VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Where are you Canadians getting your hydrogen peroxide hair "bleacher" in Canada? I went into the largest hair product supplier/reseller in my region today and requested a creamy product with hydrogen peroxide. They said that you must have a license to buy this product. Apparently, the reason is because people were burning themselves with the hydrogen peroxide hair bleacher product so they licensed it. Help! I just pulled out my 20 year old A/C on wheels and all the plastic is dark yellow and was hoping to do my first retorbrite tests on it while the summer is still here.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 1 of 14, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think you might have to talk with Natural Resources to confirm what's allowed to de-bromine your plastics.
http://www.nrcan.gc.ca/explosives/restricted-components/9985

Hopefully they just limit your amount.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 2 of 14, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hydrogen peroxide at a concentration of at least 30%

Ker-boom!

I was reading that for retrobrite, 6-12% is fine. So, looks like I'm not looking for stuff with explosive concentrations.

Reply 4 of 14, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I went to Pharmaprix (Shoppers Drug Mart) where I found bottles of 30% peroxyde.

Attachments

• 20180717_225433~01.jpg
    Filename
    20180717_225433~01.jpg
    File size
    64.25 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Merlin: MS-4144, AMD5x86-160 32MB, 16GB CF, ZIP100, Orpheus, GUS, S3 VirgeGX 2MB
    Tesla: GA-6BXC, VIA C3 Ezra-T, 256MB, 120GB SATA, YMF744, GUSpnp, Quadro2
    Newton: K6XV3+/66, AMD K6-III+500, 256MB, 32GB SSD, AWE32, Voodoo3

Reply 5 of 14, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Shoppers Drug Mart? I'm guessing that it isn't so simple where I live. I'll take a look at Shoppers though. Is this product in the hair care section? Is it behind the counter? What is the intended purpose of Hydrogen Peroxide 30 volume? And why is it called "30 volume"?

Reply 6 of 14, by Beegle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
feipoa wrote:

What is the intended purpose of Hydrogen Peroxide 30 volume? And why is it called "30 volume"?

Probably a cream to bleach hair?

The more sound cards, the better.
AdLib documentary : Official Thread
Youtube Channel : The Sound Card Database

Reply 10 of 14, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote:

'eh? I can't use surgical "latex" gloves? What's the threshold for surgical gloves? 12%

I have no idea - you'll find out I guess 😈

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 11 of 14, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got this in the hair products isle. I also used it without gloves. Other than a very slight and brief burning sensation, I saw no issues. I just wash my hands after and put on some hand moisturizer. No ill effects that I could see.
As for the 30 volume, I would assume that it just implies that it is 30% by volume rather than weight... Like American beer. 😉

Oh and it was on a regular shelf.

• Merlin: MS-4144, AMD5x86-160 32MB, 16GB CF, ZIP100, Orpheus, GUS, S3 VirgeGX 2MB
    Tesla: GA-6BXC, VIA C3 Ezra-T, 256MB, 120GB SATA, YMF744, GUSpnp, Quadro2
    Newton: K6XV3+/66, AMD K6-III+500, 256MB, 32GB SSD, AWE32, Voodoo3

Reply 12 of 14, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I got my stuff at a local indie drug store (Feipoa: PMed you!) There's no restrictions on it at normal concentrations AFAIK. Indian-run pharmacies or general stores are a good bet because they tend to stock a lot of home hair dying products. The supermarket sells whole bottles of liquid H-peroxide too.

You can handle it with your hands, although it'll sting if it gets in a papercut & will dry out your fingers eventually. Peroxide is often used to disenfect cuts & scrapes. It's not dangerous in normal store-bought concentrations. (Don't eat it though.)

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 13 of 14, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:

And why is it called "30 volume"?

It seems that products that contain hydrogen peroxide use "volumes" to indicate concentration. I vaguely recall from my high school chemistry classes that there was a conversion formula to map between volumes and percentages.

For example, 30 volume means it has a content of 9% of hydrogen peroxide:

https://www.using-hydrogen-peroxide.com/haird … g-peroxide.html

Reply 14 of 14, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
feipoa wrote:

Where are you Canadians getting your hydrogen peroxide hair "bleacher" in Canada? I went into the largest hair product supplier/reseller in my region today and requested a creamy product with hydrogen peroxide. They said that you must have a license to buy this product. Apparently, the reason is because people were burning themselves with the hydrogen peroxide hair bleacher product so they licensed it. Help! I just pulled out my 20 year old A/C on wheels and all the plastic is dark yellow and was hoping to do my first retorbrite tests on it while the summer is still here.

I went to a Sally Beauty Supply shop a year ago for mine. Salon Care 40. It was in Langford across Millstream from the Costco.

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build