VOGONS

Common searches

Windows 10 and Windows 7

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 40 of 57, by 95DosBox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Azarien wrote:
95DosBox wrote:

assuming W10 can run all W7 software. 😀

I've yet to find something that doesn't. It's rather the other way around; compatibility with 9x-era games is better on 10 than 7.

W10 has better 9X compatibility for games? Is this natively run without any modifications? What about 16bit and 8bit software?

I had one XP/Vista/W7 compatible Blu-ray player software that didn't like W10. The older version worked fine in W7 and earlier. Only the newer one would work on W10. It's not even a game so that was annoying. Later I found out the Intel HD Graphics drivers also don't work with the software. Double whammy.

Last edited by 95DosBox on 2017-05-28, 23:31. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 41 of 57, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
collector wrote:
KT7AGuy wrote:

Windows 10 Won’t Run Games Using SafeDisc Or Securom DRM

This is actually a good thing and can easily be worked around with a no-CD patch.

I'm just not comfortable acquiescing to an OS that requires me to use a no-CD crack to run older software. Daemon Tools is one thing, but being forced to use a crack is another thing entirely.

Of course, this sort of thing is why I'm doing my gaming/entertainment/testing on systems other than my main PC nowadays.

Reply 42 of 57, by kode54

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Azarien wrote:
But they are numbered, in a year-month scheme: […]
Show full quote

But they are numbered, in a year-month scheme:

Windows 10 RTM - 1507
November Update - 1511
Anniversary Update - 1607
Creators Update - 1703

Plus there are separate build numbers in the form of 10.0.xxxxx.

True, but I was referring to numbered as increment by one every release service packs. Yeah, these are pretty much the service packs everyone is used to seeing with previous Windows versions, except that they seem to be packing enough into each release so it's practically a new Windows version with each major update.

Let's hope this doesn't lead to subscriptions for updates, which would be not much different from buying a new Windows release every few years, except they probably want you on the hook for maybe $100 every year.

KT7AGuy wrote:
collector wrote:
KT7AGuy wrote:

Windows 10 Won’t Run Games Using SafeDisc Or Securom DRM

This is actually a good thing and can easily be worked around with a no-CD patch.

I'm just not comfortable acquiescing to an OS that requires me to use a no-CD crack to run older software. Daemon Tools is one thing, but being forced to use a crack is another thing entirely.

Of course, this sort of thing is why I'm doing my gaming/entertainment/testing on systems other than my main PC nowadays.

You're more willing to burden your operating system down with DRM crap than to patch it away?

Reply 43 of 57, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm perfectly OK with running a crack. I do it with many titles to avoid the cumbersome DRM. However, I don't like being forced to do it. There are also some titles that simply don't have a good crack available. Sacrifice patch 3 immediately springs to mind, for example.

I suppose this is why we maintain all the old Win9x and WinXP systems.

Reply 44 of 57, by 95DosBox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kode54 wrote:
Azarien wrote:
But they are numbered, in a year-month scheme: […]
Show full quote

But they are numbered, in a year-month scheme:

Windows 10 RTM - 1507
November Update - 1511
Anniversary Update - 1607
Creators Update - 1703

Plus there are separate build numbers in the form of 10.0.xxxxx.

I would rather they make sure the bugs are worked out rather than adding new stuff that has to be fixed all the time and add more bloat for features I didn't want/need unless it was something useful like USB 4.0 or Wireless USB technology that I wouldn't mind. Refining the code to make it more efficient and faster would be a welcome patch.

Reply 46 of 57, by 95DosBox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kode54 wrote:

I also recall at least a few vendors, such as GOG.com, resorting to distributing scene cracked copies of games because they don't have access to the source code to those games.

As long as GOG had permission from the owner I guess that would be fine with me. Most of my originals were cracked back in the day and if they weren't they would feel restrained always having to look up a word or code before you could play it.

Reply 47 of 57, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kode54 wrote:

Let's hope this doesn't lead to subscriptions for updates, which would be not much different from buying a new Windows release every few years, except they probably want you on the hook for maybe $100 every year.

That's unlikely. The huge numbers of unpatched Windows systems out there already are hardly good PR for Microsoft when they go down.

Reply 48 of 57, by olddos25

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Leave your discussions about Windows 10 in another topic,cause I just wanted to see if installing Windows 7 alongside Windows 10 was a good idea.I didn't expected this topic to have so many off-topic replies.

Just another user that likes old OSes and videogames, nothing interesting to see here...
Other places to find me:
DraStic: http://drastic-ds.com (as dsattorney)

Reply 49 of 57, by kode54

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yikes, installing two Windows versions on the same machine? That may have made sense, with two separate hard drives, when it was Windows 98 and Windows 2000. There is very little compelling reason, to me at least, to keeping Windows 7 around, except for compatibility testing.

Reply 51 of 57, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
awgamer wrote:

You guys must do nothing of consequence on your computers to not care about running on spy os.

You must have delusions of grandeur if you think that anyone gives a toss about what you do on yours.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 52 of 57, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's not just a question of those who are meant to be able to compromise the OS, what about those who are not. I don't care so much about TLAs, MS, or whomever being able to keylog my computer (although I do think such capability would be an overreach and a breach of trust respectively). If the latest and greatest toolkit from Boris the Hacker can use similar facilities, it becomes more of a problem.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 53 of 57, by awgamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:
awgamer wrote:

You guys must do nothing of consequence on your computers to not care about running on spy os.

You must have delusions of grandeur if you think that anyone gives a toss about what you do on yours.

It's not too late to go play in traffic.

Reply 54 of 57, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I learned long ago that those who are unable to recognize the "you have nothing to hide if you aren't doing anything wrong" fallacy aren't worth debating.

In time, so shall you. Leave them be. Henceforth, practice due diligence and guard your own interests.

(Logic 101 should be required of all post-grammar-school students.)

Reply 55 of 57, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I learnt long ago to take everything in moderation. I'm very careful with my personal details and those of my children, but avoiding a modern Microsoft operating system for fear being "spied" on is extreme in my opinion. So I'm a minuscule cluster of zeros and ones in a galaxy of metadata - oh noes.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.