VOGONS

Common searches

Ebay thread goodbye thread

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 40 of 205, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kithylin wrote:

At least I got my two big posts deleted..

I wasn't planning on caring about this discussion or getting into it in any way, but this actually made me mad. Kithylin, your contributions to this forum have been immensely useful and appreciated and it's juvenile, petty, and ungentlemanly of you to delete your tutorials over the deletion of a thread that doesn't even fall into the original purpose of VOGONS.

/MOD EDIT Thread deleted. See my (DosFreak) post below

I couldn't find the other one. Too bad we've lost some good information.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 43 of 205, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keenmaster486 wrote:
I wasn't planning on caring about this discussion or getting into it in any way, but this actually made me mad. Kithylin, your c […]
Show full quote
kithylin wrote:

I wasn't planning on caring about this discussion or getting into it in any way, but this actually made me mad. Kithylin, your contributions to this forum have been immensely useful and appreciated and it's juvenile, petty, and ungentlemanly of you to delete your tutorials over the deletion of a thread that doesn't even fall into the original purpose of VOGONS.

I've restored the PCI-express tutorial here.

I couldn't find the other one. Too bad we've lost some good information.

I think you should remove or change your notice at the top of the new thread about why you reposted it or you'll end up getting questions about what happened to make him mad, and thus the virus spreads... Maybe just attribute it to the original writer and leave it at that?

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 44 of 205, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BeginnerGuy wrote:

I think you should remove or change your notice at the top of the new thread about why you reposted it or you'll end up getting questions about what happened to make him mad, and thus the virus spreads... Maybe just attribute it to the original writer and leave it at that?

Good point. I was going to edit my reply to reflect this as well, but the edit button does not show on my post. Don't know if the mods disabled editing...

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 46 of 205, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote:

Good point. I was going to edit my reply to reflect this as well, but the edit button does not show on my post. Don't know if the mods disabled editing...

Looks like they did since I noticed the Edit and Delete buttons were gone when I posted about my V2 acquisition.

Anyway, my opinion on the eBay thread closing is so-so, I used to check that thread daily to see if any good deals popped up, yet I ended up not buying anything I saw simply because I don't need it, I agree that there are good reasons on why it died. 😐

P.S. I started writing this before keenmaster486 posted his response above. Just to counter on what I said about the Edit button going away.

Reply 47 of 205, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I will miss the thread, BUT Vogons still is and always will be a HUGE resource for me. Dege, who works tirelessly on updating dgVoodoo2 to work with more and more old game titles and asks for basically nothing in return. The guy is endless in his generosity of time and coding. Ripsaw8080 who codes patches for games that are decades old like it's nothing at all. I mean come on, Ripsaw8080 patched a two decade old bug for one of my favorite DOS titles, Terminator Future Shock. The list goes on. Vcfed, which luckybob introduced me to, is also a great forum and has its strengths as well and I will be over there for some Ebay and hardware posts. To trash a forum, though, because the mods think it has lost focus from their original vision is childish. Vogons offers a tremendous amount to the vintage PC community and asks for VERY little in return.

Reply 48 of 205, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've rarely used the ebay thread, and I've only been active on this forum for two years, but I wanted to share my perspective.

Retro computing community is EXTREMELY nice and really low on drama. I'm not just talking about Vogons, but also Reddit, Amibay, VCF and many other places. I think it's because it's still a fairly niche hobby that most people consider "weird". Is there anyone here who hasn't been called a "hoarder" at least once by their friends and family? So for the most part people here just want to talk about things they like the most — DOS games and vintage hardware. They just want to be accepted by people who share the same interest.

Over the two years I've been here I've asked the most stupid questions that may have seemed obvious to anyone who has spent at least an hour on Vogonswiki — let alone to people who've actually used the hardware back in the day. Yet there wasn't a single time when someone would post a snarky reply like "oh why can't you just google that". People are extremely patient and helpful here, and actually take time to answer questions that have been asked thousands of times. Just notice how many "I want to build a Pentium 166/S3/SB16 machine" posts appear here every day and how many people still go there and help the topic starters.

So my point is, drama is not a common thing on Vogons. Not compared to modern social media or even message boards I've used 10 years ago. So may be that's why people (both mods and users) are overreacting.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 53 of 205, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In regards to the Windows 98 PCI-E thread there's nothing in that thread that hasn't been done elsewhere in more depth if anyone is interested in creating a new guide then they should be able to do so easily assuming they have the hardware and the time.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 54 of 205, by mbbrutman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi. You might know me from my strange PCjr obsession or my work on mTCP. I am also the lead moderator over at vcfed.org.

We have a different set of rules regarding buying and selling but the general prohibition on unnecessary drama and rude behavior is the same. Don't do it. We have a very low tolerance level.

And honestly, we've had to squash some of the eBay threads over the years too. People griping about seller's prices on eBay really is not useful. Nobody is forcing you to buy their stuff. It's a marketplace, and there is not much we can do about it. What I do find valuable is the occasional warning about particular eBay sellers who are behaving badly. But those warnings are actually pretty rare.

As always, buying and selling with other people on the internet is generally a private transaction. vcfed.org does not mediate disputes. We like to see collectors helping collectors, but we are not a party to your transactions.

And lastly, like Vogons, we're a service that people can use for free. But there are guidelines for acceptable behavior. If you don't like the rules/guidelines, then don't use the service. Being anonymous on the internet is not an excuse for exhibiting bad behavior.

Reply 55 of 205, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Honestly if people posted their ebay finds on that facebook group retro machines or Phil's. that seems more fitting TBH. If the ebay thread came back here with REALLY special items. Like once in a decade rare, I'd love to see that.

also, hi mbbrutman!

+1 for what he says. He has slapped me around a few times. <3

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 56 of 205, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

I certain'y won't miss the thread. Vogons won't die over one less thread, that's just drama llama stuff.

I also think such thread, despite useful, wasn't worth the amount of drama there was going on. That and IMHO, a 'share your eBay findings' topic shouldn't be the mere reason people are attracted to an Old gaming/computing forum whose purpose since the beginning of times was never conceived for anything related to trading/selling.

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 57 of 205, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jade Falcon wrote:

EPN links.

WTF are EPN links?

kithylin wrote:

<snip>
I sincerely hope your decision to pull this stupid stunt of closing the ebay thread bites you in the butt and people stop coming to your website. Hopefully some day vogons will just die.

Malice and spite are ugly personality traits. I hope that time and maturity will make you into a better person. In the meantime, I'm glad that you and Jade Falcon will be irritating a different web forum.

Reply 58 of 205, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dammit, hit submit too quickly and I can't go back and edit to add this:

Also, I too enjoyed the eBay thread but never purchased anything that anybody else posted. I liked reading about odd items and posting things that I found, thinking that they might be good for somebody else.

I agree with Qbix. There are better places to have an eBay thread. It looks like VCF has this covered. Like some others have mentioned, I prefer VOGONS because the color scheme is much easier on the eyes. The white background at VCF just makes my eyeballs ache, but I'll give them a shot and check out the eBay and CL threads there.

I don't look at VOGONS in the same way as Reddit or other large forums. This is a niche forum that (usually) attracts older and more mature participants. As jheronimus mentioned, help is almost always given freely and cheerfully here at VOGONS. I don't post in every thread because often somebody else responds faster or better than I can. I post and help out where I can.

VOGONS is the perfect retro/legacy discussion forum for me. I like the way it's laid out, designed, and colored. I'm not going to stop visiting just because the eBay thread is gone. That's just silly and immature. This site has so much more to offer, although I do hope for Phil's eventual return.

Reply 59 of 205, by Beegle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kithylin wrote:

It's literally everything the admins on vogons wouldn't allow us to do here.

Well to be fair, it's not like the rules changed recently. Since the beginning Vogons suggested vehemently we take our trading to other forums who are better equipped to deal with that kind of interaction.

the eBay auction thread was always walking on thin ice regarding the rules, which were broken repeatedly, in addition to generous community disrespect, shaming, arguing and discontent . The more they allowed, the more people abused and other people whined and facepalmed afterwards. Myself included.

Be happy that it lasted that long. And don't take me wrong, it was one of the threads that I visited also more often. I'm sad to see it go as well.
If it was the only thread you came to Vogons for? Well I'm sad to see you go as well. We will meet again on other forums I'm sure!

The more sound cards, the better.
AdLib documentary : Official Thread
Youtube Channel : The Sound Card Database