VOGONS

Common searches

What modern activity did you get up to today?

Topic actions

First post, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is the spinoff of the topic in Marvin :: General Old Hardware - What retro activity did you get up to today?

Today, I upgraded my phone's OS to Oreo from Nougat (when on Wi-Fi and after moving data from the internal memory to an external SD card) as soon as I got home from the office. My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Gold (Verizon). Also played some Assassin's Creed: Syndicate on my Xbox One S (free with gold subscription) connected to my 43" TCL Roku Smart TV UHD HDR. Soon, I'm going to remove the rest of some of the carpet in my parents room (last room to have carpet removed).

Last edited by bjwil1991 on 2018-08-30, 13:29. Edited 1 time in total.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 1 of 999, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just played Monster Truck Madness on the following system. Does it count as modern or retro activity?

garage_system_01.jpg

garage_system_02.jpg

GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7770
CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 620 2.6 GB w/ 3 GB of RAM
Mobo: Biostar A780L3G mATX
Operating System: Windows XP Service Pack II
GPU driver: Catalyst 13.9
AV receiver: Yamaha RX-V663
Power amplifier: Rotel RB-985
Loudspeakers: Bowers & Wilkins DM302

I think the system --including the audio gears-- is pretty modern. Radeon HD 7770 isn't really retro, while the Rotel RB-985, despite being released in 1995, still doesn't count as vintage amplifier. The audio system is plain stereo, by the way, since I have yet to build my mini home theater room for 5.1 (or more) speakers. As such, the Yamaha RX-V663 is basically nothing more than glorified volume control. The sound is pretty good in Pure Direct stereo mode though. Bass is pretty adequate without EQ nor subwoofer, and that's one thing I like with Bowers & Wilkins DM302: their frequency response curve isn't as flat as that of JBL L20T, but LF bump sounds nice. The DM302s are pretty hard to drive, however.

The computer game, of course, is pretty much retro. Here is a screenshot, with 8xSSAA enhanced with EQAA and post-processing MLAA. Alas, the MLAA makes part of the dashboard blur.

Monster_Truck_Madness_007.jpg

For a relatively modern game, you might want to check this.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 3 of 999, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Recording your gaming session with FRAPS and uploading the video to Youtube does count as modern activity, doesn't it?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 5 of 999, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sending Happy Eid-ul-Fitr to families, friends, and business colleagues using WhatsApp. Things like WhatsApp and Instagram count as "modern thing", do they not?

I still remember several years ago where everyone used Yahoo Messenger. Before that, ICQ. And even before that, MIRC. How many people still chat with those things these days? Heck, I remember my MIRC days back in 1998; everyone in the university was addicted to that thing.

Reply 7 of 999, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:

Hey, Kreshna, what was for supper? 😀

Ever heard of ketupat? Usually eaten with gule, which is Indonesian version of mutton curry.

Now, I really have to watch my weight. 🙁

Reply 8 of 999, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A bad disk imager managed to write a floppy disk image to my computer's main SSD, wiping the OS and everything on it.

So today I restored from backup, after loading up Windows from the backup SSD. The backup was from Saturday - not too much work lost... 😒

Reply 9 of 999, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
gdjacobs wrote:

Hey, Kreshna, what was for supper? 😀

Ever heard of ketupat? Usually eaten with gule, which is Indonesian version of mutton curry.

Now, I really have to watch my weight. 🙁

I didn't recognize the name, but I've had the dish before. It's a delicious way to eat rice.

I also found out about Ayam Taliwang while looking it up. Yum.
640px-Ayam_bakar_khas_Taliwang_2.JPG

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 10 of 999, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:

I didn't recognize the name, but I've had the dish before. It's a delicious way to eat rice.

Indeed it is, and that's why I have to watch my weight. I'm such a big eater, you know! 🤣

Reply 11 of 999, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does buying an old game in GoG --instead of buying the boxed version on ebay-- count as retro activity or modern?

Reply 12 of 999, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Made a couple of ROM chips (XT-IDE Universal BIOS and Roland SC-55 Control ROM) that I got today from Digikey. I love Friday's. Checked to see if the upgrade to v1.21 of the Control ROM was successful, and it's a big success. Will test the XT-IDE Universal ROM on my 3Com EtherLink III ISA Card in my Packard Bell Pack-Mate 28 Plus after enabling the ROM in MS-DOS to see how it works.

Reply 13 of 999, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I transferred the contents of my camera's SD card to my computer's hard drive, it was the right time to do it because the SD card (8GB Lexar) was nearly full. Now I can replace that card with a 16GB Sandisk SDHC card.

Reply 14 of 999, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Tested the XT-IDE Universal BIOS on my Packard Bell Pack-Mate 28 Plus after enabling the boot ROM feature in MS-DOS and it works (had to disable the HDD detection in the regular BIOS).

Reply 15 of 999, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

...Indonesian version of mutton curry.

#IWantToGoToThere!

My modern activity today? Does posting on Vogons count?

While not exactly TODAY, I did mount an auxiliary high beam on an RX300, and am also working on putting on an auxiliary reversing lamp and auxiliary rear fog lamp. Not really computer related though.

Today's modern activity is updating a Microsoft Flow to reflect a change in a SharePoint Online calendar's location. Not very glamorous.

Reply 16 of 999, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AlaricD wrote:

#IWantToGoToThere!

Mind your cholesterol level though. 🤣

Seriously, I've been on strict diet involving steamed potato, steamed chicken, and steamed vegetables to reduce my weight after the last Eid-ul-Fitr.

AlaricD wrote:

My modern activity today? Does posting on Vogons count?

While not exactly TODAY, I did mount an auxiliary high beam on an RX300, and am also working on putting on an auxiliary reversing lamp and auxiliary rear fog lamp. Not really computer related though.

Today's modern activity is updating a Microsoft Flow to reflect a change in a SharePoint Online calendar's location. Not very glamorous.

How about capturing screenshots of your modern games? Return to Castle Wolfenstein on Radeon HD 7770, 24xEQAA, 16xAF, plus MLAA.

Wolf_SP_2018-06-27_23-13-20-39.jpg

Reply 17 of 999, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AlaricD wrote:

#IWantToGoToThere!

Mind your cholesterol level though. 🤣

Why are all the delicious things so BAD for you?

Seriously, I've been on strict diet involving steamed potato, steamed chicken, and steamed vegetables to reduce my weight after the last Eid-ul-Fitr.

A former coworker would bring about 40lbs of baklava to share with us at work during/shortly after Eid al-Fitr. Watch our weight in general!

How about capturing screenshots of your modern games? Return to Castle Wolfenstein on Radeon HD 7770, 24xEQAA, 16xAF, plus MLAA.

A great game with solid multiplayer! I used to spend hours on that one.

I've been playing a ton of Skyrim on the PS4, doing a magicka-only, no ARMOR/no WEAPONS build. That's kindof modern!

"The Big Bang. The ultimate hero of low frequency. The divine intergalactical bass drum connecting the tribes of our solar system."
Yello
"Solar Driftwood"

Reply 18 of 999, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AlaricD wrote:

Why are all the delicious things so BAD for you?

Aren't they all? 🤣

On the other hand, it's pretty hard to find delicious but healthy food.

AlaricD wrote:

A former coworker would bring about 40lbs of baklava to share with us at work during/shortly after Eid al-Fitr. Watch our weight in general!

Baklava. Want. :drools:

By the way, do you live in Turkey?

AlaricD wrote:

A great game with solid multiplayer! I used to spend hours on that one.

Indeed, and a nice single player too! Yes, the story is probably cheesy, but really fun! Okay, both Medal of Honor and Call of Duty probably has more engaging gameplay, but neither beats Return to the Castle Wolfenstein in fun factor. Check this out.

AlaricD wrote:

I've been playing a ton of Skyrim on the PS4, doing a magicka-only, no ARMOR/no WEAPONS build. That's kindof modern!

Well I've just contacted a Canadian ebay seller regarding the S/H cost of a HP Elite 8200 small form factor to Indonesia. I'm actually interested to buy two of them: one for Sound Font appliance (Linux-based), while another for my DJing computer, running Virtual DJ software with USB DJ controller.

Since SFF PC is a modern stuff, that counts as modern activity, no?

Reply 19 of 999, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Installing Windows 10 Pro x64 and Xubuntu 17.10.1 LTS x64 on my ASUS X54C on a newly purchased 480GB Inland SSD (had to sacrifice some screws from a broken Dell Inspiron 600m laptop for the SSD, but, I will re-install the HDD in there).