VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I no longer have it as this is coming from my memory, but some time back in the 90s my family owned what I remember as being a "massive" flat bed scanner. Our family wasn't wealthy and had no real need for anything specialized and I don't recall it needing anything more than a parallel cable.

One memory sticks in my mind is when I put a very large teddy bear on the bed and scanned it and was so surprised that it could fit (the fur was sticking out of the sides though).

My family had just bought a new computer that was some basic Pentium II machine by Compaq that was bought at a store. We got a scanner around the same time, possibly as a bundle from the same store or bought at the same time of purchase on an impulse for something might need or as a desire to scan documents. This adds support to the idea that we didn't spend a lot of money for an especially large scanner.

I've always wondered if the scanner was in fact as large as I remember or if it only seemed large because I was much smaller.

Most scanners of today that I find in a store all have fairly conservative bed sizes that are identical, regardless of the dimensions of the entire unit. This was to the point of my going into a store and being unable to find any listed dimensions on the box of a much larger scanner to compare with a smaller one. I wasn't allowed to open the box without purchasing it so I bought both, opened them up, found them to be exactly the same, and then returned them.

Was there a greater abundance of large flatbed scanners in the 90s? Possibly as they became an affordable consumer products in a bid by manufacturers to offer a better perceived value in a new market? Or is this just an oversized figment of my younger imagination.

And before anyone asks, no, I don't have the teddy bear anymore to compare.

Upon further thought, it's possible that the computer had a SCSI card with a port in the back. I think this is right.

pci_scsi_card.png
Filename
pci_scsi_card.png
File size
295.8 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 8, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, pretty much. I used to own a large flatbed Mustek scanner in the early 2000s; I even scanned some RPG books in service to the RPG book warez scene. Kind of ashamed now, but not so much. 😐

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 2 of 8, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought (and still have) two UMAX Astra 1200S SCSI-2 flatbed scanners about twenty years ago. I paid $300.00 for the first one and $150.00 for the second one. They allow you to make a scan of a legal size document (8.5 inches x 14 inches/ 21.6 cm x 35.6 cm) without having to use software to stitch together smaller pieces. Given how time consuming and aggravating a task that was back then, it was worth having the capability.

I remember walking into retailers like CompUSA and seeing a number of legal size flatbed scanners from multiple manufacturers in the late '90s.

Given how large the boxes for those types of scanners are and the transport costs today, it probably just makes more sense for retailers to drop ship or ship direct rather than wasting valuable inventory space on such an item.

Reply 3 of 8, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeh late 90's SCSI started to reach the home market with things like Zip disks and scanners, often the card was bundled with the device.
Didn't take long for parallel to hit the market once they became really affordable but the 2 standards still lived side by side in the home market.

Flatbed scanners were common till mid 2000's? when all in 1 devices started taking over which would typically be size of a A4/Legal page.

Reply 4 of 8, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

yeah. I still have one, the ultra awesome HP 4670, its basically the 'lid' of a flatbed scanner. you can place it on anything. its awesome and still works 😉 great for scanning pinball playfields and things.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 5 of 8, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

Yeah, pretty much. I used to own a large flatbed Mustek scanner in the early 2000s; I even scanned some RPG books in service to the RPG book warez scene. Kind of ashamed now, but not so much. 😐

A4 size Musteks were pretty much "the" scanners around where we live, during that time, due to their very acceptable prices compared to other big names like HP and Epson. They were being connected thru parallel port though, SCSI was still a bit pricey.

Mine was a Mikrotek by the way. I don't remember the model number but it was a 300 dpi affodable model with a sofware better than what comes with a Mustek.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 6 of 8, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Most people I know tend to scan at work as well, on the office photocopier/MFP, rather than at home, and loads of people just send pics of documents on phone cameras. Plus it's a miniaturization thing - as CRTs gave way to LCDs, no one liked having big computer equipment at home. Big scanners (A3+) are still pretty expensive as well.

In comparison to a modern A4 scanner, my Microtek X6EL from the 90s, which was Legal size capable at reasonable DPI, was a long beast - still have it, it was my very first international computer purchase, shipped down under at great expense (Can't remember the company, but I remember there was some weird marketing crossover involving maple syrup?). Anyway, my dad has a newer Epson V770 and that is much thicker, but shorter, and with fantastic quality. USB is a lot better for Plug n Play than external SCSI too!

Reply 7 of 8, by Cobra42898

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have two, one a Canon with a parallel port (and a pass through to the printer), and a visioneer with a USB connection. The Canon oddly enough is really slim and small, but I'd imagine the USB one is probably much faster. The Canon I think cost like $50? Back in the day. The other was a hand me down, so no idea there was.

Searching for Epson Actiontower 3000 486 PC.

Reply 8 of 8, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A4 flatbed scanners are still sufficiently common in households; they are just integrated into the MFU (printer+copier+scanner, and sometimes fax). There is just no justification for most people to have a separate scanner, as it has essentially the same footprint as an MFU, and you are likely to need a printer as well.

A3 flatbeds are another story. Also, if you have some need to scan very fine images at ultra-high DPI than the typical MFU does not provide, then maybe you can justify a separate device.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys