VOGONS

First post, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here's the story:

I'd like to use Server 2003 R2 once again after many years of using it last, but, there's an issue: the OS won't activate whatsoever.

I attempted to disable the certificate revocation (server and publisher) under Internet Settings > Advanced, disable the Microsoft Internet Explorer's Enhanced Security Configuration, install IE 8 for Server 2003 R2 Standard, and still nothing. I was about to call the activation hotline, but, I haven't done that in years.

On the positive side, I did get Windows XP Pro to activate on one of my Dell Inspiron 600m laptops and installed updates within updates, and put the ReadyPOS 2009 registry hack on there. Is there a better way to get the OS to activate (except, I will do the phone activation later on). Kind of odd that Microsoft still allows XP and Server 2003 to be activated.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 1 of 8, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had this problem last year. Just keep hammering the server and it will eventually activate. Then mirror your drive so you don't have this BS again.

Office 2003 is the same.

eta: Here is my old thread on this.

Last edited by Errius on 2018-08-06, 16:56. Edited 1 time in total.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 2 of 8, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd hazard a guess that activation requires encryption that is no longer supported due to it being a strong severity risk. But surely they could maintain some less-secure, highly-monitored activation servers to service activation requests, despite 2003R2SP2 being out of extended support since 14JUL2015 (14APR2009 without the service pack). And despite Errius' success last year, something could have further changed. "Just keep at it" I suppose.

"The Big Bang. The ultimate hero of low frequency. The divine intergalactical bass drum connecting the tribes of our solar system."
Yello
"Solar Driftwood"

Reply 3 of 8, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just had the same issue last night. The solution was to install SP2 and then update to IE8 and then the system was activated.

Basically without the updates the OS doesn't know the activating server got moved so can't connect (or something like that). Same reason Windows Update doesn't work with the built in IE6 from a new install.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 4 of 8, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The thing is, Server 2003 R2 has SP2 integrated, or maybe not. Who knows? I'll report back once I get my main PC out of storage since it has the CD key stored on the hard drive.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 5 of 8, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nah R2 is only at SP1 level. You still need to install SP2
If fact if you don't put the 2nd CD in during install it'll keep you at the non R2 level of 2003
(and I doubt many people ever really needed the extra R2 features)

I did call MS Activation few years ago after WinXP support had ended and was able to activate fine.
These days I just use Volume licence editions anyway. I keeping like for like, that is its not like I'm installing WinXP Pro on a PC that only has a XP Home licence on it and I can prove I have a licence for the actual product I'm using.

Reply 6 of 8, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sucks having authorization servers to begin with. Companies will eventually abandon old non profitable software or they might even go out of business eventually (or get bought out and shut down).

I have a retail version of Adobe Creative Suite 2 Premium which would be basically useless since Adobe shut down their authorization servers a long time ago. Adobe did make a hidden page with downloads and serials for users of this suite so they can still use it after a reformat. I prefer older software where you just needed a serial number.

Reply 7 of 8, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote:
Nah R2 is only at SP1 level. You still need to install SP2 If fact if you don't put the 2nd CD in during install it'll keep you […]
Show full quote

Nah R2 is only at SP1 level. You still need to install SP2
If fact if you don't put the 2nd CD in during install it'll keep you at the non R2 level of 2003
(and I doubt many people ever really needed the extra R2 features)

I did call MS Activation few years ago after WinXP support had ended and was able to activate fine.
These days I just use Volume licence editions anyway. I keeping like for like, that is its not like I'm installing WinXP Pro on a PC that only has a XP Home licence on it and I can prove I have a licence for the actual product I'm using.

Most people I know use a XP Media Center Edition to get around that.

Reply 8 of 8, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

IIRC, activation was the reason everybody hated Windows XP when it first came out.

Is this too much voodoo?