrote:
When I first had Internet, 28.800 baud had to do. Then I upgraded to 33.600 and later to 56K, I even made the V.90 -> V.92 step […]
Show full quote

When I first had Internet, 28.800 baud had to do.
Then I upgraded to 33.600 and later to 56K, I even made the V.90 -> V.92 step 😁
Finally over 10 years ago I got 1Mbit/s broadband

I now have 25Mbit/s and that is not fast enough 😁

When things become faster we accept it as the "new" normality and again it immediately get slow. Back in the 56K times I thought it was fast enough and still impressive. Now you need octa core pc and megabits net to just -read- web pages in the same time you spent back then.

Reply 16 of 21, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

True, but back then most images were 640x480/800x600 in size and the video clips were mpeg-1 quality instead of the full HD and 4K we have now. There's no limit as to how much bandwidth you can use when everything grows in size.

Reply 17 of 21, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
sf78 wrote:

True, but back then most images were 640x480/800x600 in size and the video clips were mpeg-1 quality instead of the full HD and 4K we have now. There's no limit as to how much bandwidth you can use when everything grows in size.

Indeed, web pages used to be almost nothing but text as well. Today having 56k would suck. in 1996 it would have been nice.

Reply 19 of 21, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sf78 wrote:

Right but it's not only about multimedia, it's also how overloaded and complex web pages became without any useful reader advantages. It's like launching a billion polygons game to just read the text written on a texture at the end of the level.
Maybe I'm old but I liked the idea of a web as a newspaper with fast light text and media without absurd continuous "120fps" animations while media running on a side while everything react to the mouse etc etc....and at the end of this "benchmark" webpages hasjust few text and many other pages to reload to just read a whole article.