VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I get that it supports 9-pin CGA. But aren't there adapters for that?

What makes this thing demand such a price. I don't get it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/122016416572
https://www.ebay.com/itm/201042564638

Reply 2 of 4, by duga3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Probably because they will never sell a lot of these (compared to consumer mass market products), they could require custom low-run driver boards and other one-of-a-kind hardware/software, etc. There is probably no planned obsolence either because the industrial grade parts must be durable and reliable for a longer time because upgrading/retooling the whole factory sounds super expensive, one of the reasons why new products have only small incremental upgrades every year.

98/XP multi-boot system with P55 chipset (build log)
Screenshots
10Hz FM

Reply 3 of 4, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

To make lots of money, of course. 😁 It's a niche market, so they can do that.
Whether or not quality is any different from consumer stuff, is a question that can't be easily answered, I think.

I remember (ancient) stories about modern oscilloscopes (~80s) that were equipped with lead plates.
To make them more heavy, so their clienteles would accept them as "professional" gear.

Personally, I believe that this kind of industry-supporting small companies do a lot of ballyhoo
for something that could be assembled within a week on a Veroboard by a student.

I'm not talking about this monitor, but rather in general.
It's no real criticism, though, just my point of view.

I understand that they have to do that in order to sell that stuff.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 4, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I suppose that in the industry area, eletronics components come with a different faster warranty and expensive support if something get faulty. I also imagine many eletronic components works probably in lower/higher temperatures and all weather conditions. I remember PLC automation where many components were really built to work in all conditions.