VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 62, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chinny22 wrote:

Last few years I've been getting all my old Lego shipped from Oz to the UK. Now its all here I'm replacing missing/broken bits to make complete models again.

Speaking of Lego, have you heard about Tente? Do you know where to buy Tente's missing bits?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 21 of 62, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
chinny22 wrote:

Last few years I've been getting all my old Lego shipped from Oz to the UK. Now its all here I'm replacing missing/broken bits to make complete models again.

Speaking of Lego, have you heard about Tente? Do you know where to buy Tente's missing bits?

Hehe I used to buy Tente when I was a kid in Jakarta! From Sarinah Jaya (IIRC) before it caught fire in about 1985. Probably can only get parts from Spain now.

Reply 22 of 62, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chinny22 wrote:

No sorry, didn't even know it existed till now! Must not been available in Australia? Kinda cool models though

Reply 23 of 62, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
JidaiGeki wrote:

Hehe I used to buy Tente when I was a kid in Jakarta! From Sarinah Jaya (IIRC) before it caught fire in about 1985. Probably can only get parts from Spain now.

Wait, you mean on the toys floor, where they provided a Lego table and free Lego bits for us kids to play with? There was no Tente on that floor, only Lego.

chinny22 wrote:

No sorry, didn't even know it existed till now! Must not been available in Australia? Kinda cool models though

Tente is less flexible than Lego, but the assembled result is more convincing. It is French-made, if I recall correctly.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 24 of 62, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JidaiGeki wrote:

Wait, you mean on the toys floor, where they provided a Lego table and free Lego bits for us kids to play with? There was no Tente on that floor, only Lego.

You're absolutely right! And I wouldn't have remembered had you not mentioned it - it was in another part of the store, a strange place like antiques or textiles - and I kept dragging my parents there to check it hadn't been sold while I saved up. From memory it was 25,000Rp and I paid with a 10,000 note and the rest in coins 🤣 Tente warships are awesome, I only have a cruise liner as well as the hovercraft though. The finer parts like masts were very delicate however so most will be destroyed by now. Tente space was a bit somber, Lego space was much cooler. Did the Lego section have a model Garuda Pancasila by the way? Vaguely recall a large yellow model which wasn't a Lego man.
We drove past SJ when it was still smouldering, I was sad that the toys were all likely destroyed. We never went back IIRC. Only just found out the fire was set by activists!

chinny22 wrote:

Tente is less flexible than Lego, but the assembled result is more convincing. It is French-made, if I recall correctly.

Spanish 😉 I spotted some on eBay.es a couple of years ago but decided to save money instead.

Though .... http://m.ebay.es/itm/TENTE-MAR-PORTAAVIONES-T … 3%257Ciid%253A5 ... must resist ...

And I have this one - http://m.ebay.es/itm/TENTE-MAR-TRANSATLANTICO … e%257Ciid%253A5 - though not so complete

Reply 25 of 62, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
JidaiGeki wrote:

You're absolutely right! And I wouldn't have remembered had you not mentioned it - it was in another part of the store, a strange place like antiques or textiles - and I kept dragging my parents there to check it hadn't been sold while I saved up. From memory it was 25,000Rp and I paid with a 10,000 note and the rest in coins 🤣 Tente warships are awesome, I only have a cruise liner as well as the hovercraft though.

Recently I bought the aircraft carrier, but too busy to finish it. Perhaps next weekend, not this weekend because I'm going to be busy as well. 🙁

JidaiGeki wrote:

The finer parts like masts were very delicate however so most will be destroyed by now. Tente space was a bit somber, Lego space was much cooler. Did the Lego section have a model Garuda Pancasila by the way? Vaguely recall a large yellow model which wasn't a Lego man.

Yes, I vaguely remember the Lego Garuda Pancasila as well. Cool thing. I'd like to have one in my home office, if I just have the time to work it!

JidaiGeki wrote:

We drove past SJ when it was still smouldering, I was sad that the toys were all likely destroyed. We never went back IIRC. Only just found out the fire was set by activists!

Heard that too. Pasaraya had changed drastically after the fire. Yes, it's larger now, but it's not the nostalgic place of my childhood anymore.

Anyway, I was an 'Anak Selatan' --'Southern Kid', when translated literally. It was the slang commonly used to designate us who lived our teens and/or childhood in certain Southern Jakarta areas, mostly Kemang and Cipete. Our hangout places included Blok M, Lipstick rollerskate discotheque, Aquarius music store in Mahakam street, Kem Chicks, Expresso restaurant (near Ragusa drug store, across Kem Chicks), American Hamburger, and of course Pasaraya. Most of the places I've mentioned have gone though, but American Hamburger is still there. In fact, I had a lunch there last month.

Now I lived in Bandung, but whenever I visited Jakarta, I always try to drop by Blok M just out of nostalgia. Pasaraya has changed a lot that the place is barely recognizable, but there is a new building called 'Blok M Square', whose basement floor contains nostalgic stuff from the 80's, from audio cassette to 80's comics and books. You do remember Enid Blyton's The Famous Five, don't you?

Reply 26 of 62, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote:
Last few years I've been getting all my old Lego shipped from Oz to the UK. Now its all here I'm replacing missing/broken bits t […]
Show full quote

Last few years I've been getting all my old Lego shipped from Oz to the UK. Now its all here I'm replacing missing/broken bits to make complete models again. Latest sets would have been round 95/96. Funny enough it was getting our 1st PC (which I have also brought over) was what finally killed my interest in Lego.
That gets expensive quick though, and once I've built a model I'm not really sure what to do with it (don't have space to display them) so go though periods of Lego interest, where as computers are year round.

Keeping eye out for parts to do up mums 74 Superbeetle which she had since new. That's promised to me someday and have plans to do it up.

Have a few old clocks round the house as well but don't really collect them

Lego for me, too... I was an avid collector and (of course player/builder) till 2011 when I decided to stop because of budget concerns (they are sooo expensive) and space requirements. It's my most favorite thing since my early childhood, and now I have a collection of about 900+ sets and about 200k pieces. Since 2011, I only buy for my daughter (she likes them, too). Mostly pink and purple friends stuff, though. 🤣

http://brickset.com/profile/sgore

I'm quite sure you already know it, but Bricklink is a great source for anything Lego, especially for obtaining old lost/missing/broken pieces.

Last edited by tayyare on 2017-02-20, 14:22. Edited 1 time in total.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 27 of 62, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote:

No sorry, didn't even know it existed till now! Must nit been available in Australia? Kinda cool models though

Don't ever say that again! It's Blasphemy! 🤣

10179-1.jpg?200709280259
10124-1.jpg?200306200144
10226-1.jpg?201201160157
10255-1.jpg?201610170543
10252-1.jpg?201606140214
10213-1.jpg?201012240706

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 28 of 62, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been a collector of a lot of things....

Vintage Electronics - Comptuers are just a subset of that. I started off with Vintage Consoles in the mid 1990's when I was 10-12ish, with the Atari 2600 first, then the NES, then SNES, then Intellivision around the same time I got into Pre-Pentium PCs. More recently I've started purging off the stuff in that category I don't use because I'm less of a collector now and more of a player, plus I just don't have the space I used to. I've moved into maintaining a small collection of vintage move player devices including one of Sony's first portable Betamax players (with all the original stuff including a magazine review of it from 1982, the last owner must have REALLY loved that thing), and a Pioneer CLD-900 LaserDisc player from 1984 with remote that we actually use fairly often. One of my wife's most prized gifts from me is that and the first three Star Wars movies released on limited edition LaserDisc.

Guitars - Another thing I'm slowing down on. I've had some vintage guitars like a 1970 Matsamoku Built Telecaster copy and a 1966 Fender Mustang but I find the desireable vintage stuff boring. I like a lot of the obscure junky stuff from the 1960's-1990's because some of those guitars were interesting re-interpretations of American designs, or they were just mysteriously so bad and weird like the Harmony H-802/804 "Student Electric Guitars" from the 1960's to 2004. I also mod those and trick them out as much as I do my computers. I also like a lot of obscure or short-lived signature models, things like the Hondo Paul Dean II designed by Loverboy's lead guitarist and the only signature guitar Hondo ever made (they are very rare), and the Fender Jag-Stang designed by Kurt Cobain which has become one of my favorite models, the Jaguar is my #1 favorite stock and off the rack though. A night of retro-PC-ing I'm often seen with my Jag-Stang or Jaguar in my lap noodling around occasionally.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 29 of 62, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
tayyare wrote:
Don't ever say that again! It's Blasphemy! :lol: […]
Show full quote
chinny22 wrote:

No sorry, didn't even know it existed till now! Must nit been available in Australia? Kinda cool models though

Don't ever say that again! It's Blasphemy! 🤣

10179-1.jpg?200709280259
10124-1.jpg?200306200144
10226-1.jpg?201201160157
10255-1.jpg?201610170543
10252-1.jpg?201606140214
10213-1.jpg?201012240706

No, seriously, Tente is more convincing, because its building bricks are more "custom-made" for a specific built (helicopter, car, etc). But of course, Tente is less flexible.

Reply 30 of 62, by vladstamate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I collect National Geographic magazines as well as old books (and a bit of comic books too).

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7HbC_nq8t1S9l7qGYL0mTA
Collection: http://www.digiloguemuseum.com/index.html
Emulator: https://sites.google.com/site/capex86/
Raytracer: https://sites.google.com/site/opaqueraytracer/

Reply 31 of 62, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vladstamate wrote:

I collect National Geographic magazines as well as old books (and a bit of comic books too).

Intriguing. Which National Geographic issue is the most collectible?

When it goes to CGW, I think the most collectible issue is the one with 150 best gamea of all time.

Reply 32 of 62, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just received 6 National Geographic magazines from the 30's today 😀

I'm going to take a wild, wild guess and say June 1985.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 33 of 62, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keenmaster486 wrote:

Just received 6 National Geographic magazines from the 30's today 😀

I'm going to take a wild, wild guess and say June 1985.

What happened in June 1985?

Reply 36 of 62, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Beegle wrote:

Photo and film cameras (8mm, 16mm), and vinyl records.

Bingo. Me too, but I'm not so much a collector as I am a user of these things 😀

Reply 37 of 62, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Beegle wrote:

Speaking of film cameras, are films still available for sale?

A friend of mine still using film camera in 2007; he said it yields better colors than digital camera. But it was like, ten years ago. I wonder if art photographer are still using film cameras now.

Reply 38 of 62, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Beegle wrote:

Speaking of film cameras, are films still available for sale?

A friend of mine still using film camera in 2007; he said it yields better colors than digital camera. But it was like, ten years ago. I wonder if art photographer are still using film cameras now.

Film is making a huge resurgence right now.

Kodak has pulled out of bankruptcy and is actually starting to reintroduce old films that they discontinued, starting with the Ektachrome slide film.
Fujifilm has been staying pretty steady with film manufacturing, especially their instant film which has become a big hit.
Several other companies have been starting or have started and are making good success in the industry - for instance, Lomography (been around for a while), FILM Ferrania, Ars-Imago, etc.

And as for film yielding better colors than digital - the answer is, it depends on the film and it depends on the skill of the photographer.

Color print film has an insane dynamic range. You could point it at the sun, expose for the shadows, and still see detail in the rest of the image. Try that with a digital camera and the whole picture gets blown out.

Color reversal film ("slide" film, positive instead of negative image) is where you get the "colors of pure awesomeness", in my opinion. The advantage here is that what you get back from the lab is the actual film you shot in your camera - nothing more, nothing less (cause you don't have to scan it in to reverse the colors). So you see exactly what you shot. There's nothing quite like viewing a color slide on a light table or magnifier - the colors just pop out at you, and they have exceptional clarity.

And then you have black and white which is tons of fun but doesn't shine against digital really as much. Lots of dynamic range here as well.

I should also point out that the actual "resolution" of film - not what you get from the scanner, but the actual microscopic "grain" of the film - is something on the order of at least several dozen megapixels. It's probably higher though (some have said 175 MP for 35mm, ~500 MP for medium format). Anyway, no DSLR even comes close to that. So you're limited by how good of a scanner you have - or with color slides, you simply project them and enjoy 100% of the resolution in all its glory.

Reply 39 of 62, by FuzzyLogic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Speaking of cameras... I collect (or collected) Zeiss cameras. It started with my grandfather's Zeiss he picked up in Europe in the late 30s. Now I have a few Ikontas and Super Ikontas in A, B, and C formats. I also have a couple of Zeiss 35mm cameras. My favorites are the B models because I love the square shape and I can look at my photos on a Rollei medium format slide projector. It used to be easy to get your film developed, but those places are going away. I've developed slide film many times; it's not difficult with the right tools. I don't even bother with negative film because it is too much of a hassle to print.

super1.jpg
Filename
super1.jpg
File size
78.34 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

This Super Ikonta works great. The lens is immaculate, but it has a few Zeiss bumps.

super2.jpg
Filename
super2.jpg
File size
83.96 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The body on this early Super Ikonta is nearly perfect. Many years ago I had it CLA'ed by a man who served in WWII. He got noticeably emotional when I brought it in. I'm sure he had seen quite a few back then. Needless to say, he took great care in adjusting it.