VOGONS

First post, by DOSfan1994

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am trying to look for a an alternative way to watch movies on my Windows 3.1 machine. I came across an old video converter called "TRMOOV.EXE." I mean can I convert my AVI movie files to old Apple animation .MOV files so I can watch my movies on Windows 3.1 ? I tried look every where online these days but I can't find with all of those dead websites.

So I was wondering if you have this old software and if you can email me the program I would be happy to try it out Please.

Or if you happen to find it on the website. Please send me a link.

Reply 1 of 10, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can't you use ffmpeg on Linux, Mac or Windows to convert into AVI with the Cinepak codec? That should be playable on Windows using Video for Windows runtime.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 3 of 10, by DOSfan1994

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
root42 wrote:

Can't you use ffmpeg on Linux, Mac or Windows to convert into AVI with the Cinepak codec? That should be playable on Windows using Video for Windows runtime.

Because I have like 2 hour movies that may go up above the Windows 3.1 hard disk limit.

Reply 4 of 10, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DOSfan1994 wrote:
root42 wrote:

Because I have like 2 hour movies that may go up above the Windows 3.1 hard disk limit.

Hm, ok. And how does QuickTime help in this case?

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 5 of 10, by DOSfan1994

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
root42 wrote:
DOSfan1994 wrote:
root42 wrote:

Hm, ok. And how does QuickTime help in this case?

Well I tried the winsurf avi file to a .mov file and it didn’t work. It showed me a blank screen.

Although you did gave me suggestion for a last resort. But let me ask you this. Can ffmpeg convert a 2 hour and

34 min movie avi file with the cinepak codec lower than 2 or 1 gb of disk space? Just asking, because I tried it on

other converters and video editors such as virtualdub and current versions of Sony Vegas on Windows 10. And they

still went over the 1 gig disk space limit. Like I don’t know how and old video codec would do that.

Reply 6 of 10, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Older codecs usually don't compress as much as modern ones. Probably your problemas lies in the codec, not in the tool (not to mention some other tiny details like resolution, sound bitrate... Windows 3.1 vídeos had sub-VGA resolución and sounded like a radio hidden on a can).

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 7 of 10, by DOSfan1994

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Zup wrote:

Older codecs usually don't compress as much as modern ones. Probably your problemas lies in the codec, not in the tool (not to mention some other tiny details like resolution, sound bitrate... Windows 3.1 vídeos had sub-VGA resolución and sounded like a radio hidden on a can).

Have you tried ffmpeg before? And is there a way to size down a 2hr and 34 min movie file size with a cinepak codec?

Reply 8 of 10, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

From wikipedia:

Cinepak is a lossy video codec[1] developed by Peter Barrett at SuperMac Technologies, and released in 1991 with the Video Spigot, and then in 1992 as part of Apple Computer's QuickTime video suite. One of the first video compression tools to achieve full motion video on CD-ROM,[2] it was designed to encode 320×240 resolution video at 1× (150 kbyte/s) CD-ROM transfer rates.

So 2h34min at 150 kbyte/s is almost 1.3Gb. It cinepak is (at it seems) a fixed bitrate codec, there is no way to put your movie below 1Gb. It won't matter if you use ffmpeg, virtualdub, TRMOOV.EXE or the official encoding tools. To achieve 2h34min below 1Gb, you'll need a codec that can encode your video below 113 kbyte/s. Also, as I said before, more resolution means more size (for a given codec) but it seems that your tools already resize the video to fit in 320x240.

This can be easily done with any mpeg4 encoder, but you won't find any Windows 3.1 player that supports mpeg4 and no machine from that era will have enough CPU power to decode it.

I guess Intel Indeo will probably work in Windows 3.1, but I don't know which bitrates can you achieve with it. MPEG1 is aimed to put VHS videos into CDs (about 1hr/disc), but can be forced to use lower resolutions and bitrates... and some fast machines form that era (Pentium, but that's Windows 95 era) may decode it without additional hardware. MPEG2 and MPEG4 (that including DivX, Xvid and "proper" mp4 codecs) will need CPUs that nobody used with Windows 3.1.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 9 of 10, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is always the option to split a long video to smaller parts... ffmpeg can do this for you as well. When I get some time, I will try to write up the command line to do this. Maybe tonight...

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 10 of 10, by DOSfan1994

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
root42 wrote:

There is always the option to split a long video to smaller parts... ffmpeg can do this for you as well. When I get some time, I will try to write up the command line to do this. Maybe tonight...

And maybe use a video editor on Windows 3.1 to put those parts back together?