VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So having been pretty impressed with Wolfenstein: New Order and Wolfenstein: Old Blood I went ahead and bought Wolfenstein II: New Colossus.

I'm not sure how I feel about it exactly...I think they are using the same engine but it is almost like something is wrong with the enemy AI, I don't recall them getting stuck on stuff as much in the other 2 games. There are other things about it that just struck me as odd. I don't really want to put any spoilers in if you were planning to buy it but there is a scene at the end with BJ's girl where I just sat there and said "what in the actual F did I just see? Why did they feel the need to put that in the game?".

They also completely changed the mechanics on the Laserkraftwerk, so no more slicing holes with it.
Other weapons like the machine pistol become mostly useless later on. I relied mainly on the Sturmgewehr, LKW and shotgun for most of the game. The shotgun is almost ridiculous if you upgrade it all the way. For some reason I feel like they reduced the rate of fire on the LKW, at least it seemed that way. Or maybe one of the upgrades does that as a side effect.

As far as the rest of the game goes: I felt like they were constantly flip-flopping between being preachy and attempting to be the grindhouse movie equivalent of an action game.

The actual combat elements are still pretty good but the story I give a 5 or 6 out of 10 whereas I felt New Order was more like an 8 or 9 story-wise and a solid 9 for the combat.

And now seeing it on Steam for $30 not 6 weeks after I bought it, I feel like their sales numbers must be absolute crap for them to discount it so steeply so quickly. I probably should have waited, I predict it will be at $30 off sale and $15 on sale within 6 months.

So yeah I guess if you really really like Wolfenstein and $30 is not too much, go get it...I might have felt less ambivalent about it if I had bought at that price. I managed to get a discount but even so paid like $60-ish for the deluxe edition.

Reply 2 of 3, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This video really has hit the nail on the head for me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-RzmFTaWCc

edit (oops wrong video)

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 3 of 3, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I lost interest after an update made the game unplayable and corrupted my save file. 50% done and was just starting to enjoy it

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1