VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would like to run Fallout: New Vegas on WinXP.
The original Steam release supports XP, but Steam itself is now breaking on XP, so I'd like a permanent alternative.

Initially, I was excited to see that GoG had added Fallout: New Vegas to it's library. But as I was about to buy it, I noticed that the GoG version officially requires Windows 7 at minimum.

With older GoG releases, which officially required WinXP, it was possible to install them on Win98 by extracting the files from the installer using a 3rd party application called InnoExtract.
I have done this with Unreal Gold and Unreal Tournament, for example, and successfully run them on my Win98 machine.

Is that trick possible here? Can I use InnoExtract to extract the files from GoG's Windows7 installer and get the game installed and running under WinXP?
Or a less desirable alternative: If I install the game under Windows 7, can the installed game be easily transferred to a WinXP machine? Are all of it's files and settings contained under a parent folder that can be treated as portable?

I haven't bought the game so I can't experiment with it. But if anybody knows of a method to install GoG's version of New Vegas on XP, or even has information to suggest that it's likely to work, then I'd love to hear what you know. Thanks.

Reply 1 of 10, by Aideka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm not sure if they have changed something on their installer recently, but for me all of the GoG installers have worked on Windows XP in the past. Sadly I haven't got a computer with XP installed right now, but like a year ago the installers worked fine. I think the requirements on GoG site just try to tell you, that XP isn't officially supported by them anymore, so if you run into issues with an unsupported operating system they aren't obligated to offer support.

8zszli-6.png

Reply 2 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

When Steam stops working on XP use SmartSteamEmu if you don't want to have to track down a crack. No sense in wasting your money again.
May be worth it to pester Bethesda to remove the Steam client requirement from their games.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 10, by Aideka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

When Steam stops working on XP use SmartSteamEmu if you don't want to have to track down a crack. No sense in wasting your money again.
May be worth it to pester Bethesda to remove the Steam client requirement from their games.

Knowing Bethesda, if they remove the requirement they introduce 20 fatal bugs in the process and then supply a patch for them in Steam only...

8zszli-6.png

Reply 5 of 10, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote:

If they ever remove Steam client requirement, they'll probably introduce they games on Bethesda.net client, and that would be just another freaking launcher for games. Like I'm using two right now, and it's one too many...

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 6 of 10, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
K1n9_Duk3 wrote:

Last time I checked, I could still install the GOG version of New Vegas on my XP machine (SP3, 32 bit). But the GOG version of the game itself does not support XP anymore. 😢

Ouch, I didn't expect that. I wonder why the game itself would have been changed.
What exactly did it do when you tried to run it?

Reply 7 of 10, by Crank9000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
shamino wrote:

I haven't bought the game so I can't experiment with it. But if anybody knows of a method to install GoG's version of New Vegas on XP, or even has information to suggest that it's likely to work, then I'd love to hear what you know. Thanks.

Sorry for late answer, I noticed this topic when it was created but I had not registered yet and I thought someone else will answer for me.

Anyway, GOG version of FONV can easily be made to work with Windows XP. The problem is their Galaxy client that doesn't support XP, even the offline installer version comes with GalaxyWrp.dll which hooks into the exe and calls for something XP doesn't support. The confirmed solution is to take steam_api.dll from any steam game (not 100% sure have they been starting to lose XP support already though), rename that to GalaxyWrp.dll and replace the original with that.

If you don't have steam installed currently, someone uploaded the needed file to dropbox at GOG:
https://www.gog.com/forum/fallout_series/fall … or_gogs_package

Reply 8 of 10, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for that info and the link! From reading those forum threads, it looks like people have gotten this game working with that fix, so next time it goes on sale I'll probably buy it from GoG.
Thanks for posting and welcome to the forum.

Reply 9 of 10, by Crank9000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
shamino wrote:

Thanks for that info and the link! From reading those forum threads, it looks like people have gotten this game working with that fix, so next time it goes on sale I'll probably buy it from GoG.

Thanks! When I noticed GOG dropped XP support for FONV I started to backup every single XP supporting game I have on GOG, you never know when they break XP support if they decide to add unofficial patches and fixes for modern machines to their installers as they no longer test their games on XP.

Reply 10 of 10, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Crank9000 wrote:
shamino wrote:

Thanks! When I noticed GOG dropped XP support for FONV I started to backup every single XP supporting game I have on GOG, you never know when they break XP support if they decide to add unofficial patches and fixes for modern machines to their installers as they no longer test their games on XP.

True. As GoG continues to update things, and no longer cares about XP compatibility, XP might start breaking all over the place.
I've been gradually collecting installers for my GoG library but I still have a long ways to go. I don't know how I ended up with so much on there.